Introduction to Mechanics Guide

Find a handful of guides and walkthroughs here!
Puden
Core Lord
370 | 5
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
"WDM based procs: All arrow/javelin/knife procs scale distance with level, but do 50% wdm"
So level 2 arrow will do 100%? :think: :think: :think:
Thraxis
Thunder Beetle
55 | 37
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Common Contest Badge
Has won a forum contest
No, I'll reword that to be more clear. The distance scales, but the damage is consistent. I've been trying to free up some time to add to and edit the guide, hopefully next week will have a new section and some clarifications.

shibley wrote:Thanks for putting this together, very informative. As you continue to add to it, can you include a section on Feedback Damage from Sorc Arcane tree? It is a very unique damage mechanic that doesn't have much info online. I've read elsewhere that Immersion and Mana Sweep act as Physical Damage, and the only way to either add Phys Damage, Phys Damage Pierce, or Feeddback Damage is with Sorc Ultimate skill, Chronofield. Trying to see if there is any other way to add Phys damage/pierce (or even Feedback Damage) to boost damage. Otherwise, increasing max mana, increasing + to skills, or increasing cast rate are the only ways to increase damage with an Arcane Sorc. I'm speccing summons from Sorc trees as well (Blade Spirits/Ice Elementals) but they act more as meat shields than damage dealers.

I'll take a look at what I can write about feedback damage. But you've pretty much got it right there. The only way to boost it is with your stated ways. Feedback is considered phys, and scales with phys pierce, mana and skills. I did want to look into what sources of phys pierce stack and if something like Doom (which works as - flat physical damage taken) would improve it (I don't think it does, but i'm not 100% sure).

Unfortunately I haven't has much time as I hoped to pop back in and answer questions and update this guide, but over time it'll evolve and include a "Weird odds and ends" portion where things like that will be stated. There's quite a few things I have to take some time to really delve deep into and some would require things that I can't readily access, like a list of all missiles/attacks characters can use and the Next Delay stat on them, or having access to a test dummy with a debug screen going to show damage easily to test certain things.
shibley
Dark Huntress
14 | 0
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Thraxis wrote:I'll take a look at what I can write about feedback damage. But you've pretty much got it right there. The only way to boost it is with your stated ways. Feedback is considered phys, and scales with phys pierce, mana and skills. I did want to look into what sources of phys pierce stack and if something like Doom (which works as - flat physical damage taken) would improve it (I don't think it does, but i'm not 100% sure).

Unfortunately I haven't has much time as I hoped to pop back in and answer questions and update this guide, but over time it'll evolve and include a "Weird odds and ends" portion where things like that will be stated. There's quite a few things I have to take some time to really delve deep into and some would require things that I can't readily access, like a list of all missiles/attacks characters can use and the Next Delay stat on them, or having access to a test dummy with a debug screen going to show damage easily to test certain things.

Thanks man - the more I play the class the more straight forward it seems. Would be interested in Doom though.
hpmons
Dark Huntress
14 | 1
One thing I would like is a generic ubers guide - e.g. extra resists for Quov Tsin as he does elemental damage and can curse, for Teganze get life%, life on kill etc as they ignore your resistances, Kabraxis needs high...is it lightning and poison?

A lot of this is said or hinted at in the documentation, but it would be nice to have somewhere that just states what kind of attacks the enemies do and what kind of defences they have, thus what affixes you want to overcome them (though obviously this varies somewhat by class).
Eadan
Stygian Watcher
44 | 0
Thraxis wrote:1.) Different sources of slow means slow is applied via different "states". What's a state? It doesn't necessarily have to be visible, but in most cases it is. For example: every morph in the game is a different state, every curse that looks differently is a different state, every buff/debuff is a state. Some of those states stack (like buffs) and some don't (like curses/morphs). So, what are other "slow sources"? Basically anything that will slow an enemy (for example: Chronofield, Spellbind, etc.), but doesn't use the same state/animation as the slow we get from items.
CONCLUSION: Slow is capped at 90% for ONE source (example: slow from items), but 95% for MORE sources (example: slow from items + slow from some skill).

Thanks for the guide. Do you know if the same enemy can have miasma , doom and poison damage on it at the same time? I ask because they all turn the enemy to different colors.
MUS01
Cog
201 | 3
"Multiple poison sources do not stack, the highest damage per second instance will overwrite the other. This means that a 1 second poison can and will overwrite a 40 second poison if its damage per second is higher, even if total damage dealt is less. On the other hand, repeatedly attacking a target with poison will guarantee that the highest damage per second possible will be applied in case of varying dps. "

I have a question about this... I hit some monsters with Snake stance and Thunder slam... Snake stance deals 4218-6328 over 2.4 secs... I have equiped Slimedrool tier 6 that Adds (226 to 450)-(451 to 900) poison damage over 6 seconds.
My questions is: I hit the monster with TS with SS on. Then, I switch to fortress as secondary attack, but using this time wolf stance for "speed up" the killing process.
1- the original poison damage (TS + SS on + slimedrool poison damage) is still applied for the 2.4 secs ¿
1-or is reseted by the "new" poison damage: (226 to 450)-(451 to 900) poison damage over 6 seconds from Slimedrool?
Selenis
Destroyer
6 | 0
Thraxis wrote:1: Ethereal Bonus (50% base damage on weapon)
2: %Enhanced Damage (%ED)
3: +Flat Damage.
4: %Physical Damage, this includes %EWD from items, %damage from skills / passives and buffs and str/dex factor, which are all ADDED up into one big multiplier (%dmg = %EWD + %physdmg + %dex/strbonus)
5: Deadly Strike (if it rolls successfully, x2 all damage up until this point)
6: %Conversion is applied.
7: +Flat elemental damage from weapon/gear/skills.
8: %WDM of skill used.[/spoil]

Interesting read, thanks :)
Could you please post the actual formula for this calculation? (if you know it of course)
mortimer_85
Djinn
520 | 230
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
besides that ethereal Bonus is now only 25 % the formula is already posted with this order of application.
Simply go from top to bottom and put Parenthesis Around the expression on every step and apply next multiplier....
BrecMadak
Sasquatch
65 | 2
Thraxis, thanks for putting this doc here. I was wondering if you are going to update it to fit per 2.0?
Sharkattactical
Rust Claw
88 | 1
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Does deadly strike work with projectiles? Playing maelstom sin