New Player Guide (1.2+) v1.05

Threads that no longer serve a purpose. Read-only.
NLGElijah
Vampiress
39 | 10
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
HechtHeftig wrote:„Level to 25 in arcane sanctuary“
God this bothers me much More than it should. You can easily gain level 30 in the sewers, even on /players 1 with max. 3 runs. There are tons of elite enemies like the pack, who in total give nice exp or those spiders, which grant even better you exp.

„Grind out level 35 in mephisto runs“ again this is imo wrong. With some patience you can get up to level 42-45 just by farming arcane crystals there, which also improves your gear a lot. Those invisible que-Hegans and their mobs grant so much exp. it‘s insane.

Sorry for sounding harsh. I‘m in a hurry.

Seems how you're so passionate about those two leveling spots I will change mine :P I was just going off of memory. I normally don't grind for levels while walking the game because I clear most of the areas before proceeding so it's usually not necessary. I will make those changes after this post. Thank you for your suggestions :)

RandomOnions wrote:Well Hecht you have to see what's necessary. I don't think I completed hatred above lvl 50 once. Killing Diablo at lvl 40 then going through a5. That's with 2-3 meph runs as well. People really overestimate how much gear you need. I didn't have any problems with my build (cold sorc, poison for immunities) both regarding killing speed and surviving. My merc died to Diablo and I was too lazy to res him so he wasn't a part of a5 either. This is solo without twinking as well.

Kind of my thinking as well, but I will list his leveling areas as alternatives. Realistically if you are clearing areas as you proceed you shouldn't even need to grind for levels on hatred.

RandomOnions wrote:That is correct however, also as mentioned durance of hate elite packs. Most newbs overlevel anyway that's why I don't want to encurage them to level even more.

That is the main reason I listed the areas the way I did. But they will either way make it to Halls by level 50 and A3 by level 80. The main issue is that they need to hit A3 Terror by 90. If they don't then it is goodbye LC2. I spaced out the leveling in a way to where they are never underleveled and dont run the risk of overleveling. I will add in his areas though with a note mentioning that you need to hit Flayer Jungle on Terror by 90.

HechtHeftig wrote:Well, you need to farm arcane crystals anyway for nearly any build. So you can do that while leveling. = win in 2 ways.

Edit: btw I wouldn‘t grind to 65 or 70 at Baal either. 60 is enough. Then go to k3k in hatred for ennead challenge and in order to farm gems/rings/amulets.

If the purpose is to get crystals then Nihly is MUCH more efficient and you dont run the risk of overleveling as much. If you are grinding in Act III you still have Act IV and Act V to fight through and gain levels in. That's why I recommended lower level caps for areas.

L H wrote:Who tf farms Baal for exp anyways? Play the game normal, pick up some AC's at meph, kill those elite summoner mobs and que hagens on the way to meph, hit about 42 by the time you pick up all your AC's, proceed to finish Hatred, do 1-2 hcows to hit lvl 60. If you really want to overlevel, go run Island of Sunless Sea with a couple XP elixirs you pick up along the way and you're sitting at 70-72 after 3 runs. Baal runs are a stupid and slow grind, honestly. Much faster ways and its very infrequently even necessary.

Why does everyone recommend farming Meph so adamantly? You don't need Tier 5-6 gear for act 4/5. You should realistically be trying to get to A5 very quickly for Nihlathak runs as you get higher TU's, and more of them. Literally no point in farming mephy for crystals IMO. Farming for a bit of xp? Sure.

Anyways, I will rework the leveling list to have some alternatives seems how people were so passionate about it here. Give me 5 minutes.
Crash
Madawc
6799 | 327
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Showcase Badge
Median XL Broadcaster
Common Guide Badge
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
It just depends on your character. Some characters need the crystals in order to progress smoothly vs a totem necro who needs to rush to a5 to get honorifics. I tend to play characters in the last couple seasons that require ac's and early exp to boost skills before proceeding and doing LC1. I'll usually go to about 42 in Meph and put most gear at t3-t4, then go to a5 for Nihlathak and level up to 49/50 while gathering AC's from him and the xp from the elite mobs along the way each time.
HechtHeftig
I paid 10$ for this.
2452 | 190
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
I agree with LH. Especially defense is really needed for some builds in order to finish LC 1 smoothly. Upgrading your items (or at least your body armor for build with lots of TCD) to T3-4 is really helpful for that to get around 10 k defense or more. That way LC1 will become rather easy for most builds.
NLGElijah
Vampiress
39 | 10
Great Popularity Badge
Common Guide Badge
L H wrote:It just depends on your character. Some characters need the crystals in order to progress smoothly vs a totem necro who needs to rush to a5 to get honorifics. I tend to play characters in the last couple seasons that require ac's and early exp to boost skills before proceeding and doing LC1. I'll usually go to about 42 in Meph and put most gear at t3-t4, then go to a5 for Nihlathak and level up to 49/50 while gathering AC's from him and the xp from the elite mobs along the way each time.

HechtHeftig wrote:I agree with LH. Especially defense is really needed for some builds in order to finish LC 1 smoothly. Upgrading your items (or at least your body armor for build with lots of TCD) to T3-4 is really helpful for that to get around 10 k defense or more. That way LC1 will become rather easy for most builds.

Well then are you both satisfied with the changes I made to the leveling parts of "General Progression"? Also I added a drop bias section. That part is useful to everyone :P
NLGElijah
Vampiress
39 | 10
Great Popularity Badge
Common Guide Badge
Guide will receive an update within the next day or two adding in a mercenary section. It will feature a brief description of each one, outline their skills, show what character's they are best for, and some general gear recommendations.
aerial
Cow Ninja
1282 | 236
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Great Mind Badge
A Median XL guru... a true book of knowledge
You know what this needs, a mini glide wrapper guide. You'd be surprised how many ppl are ignorant about it.
How to properly set it up, get all the supersampled juicy sharp image.

NLGElijah
Vampiress
39 | 10
Great Popularity Badge
Common Guide Badge
aerial wrote:You know what this needs, a mini glide wrapper guide. You'd be surprised how many ppl are ignorant about it.
How to properly set it up, get all the supersampled juicy sharp image.

If you know a guide somewhere I can look at then that'd be great and I can add it. I am a bit familiar with how glide works, but generally don't mess around with it.
aerial
Cow Ninja
1282 | 236
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Great Mind Badge
A Median XL guru... a true book of knowledge
I made one myself:

NLGElijah
Vampiress
39 | 10
Great Popularity Badge
Common Guide Badge
aerial wrote:I made one myself:

Awesome :D thanks. I will add that in here in a few minutes. Just need to finish up a few things I am working on. I will also add you to the credits at the end of the guide :)
Unda
Onyx Knight
621 | 23
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Another topic worth a few words or redirection link is slow effects (types, overriding, when it stack up and when dont, caps).
Maybe old topic about magic find can also help in that guide.

You can add links to old forum (some informations can be outdated as versions changed during that time):
http://www.medianxl.com/t2798-slow-mechanics
http://www.medianxl.com/t3196-magic-find-mf-mechanics

---

You can add info about that after finishing Quest One in Act 5 the value of bought/sold stuff from/to vendors in Harrogath will be better for player than in other Acts, example: Larzuk selling Mystic Orbs for 10k gold each.