Elder Shaman - Summon Barbarian Guide [1.3]

liquidd
Fallen
1 | 0
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
with bear stance nerf, is this build still viable? what changes should we make to compensate if any?
ScarletEdge
Djinn
517 | 68
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
liquidd wrote:with bear stance nerf, is this build still viable? what changes should we make to compensate if any?

Bear Stance damage bonus removal has very little impact on this build given that:

1) Main source of character EWD is Shamanic Trance + Spirit Guide (Bear Stance gave the least)
2) Main source of Merc and Minion damage is Nephalem Spirit which remains unchanged.

The main point of using Bear Stance is to increase defense and cap out party DR%. You have plenty of other damage sources within this build.
Ayrill
Dark Huntress
14 | 0
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Hello :)

thanks for the guide, im leveling my barbar right now (lvl 30 now).
but i got a huge problem.. if is change the zone.. or sometimes just randomly my spirits disapear.. vanish.. die.. i don't know..
is there a reason for that? its annoying af if i have to recast them every 2-3minutes even if i do not fight.. :o
Gekko64
Shadowgate Totem
1728 | 102
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
make a nef rw staff and keep it on switch, when you see your summons disappear on the minimap use Blink oskill to bring em all back together
EarthBounder
Bone Archer
70 | 1
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Just a mechanics questions have never used the barb summons before -- they don't actually walk around at all and therefore you have to use the spirit walk teleport to move around properly, right? Doesn't this get annoying that you MUST teleport to walk at all? The videos are hard on the eyes.

Although maybe I'm just crazy. Enigma was fine...
LG_Blitz
Bone Archer
70 | 5
EarthBounder wrote:Just a mechanics questions have never used the barb summons before -- they don't actually walk around at all and therefore you have to use the spirit walk teleport to move around properly, right? Doesn't this get annoying that you MUST teleport to walk at all? The videos are hard on the eyes.

Although maybe I'm just crazy. Enigma was fine...

The barb can walk, but the spirits arent like normal summons, they dont follow you so you have to teleport to an enemy so that they can damage the enemy.
ScarletEdge
Djinn
517 | 68
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Barbarian Spirits do not follow your character like normal minions. This is the price for being able to use skills unlike other minions.
Until you have a reliable Spirit Walk cooldown, you'll have to make do with Blink on Nef Staff. It's a bit tedious at first, but it gets the job done. It'll be much smoother later on.
purplet
Cultist
22 | 1
I have played this build for the last weeks now. Furstenberg of all thank you for the guide.

I want to adress jewels vs runes. I want to vote for jewels.
I thought about it for a while now, went back And forth, also tried runemaster.

For farming there is no need for insane defense, I died in situations being careless watching our. Baby instead of the screen with both 1.3 and 250k def.

With that in mind runes are 100%worse than jewels. getting double the rune value, and 20%minion life or 10%mf and 10%minion life is great but I didn't really feel the difference of extra minions life honestly vs LUM.

But I went on. And got myself some fhr and fcr affix and man it helped so much. Recasting faster is so very strong that I believe that anybody should at least consider jewels.
ScarletEdge
Djinn
517 | 68
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
purplet wrote:I have played this build for the last weeks now. Furstenberg of all thank you for the guide.

For farming there is no need for insane defense, I died in situations being careless watching our. Baby instead of the screen with both 1.3 and 250k def.

With that in mind runes are 100%worse than jewels. getting double the rune value, and 20%minion life or 10%mf and 10%minion life is great but I didn't really feel the difference of extra minions life honestly vs LUM.

But I went on. And got myself some fhr and fcr affix and man it helped so much. Recasting faster is so very strong that I believe that anybody should at least consider jewels.

Thanks for the feedback! While I mostly agree with your sentiments, I'd just like to point out two things:

1) I generally recommend runes to make gearing simpler. Naturally, jewels have more potential.
2) You don't need FCR on jewels because Spirit Guide already overcaps your FCR. Of course this is not applied while in town so if that's what you meant, then I suppose that is helpful.

But other than that, yes. Crafting jewels with more minions stats and MF would better suit our purposes.
purplet
Cultist
22 | 1
ScarletEdge wrote:
purplet wrote:I have played this build for the last weeks now. Furstenberg of all thank you for the guide.

Thanks for the feedback! While I mostly agree with your sentiments, I'd just like to point out two things:

1) I generally recommend runes to make gearing simpler. Naturally, jewels have more potential.
2) You don't need FCR on jewels because Spirit Guide already overcaps your FCR. Of course this is not applied while in town so if that's what you meant, then I suppose that is helpful.

But other than that, yes. Crafting jewels with more minions stats and MF would better suit our purposes.

Yip, i meant casting the army in town, should have said that^^. It really makes a ton of difference to me, after a death at an uber, after a run or even after just a silly death using the healing npc to not have a mana pause (if h ad more charms that would not be an issue i believeXD).

Good points.