The TLDR 2H Barb

Find a handful of guides and walkthroughs here!
Seikun
Abomination
154 | 8
Istaryu wrote:
rugby_1 wrote:
No plan to dual wield. Just thinking of using thunder king as main hand + shield when it comes to ubers (using crafted great sword for generic farming). In some of the earlier Sam kills on the showcase thread, there is discussion as to how orange text modifiers don't work when a weapon is used while dual wielding or on off-hand.

Whats the point of using a shield on an str build?

Shield provides flat def, further enhanced by TCD parameter. Barbarian in particular has access to Gilded Shield with very high base def.
Then again, on top of being sturdy, some shields like
The Ancients' Legacy
The Ancients' Legacy
Gilded Shield (Sacred)

Defense: (15050 - 16085) to (17457 - 18740)
Chance to Block: 3%
(Barbarian Only)
Required Level: 100
Required Strength:
Item Level: 120
+4 to Barbarian Skill Levels
2% Base Block Chance
40% Block Speed
Weapon Physical Damage +90%
+(172 to 200)% Enhanced Defense
+5000 Defense
30% Bonus to Defense
Requirements +250%
Socketed (4)
and
Warpath (Xis)
add quite a lot to offensive capabilities.
rugby_1
Son of Lucion
724 | 4
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Seikun wrote:
Istaryu wrote:
rugby_1 wrote:
No plan to dual wield. Just thinking of using thunder king as main hand + shield when it comes to ubers (using crafted great sword for generic farming). In some of the earlier Sam kills on the showcase thread, there is discussion as to how orange text modifiers don't work when a weapon is used while dual wielding or on off-hand.

Whats the point of using a shield on an str build?

Shield provides flat def, further enhanced by TCD parameter. Barbarian in particular has access to Gilded Shield with very high base def.
Then again, on top of being sturdy, some shields like
The Ancients' Legacy
The Ancients' Legacy
Gilded Shield (Sacred)

Defense: (15050 - 16085) to (17457 - 18740)
Chance to Block: 3%
(Barbarian Only)
Required Level: 100
Required Strength:
Item Level: 120
+4 to Barbarian Skill Levels
2% Base Block Chance
40% Block Speed
Weapon Physical Damage +90%
+(172 to 200)% Enhanced Defense
+5000 Defense
30% Bonus to Defense
Requirements +250%
Socketed (4)
and
Warpath (Xis)
add quite a lot to offensive capabilities.

Yep exactly, not to mention Thunder King is a one-hand weapon.
Istaryu
Harpylisk
1441 | 58
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
You are trading a lot of damage for a little bit of defense, how is that worth it?
Seikun
Abomination
154 | 8
Istaryu wrote:You are trading a lot of damage for a little bit of defense, how is that worth it?

Not an axiom, really. Good shield can provide with more base def than all other armor pieces combined, and some offensive boost as well.
PizzaGater
Banned
652 | 9
Seikun wrote:
Istaryu wrote:You are trading a lot of damage for a little bit of defense, how is that worth it?

Not an axiom, really. Good shield can provide with more base def than all other armor pieces combined, and some offensive boost as well.

I don't think it would work. from what I've seen on top builds they never mitigate dmg sources but instead focus everything on an element (here light dmg)

that's why I suggested maybe an helm like bul kathos temper to help maxing dmg with thunder king
DesolanceR
Destroyer
7 | 0
Hi, I need some help regarding the crafted items. Weapons mostly. I don't understand how it works really. I'm reading the compendium but it seems I'm dumb :P. (viewtopic.php?t=19419#2-1) I'm interested mostly in recomendations and the process. Do I need a Sacred rare weapon or sacred superior gray weapon? If grey how do I boost damage ? If yellow do I use oil than shrine afterwards then blessing and look for what? I feel like the dmg on my crafts are quite low. Thank you
Wulf
Onyx Knight
648 | 120
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
DesolanceR wrote:Hi, I need some help regarding the crafted items. Weapons mostly. I don't understand how it works really. I'm reading the compendium but it seems I'm dumb :P. (viewtopic.php?t=19419#2-1) I'm interested mostly in recomendations and the process. Do I need a Sacred rare weapon or sacred superior gray weapon? If grey how do I boost damage ? If yellow do I use oil than shrine afterwards then blessing and look for what? I feel like the dmg on my crafts are quite low. Thank you

to shrine-craft something, it needs to be 1) a sacred item and 2) yellow colored (rare rarity).

a lot of the times, rare items are hard to find. to combat this, a common trick people do is to find the sacred base (any color, oil of renewal it to make it white-colored), then bring it to charsi imbue to turn it rare. then youll be able to craft the newly acquired rare item with shrines. shrine crafting is pretty much like rerolling a rare, but instead of 6 affixes, you get 4 affixes PLUS the shrine bonuses (these bonuses can be found in the docs).

after several dozens of shrine rolls, you will find the 2 affixes youre looking for (150-200ed and 250-375 max dmg), THEN its time to bless it. bless should only be done on items that rolled good affixes.

such crafts can get pretty powerful to the point where they beat very rare sacred uniques. just keep in mind that the most important part of a craft is not the shrine bonuses, but the base affixes the item can roll. ideally, for weapon-based characters, you want your crafted weapon to have ed, min dmg and max dmg. but these are very very rare so people start with a simple ed-max dmg weapon and slowly roll a spare weapon on the side as they find more shrines. then when you get an upgrade, you switch both weapon and repeat the process.
DesolanceR
Destroyer
7 | 0
Thank you for your response @Wolf. I think I got this somewhat. So basically I will just need to reroll (shrine) a sacred yellow with both ~180ed and ~350 dmg. After that if I like the rest of the affixes on it I should bless. I should have two of these and always reroll the weaker one. Haven't played in 2 years median and forgot, but that d2 remaster news got me punped up
aerial
Cow Ninja
1282 | 236
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Great Mind Badge
A Median XL guru... a true book of knowledge
Updated for 2.0.
Build is really generic, so if you want something more interesting look elsewhere.
What changed compared to old iterations is basically gain of better clear ability, double hitting 70%+140% pure phys novas from earthquake provide great clear and massive leech.
Sor with 2s cd, reworked numbers and hit count, deals good single target damage on budget, can be pushed into endgame with lots of strength bonus damage from its passive.
Speed is still there, wolf stance takes care of that. New heart of stone passive, locks whirlwind (a nerf to flexibility), disabled elemental damage (not a problem), but gives us lots of attack rating and big bonus crushing blow, which enhances clear further. We no longer need to focus so heavily on getting AR, we still need to pay attention but it gets easier.
Character needs to figure out how to get enough physical resistance, trade some damage in order to get it if we need it.
Otherwise survival partially suffered, if you go full strength, but at same time build like this gained survival via melee mastery (global 20% less damage). With all sources of %life nerfed, it doesn't incentivize to focus on chasing vitality as much as before. Big leech is hughe defensive layer during clear.
Overall this is very simple and capable build, going strong right from level 2, because good clear skill is unlocked.
Single target is going to be better against mid to higher ubers, like hell baal, kabraxis etc, than previous version that some of these bosses took forever. VS very endgame stuff, mainly lab teleporting minibosses, this isn't as good anymore, teleport when struck is terrible against SOR.
youtube.com/ae1337
Lucifer127
Destroyer
7 | 0
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
How should the Stats be like?
more like 50% strength/50%Vit or 20% Str/80% vit