The TLDR 2H Barb

Find a handful of guides and walkthroughs here!
aerial
Cow Ninja
1282 | 236
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Great Mind Badge
A Median XL guru... a true book of knowledge
For rifts there is one thing that is way better even than max res: being ranged.
Just respec from dgaze to overkill, and from RM to glad dominance. Mix in some more dex crafts, split stats between more dex and vit to reach max block.
Max block allows you to block some types of elemental projectile attacks, I'm not sure which ones exactly but that is massive bonus. That plus fact even vs physical, 200k def (no runemaster) + maxblock is already significantly better than 700k def with no block imo.
Overkill is also very powerful at clearing small/medium packs, 110% wdm multihit, you can slowly clear much tougher content than as melee.

As for some of the gear. Warmonger helm is very good if you wanna speed up clearing easier content, like duncraig/fauzt, these splash hits 1-2 shot area around your character, and deathgaze projectiles chase stuff thats out of range. It is amazing. I can see if you are not impressed by it, if you want clear tough content, slow-clear high rifts, then its not what you are looking for. But vs normal ubers, it really is much better than other options for melee imo.
Otherwise as mentioned earlier, witchhunter helm with great stats and 2 all res is hard to pass for rifts.
As for switch, I'd argue you may get more value out of colosseum oskill sword, you can use that vs bosses for all the debuff and -100% defense. It is really pretty neat buff.

In general I would'nt stress too much about deep rifts with melee axe barb, its strict anti-melee content, its annoying even in low rifts, where you sometimes get hit by volley of 20 missiles offscreen that can seriously surprise you. As ranged spec that constantly sutter-steps moves around and throws, this is never a problem and you start with huge advantage.
youtube.com/ae1337
SuperJ
Invader
8 | 0
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Thanks Aerial.
I figured melee was pretty much trash in labyrinth. That's dumb we get shafted out of endgame. Aside from the fact I enjoy melee barb, there's no point since it doesn't particularly shine at anything endgame.
What's your opinion on Khazra vs Erawan? I'm not that impressed with it. More vitality seems better. Throw it on merc for buff I suppose.
Colosseum oskill sword instead of qaraks or berserker? or do you mean use the crafted sword with colosseum as a different off-hand weapon swap for debuffing ubers?

for gear something like:
Axe: Lacerator
Shield: ? Hakan II?
Gloves: Crafted/blessed dex
Boots: Wind Runner
Helm: Witchhunter's Hood
Ring: 2x Adrenaline Rush
Amulet: Death Ward
Armor: Erawan
Buff: Berserker/Qarak's
Debuff: Colosseum oskill/?
aerial
Cow Ninja
1282 | 236
Common Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Great Mind Badge
Colosseum for debuff, you swap, jump on target, swap back to main weapon. Just saying it might be better than nerfed versions of motw/bloodlust that provide fairly minor ewd bonuses these days. You can technically use both just swap in inventory, but I wouldn't bother.

Khazra is better than erawan, because of the demon blood aura (huge %life), 10% deadly strike also is great. If you struggle with str req, you can maybe try using -10req jewel crafts there, to lower it a bit.
And I mean, if we are talking rich - you could go natasha runeword, up to +5% all max res, big phys res, this thing can be bis by miles, if you have enough cash.

As for throwing axe, check out 6x earth, this rw is pretty good, 15 dr, +~200 damage, and great proc, basically auto cast screaming eagle debuff (should be able to buff proc duration by pumping skill a bit which should inherit skill duration). Lacerator isn't that good if you don't itend using bear claw nova, and you shouldn't use that in lab. Overkill should be by far the best throwing skill there.

As for amulet, I'd consider good rare with lightning arena, that stun nova is very valuable defensively, amount of free stun to ranged enemies it can provide really adds up to other layers of defense. Not to mention rares can be really good, with high flat life, potential good procs such as banish and so on.
youtube.com/ae1337
SuperJ
Invader
8 | 0
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
aerial wrote:As for throwing axe, check out 6x earth, this rw is pretty good, 15 dr, +~200 damage, and great proc, basically auto cast screaming eagle debuff (should be able to buff proc duration by pumping skill a bit which should inherit skill duration). Lacerator isn't that good if you don't itend using bear claw nova, and you shouldn't use that in lab. Overkill should be by far the best throwing skill there.

As for amulet, I'd consider good rare with lightning arena, that stun nova is very valuable defensively, amount of free stun to ranged enemies it can provide really adds up to other layers of defense. Not to mention rares can be really good, with high flat life, potential good procs such as banish and so on.

Tried throw barb. Total trash, but maybe it was my build. Do you still go full str? do you worry about getting max block? Just seems like if I want to run labs or any end game there are way better characters to play as than barb. Deathgaze is fun, but not particularly good at anything.
aerial
Cow Ninja
1282 | 236
Common Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Great Mind Badge
Obviously you go block, if you go 1h, block uberskill is too strong not to take. You split dex/vit, str has bad returns especially with all ewd from wolf stance, that diminishes ewd from str. Build like this IS significantly tankier than melee version because block is superior. You also debuff with screamign eagle curse (at least in lab tiers where curses still work).
Whats strong about it is heavy leech potential, overkill is pure physical 110% wdm, which means it can leech ton of life.
If you wanna do well in high tier lab you just need those max resists, so this is more of gear/wealth check than build problem really. Its designed so those few ppl who wanna complete it have incentive to trade.

Deathgaze is not that special as I state at the beginning of guide. This is solo self found build to get deep as new player, simple, but I wouldn't build it with heavy investments in mind, there are better builds/characters for that. This was never intended to be endgame farming spec.
youtube.com/ae1337
Orr
Monkey King
285 | 7
Hello, Mele Barb is still viable for Uldy or Should Change Overkill/Fortress Like Kabraxis?
aerial
Cow Ninja
1282 | 236
Common Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Great Mind Badge
Overkill with block. As melee its gonna be a nightmare.
youtube.com/ae1337
casually1987
Thunder Beetle
54 | 1
for the barb labrys sacred what is the best shrine to use?

I was thinking weird or creepy but I heard you say intimidating is best?
Also what stats do you value most in a craft like if you were to rank them ie.
1. % max dmg 150-200%
2. + max damage
3. Attack speed
4. % AR
5. procs?

and what shrine do you like blessing a weapon craft with?
riddyl
Stygian Watcher
42 | 1
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Struggling a bit with xazax, is there a way to cheese it with better gear? Once the room fills up a bit even with blast wave I get overwhelmed. Is he weak to fire so I can use ancients hand?

Also what do you mean by Eagle healer. Is it just the same build with Eagle stance maxed? I guess then str for gear, little-no Dex and huge vita?
aerial
Cow Ninja
1282 | 236
Common Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Great Mind Badge
riddyl wrote:Struggling a bit with xazax, is there a way to cheese it with better gear? Once the room fills up a bit even with blast wave I get overwhelmed. Is he weak to fire so I can use ancients hand?

Also what do you mean by Eagle healer. Is it just the same build with Eagle stance maxed? I guess then str for gear, little-no Dex and huge vita?

Healer means you spec exclusively for high health and healing rate from eagle stance. You don't deal any damage in those fights, all you do is survive and run around, which means you can make dedicated build. This applies to void final fight or witch for example.

As for xazax, maybe you need more damage, he doesn't take that long to kill, if you take even 5% of his health every time you rush him, that takes only 20 attacks to kill him, and thats enough room in this map to fit all his minions and control them with blast wave. I'm not aware if he is more vulnerable to specific element.

casually1987 wrote:for the barb labrys sacred what is the best shrine to use?

I was thinking weird or creepy but I heard you say intimidating is best?
Also what stats do you value most in a craft like if you were to rank them ie.
1. % max dmg 150-200%
2. + max damage
3. Attack speed
4. % AR
5. procs?

and what shrine do you like blessing a weapon craft with?

Intimidating gives you deadly strike which is straight multiplier to total damage. 5% ds = 5% total damage, since almost all our damage comes from base physical. It is really strong. Also iirc intimidating shrines roll some base %ed, which means it is easier to roll high enhanced damage weapon, and lowers chance you get +max damage roll on a 0ed weapon, which pretty much bricks the craft.
I would rank stats in this order:
1. +max damage (sole reason to even use craft, must have that +300-350ish roll)
2. good max %damage to get it to 200% with MO at very least

These are baseline, rest is optional, hard to list them in order.
You don't care about attack speed for example, because of wolf stance you have enough of it, its least desirable stat, you wanna get value from your stance. AR from lucky upgrade is the only way, or abandoned shrine to get it, good, but not deal breaker.
Procs can be nice for clear, atmg, spike nova, sor. +barb skills are very decent to have, can get up to +5.
Slows target is very good, goes up to 30%, and bosses are capped at 25%, so that alone caps your slow.
youtube.com/ae1337