Iron Spiral Barbarian Guide (Skill plan & Gearing section updated)

Tkorpi
Djinn
520 | 39
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Legendary Supporter Badge
Donated 25 times
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
i use same jewels on every piece but only if you can afford it by sacrificing resistances / defense in return.
Fendraz
Invader
8 | 0
Ok and another question .. i crafted jewels and i have a total of 12% life steal but it doesnt seem to do anything really .. Is there a minimum i need to start noticing the leech ? or would i be better off putting mo's with life on attack ? im level 103 right now, im killing fast but i take damage and cant always rely on health potions. thanks for fast response by the way
Fastazon
Skeleton
3 | 1
Currently using this build for my first full playthrough and it's working great. One thing I'm not clear on though is that it seems the community is pretty split on whether or not life leech is worth it. Right now I just have my sword socketed with life after each kill and orbed with life leech. Seems to be working fine at level 74 farming Baal and Kurast 3000 in Hatred (I farm Baal on Players 8 but Kurast I have trouble with anything above players 2 because of the incredible slow the mobs there have). I have the full set of early game uniques mostly T5+. I mostly use mana potions because I use up mana like you wouldn't believe. Every once in a while I have to chug a health pot or rejuv potion. I do get killed just like, out of nowhere every now and again and am having a hard time figuring out what's happening in those instances. My gear is mostly socketed for resists and then according to the priority listed in this guide. Just looking for any advice from people who are more experienced with this build than I am about what I can expect going forward.
ScarletEdge
Djinn
517 | 68
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Fendraz wrote:Ok and another question .. i crafted jewels and i have a total of 12% life steal but it...

There is a penalty on leech in higher difficulties, especially in Destruction. You'll need much more than that to feel a significant change in sustain.

Fastazon wrote:Currently using this build for my first full playthrough and it's working great. One thing I'm not clear on though is that it seems the community is pretty split on...

While both leech and Life after each Kill(LaeK) help in providing sustain, until you reach destruction LaeK is much more helpful given your lower health and damage output compared to later levels.

If you're just aiming to upgrade your TUs, you're better off farming Hatred Meph or Tran Athulua until you get the ACs you need. K3K is alright if you're looking for perfect gems or some lower level runes, otherwise its not worth the time. And there isn't much need to farm at that point in the game other than uptiering your gear. Just keep progressing until you reach Destruction.
Fendraz
Invader
8 | 0
Iv'e notice that leech at terror act 4 is pretty bad yeah. I swapped back to dao of xiansai and put only 3 ruby's in it, It helped me a lot. I will try to put life on attack mo's and see if that will help me get through act 5 until i find an ath rune to make skarn. I am still using the early game T6U with an honorific pair of boots also.. Finding nih rune will also help with my defense and i will probably have to make a merc soon.
ScarletEdge
Djinn
517 | 68
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Fendraz wrote:Iv'e notice that leech at terror act 4 is pretty bad yeah. I swapped back to dao of xiansai and put only 3 ruby's in it, It helped me a lot. I will try to put life on attack mo's and see if that will help me get through act 5 until i find an ath rune to make skarn. I am still using the early game T6U with an honorific pair of boots also.. Finding nih rune will also help with my defense and i will probably have to make a merc soon.

Life on attack is generally useful for melee builds that hit fast like melee sorc and unholy melee. Life after kill is your best bet until you get a huge boost in leech. You can also use
Bul Kathos' Teaching
Bul Kathos' Teaching
Kriegsmesser (4)

One-Hand Damage: (11 - 12) to (13 - 15)
(Barbarian Only)
Required Level: 13
Required Strength: 96
Item Level: 29
Strength Damage Bonus: (0.14 per Strength)%
2% Chance to cast level 4 Spike Nova on Melee Attack
+1 to Barbarian Skill Levels
+0.4375 to Maximum Damage (Based on Character Level)
+(25 to 48)% Damage to Demons
+(24 to 40)% Enhanced Damage
+(101 to 150) to Life
+(6 to 10) Life on Melee Attack
(3 to 5)% Bonus to Defense
Socketed (2)
One-Hand Damage: (30 - 33) to (36 - 40)
(Barbarian Only)
Required Level: 31
Required Strength: 141
Item Level: 40
4% Chance to cast level 8 Spike Nova on Melee Attack
+(1 to 2) to Barbarian Skill Levels
+0.5625 to Maximum Damage (Based on Character Level)
+(73 to 96)% Damage to Demons
+(58 to 75)% Enhanced Damage
+(201 to 250) to Life
+(16 to 20) Life on Melee Attack
(9 to 11)% Bonus to Defense
Socketed (4)
One-Hand Damage: (65 - 71) to (76 - 83)
(Barbarian Only)
Required Level: 50
Required Strength: 276
Item Level: 67
6% Chance to cast level 12 Spike Nova on Melee Attack
+(1 to 3) to Barbarian Skill Levels
+0.6875 to Maximum Damage (Based on Character Level)
+(121 to 144)% Damage to Demons
+(92 to 109)% Enhanced Damage
+(301 to 350) to Life
+(26 to 30) Life on Melee Attack
(15 to 17)% Bonus to Defense
Socketed (5)
One-Hand Damage: (83 - 90) to (100 - 108)
(Barbarian Only)
Required Level: 58
Required Strength: 543
Item Level: 85
8% Chance to cast level 14 Spike Nova on Melee Attack
+(2 to 3) to Barbarian Skill Levels
+0.75 to Maximum Damage (Based on Character Level)
+(145 to 168)% Damage to Demons
+(109 to 126)% Enhanced Damage
+(351 to 400) to Life
+(31 to 35) Life on Melee Attack
(18 to 20)% Bonus to Defense
Socketed (6)
until you get a better weapon. It gives just as much damage as a 2hand sword TU without the speed penalty.
Fendraz
Invader
8 | 0
I just made a bul kathos, i like it. It's faster and it gave me a taste of the life on attack. It's not so good either .. life after kill is really the way to go at that point in the game you're right. I think right now, i just have to play smart and not stand still for too long. I'll try to level up to 120 and farm for sacred asap. I'll give life leech another try later on and see by myself. I'll craft more jewels and by that time i will aim for 30%+ leech.

I'll keep posting updates on how everything goes.!

Thanks buddy.!
Jryan4
Fallen
1 | 0
Awesome guide, im digging my iron spriral barb so far. Only lvl 33 so far but, its fun.
romanN1
Core Lord
397 | 34
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Also made a barb after this guide. Works wonders. Went for dtouch, nero belt, knights grace, arreat snowcap and torajas champion, akarat nails.
Crash
Madawc
6799 | 327
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Showcase Badge
Median XL Broadcaster
Common Guide Badge
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
romanN1 wrote:Also made a barb after this guide. Works wonders. Went for dtouch, nero belt, knights grace, arreat snowcap and torajas champion, akarat nails.

Fire pierce where?