The TLDR 2H Barb

Find a handful of guides and walkthroughs here!
aerial
Cow Ninja
1282 | 236
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Great Mind Badge
A Median XL guru... a true book of knowledge
Noctulebarb is definitely one way to do it. Question is if it is better than deathgaze.
Forces us to go dual wield, saves 7-10 skill points depending if you skip entire axe tree.
youtube.com/ae1337
PlayerOne
Abomination
155 | 8
In the Valthek fight in Yshari Sanctum, I must be missing something...

I can't see how you're getting any damage on Valthek. The only skill that seems to damage Valthek himself (according to tooltips on the skills) is Holy Bolt which fires a really slow moving little pink thing with quite a short range (half a screen at most) and worse - it also hits the guards so it won't hit Val if any guards are in the way. And it has a 5 sec cooldown so you can't even spam it :(

Looking at your video, it seems as if Arcane Blast is the only thing that could be doing the damage since you are never close to Val so the chances of hitting him with Holy Bolt once, let alone enough times to do the damage you're doing, are almost nil.

What am I missing?
Edited by PlayerOne 4 years.
Crash
Madawc
6799 | 327
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Showcase Badge
Median XL Broadcaster
Common Guide Badge
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
aerial wrote:Noctulebarb is definitely one way to do it. Question is if it is better than deathgaze.
Forces us to go dual wield, saves 7-10 skill points depending if you skip entire axe tree.

deathgaze is significantly higher wdm than noctule (like 60% vs 35% I think?) and the auto-tracking axes are much better for leveling in early game because density is lower, so the axes will seek outwards vs the bat multihitting from noctule focusing on a smaller aoe around the target
smartasss
Cow Ninja
1218 | 11
Common Posting Badge
Great Auction Badge
Won 200 auctions
Crash wrote:
aerial wrote:Noctulebarb is definitely one way to do it. Question is if it is better than deathgaze.

deathgaze is significantly higher wdm than noctule (like 60% vs 35% I think?) and the auto-tracking axes are much better for leveling in early game because density is lower, so the axes will seek outwards vs the bat multihitting from noctule focusing on a smaller aoe around the target

Noctule is 65% wdm with much higher number of hits. Deathgaze auto-track radius is more or less that same as Noctule.
Crash
Madawc
6799 | 327
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Showcase Badge
Median XL Broadcaster
Common Guide Badge
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
really? weird, I swear noctule was 35% my bad. I'd still heavily make a case for deathgaze in overall f eeling stronger even as an oskill, non op barb)

PlayerOne wrote:In the Valthek fight in Yshari Sanctum, I must be missing something...

I can't see how you're getting any damage on Valthek. The only skill that seems to damage Valthek himself (according to tooltips on the skills) is Holy Bolt which fires a really slow moving little pink thing with quite a short range (half a screen at most) and worse - it also hits the guards so it won't hit Val if any guards are in the way. And it has a 5 sec cooldown so you can't even spam it :(

Looking at your video, it seems as if Arcane Blast is the only thing that could be doing the damage since you are never close to Val so the chances of hitting him with Holy Bolt once, let alone enough times to do the damage you're doing, are almost nil.

What am I missing?

Arcane Blast is the green lightning that damages the guards. The guards give an aura required to unlock the yshari skills. Kill most of the guards but keep one or two around just the aura, then you can holy bolt valthek (there's been a lot of reports of a visual bug where the missile is invisible)
PlayerOne
Abomination
155 | 8
Crash wrote:Arcane Blast is the green lightning that damages the guards. The guards give an aura required to unlock the yshari skills. Kill most of the guards but keep one or two around just the aura, then you can holy bolt valthek (there's been a lot of reports of a visual bug where the missile is invisible)

Sure, that's what I understood from the skill descriptions but in the video aerial's character is never near Valthek and there are always lots of guards (enough to block any Holy Bolt) - but somehow Valthek's life goes down quite consitently a little chunk every now and again.

The invisible Holy Bolt may explain why I'm not seeing it but then... a small pale pink blob would be hard see in all that firework display anyway! But visible or not, it would never hit Valthek enough to kill him in 12 minutes from what I saw on the vid.

I had been been trying to get to just a couple of guards in the same way as you suggested but it never seems to work (and the immunity spell never seems to make me immune to Valthek's spells, only the guards'). Maybe I just need more practice.

But I may skip this quest tbh since the charm looks a bit rubbish for all the effort needed to get it (I mean, at level 125+ who needs elemental resists?).

Thanks for the thoughts. :)
aerial
Cow Ninja
1282 | 236
Common Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Great Mind Badge
That charm is pretty good actually, skill, crushing blow. I'd be pissed if after all this work to get yshari set i'd have to give up on final charm.
Hard for me to tell whats wrong, as you can clearly see how its done in video. I didn't have such issue, other than heard about bug that sometimes your skill doesn't trigger, after you die, thus ppl recommend switching weapons after death to ensure they "reequip" set. But I don't even know if thats still needed.

As for noctule, isn't it 45%? Thats what I'm seeing in my client from flail.
My experience after testing it, its better single target to stationary target, if you can just spam it, but for overall clear auto tracking of deathgaze seems better.

After further testing I'm also not convinced going that dual wield setup with sword. Even with all speed advantages, 2h axe just packs so much more base damage, it simply is better.
Trying to figure out new version of the build for next patch, thats gonna go around multiple little nerfs that will come. I'm gonna update with whatever I think is new optimal route to go. As for now I can definitely say it will be still fully viable.
youtube.com/ae1337
haemoneptra
Pit Knight
100 | 2
yes, noctule is 45%. Still prefer deathgaze, but that's a personal view.
aerial
Cow Ninja
1282 | 236
Common Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Great Mind Badge
Realistically comparing best 1h crafted sword youd use with noctule flail (or even deathgaze and some axe), you end up with 61% less average damage and 1 frame faster attack speed. Thunderfury proc also in favor of 2h. Rest is mostly quality of life, advantages of dual wield.
So I think I'm gonna go 2h axe same as before.
youtube.com/ae1337
thysick
Pit Knight
115 | 0
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Hi Aerial, about to start playing your Barb. Any way to make the gear hsow which TU to get? just TU chain boots... not familiar with that, or i could Search in the TU uniques and find it somehow... Hope ill enjoy lvling.

Can you Share your d2stats item filter Notification notes? dont like Default.