Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
tempmail wrote:Do you know what exactly the difference was between skill ias and item ias? I know that skill ias was more powerful but I never knew by how much and why.

Skill IAS had the same weight as Effective IAS, which is an equation that's based on your total IAS.

Effective IAS is calculated with this equation, rounded down.
(120*tIAS)/(120+tIAS)

where tIAS is your Weapon + Gear IAS combined.

Your speed modifier is pretty much what dictates what frames you'll end up having and it's found using this
sIAS + eIAS - WSM = speed modifier

where sIAS is Skill IAS (nonexistent so always 0)
eIAS is your Effective IAS (found previously)
and WSM is your weapon speed modifier (-10 for broad/long sword)
The result is always capped at 75

So a long sword needs a speed modifier of 69 to reach 5 frames, which requires 117% tIAS. It goes something like this.

(120*117)/(120+117) = 59.24 rounded to 59

Then

sIAS 0 + eIAS 59 - WSM -10 = 69

Skill IAS ignored the Effective IAS equation, which made it a lot stronger than IAS obtained from your equipped items.
tempmail
Cog
204 | 3
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
rumblealex wrote:
tempmail wrote:Do you know what exactly the difference was between skill ias and item ias? I know that skill ias was more powerful but I never knew by how much and why.

Skill IAS had the same weight as Effective IAS, which is an equation that's based on your total IAS.

Effective IAS is calculated with this equation, rounded down.
(120*tIAS)/(120+tIAS)

where tIAS is your Weapon + Gear IAS combined.

Your speed modifier is pretty much what dictates what frames you'll end up having and it's found using this
sIAS + eIAS - WSM = speed modifier

where sIAS is Skill IAS (nonexistent so always 0)
eIAS is your Effective IAS (found previously)
and WSM is your weapon speed modifier (-10 for broad/long sword)
The result is always capped at 75

So a long sword needs a speed modifier of 69 to reach 5 frames, which requires 117% tIAS. It goes something like this.

(120*117)/(120+117) = 59.24 rounded to 59

Then

sIAS 0 + eIAS 59 - WSM -10 = 69

Skill IAS ignored the Effective IAS equation, which made it a lot stronger than IAS obtained from your equipped items.

Oh wow I never knew that, thank you very much for the detailed answer!
riddyl
Stygian Watcher
42 | 1
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Played the build up to 120 and for the most part have really enjoyed it (105-115 was a bit grindy though). Guide is solid.

I've made SharkXis in a long sword, so the kill speed is pretty good right now, but am struggling a bit on survivability. Can anyone post up what sort of defense/life I should have at Level 120. Currently I've got about 8300 Life and 161k def, and I'm capped on FHR and 77%res all and 44PhyRES. I'm finding I die in Teganze and Duncraig a bit too often to farm them comfortably.
Tkorpi
Djinn
520 | 39
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Legendary Supporter Badge
Donated 25 times
Common Guide Badge
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
riddyl wrote:Played the build up to 120 and for the most part have really enjoyed it (105-115 was a bit grindy though). Guide is solid.

I've made SharkXis in a long sword, so the kill speed is pretty good right now, but am struggling a bit on survivability. Can anyone post up what sort of defense/life I should have at Level 120. Currently I've got about 8300 Life and 161k def, and I'm capped on FHR and 77%res all and 44PhyRES. I'm finding I die in Teganze and Duncraig a bit too often to farm them comfortably.

You should rly get more charms before attempting farm those places. Few more levels also would not be bad idea. 77 res is very low. Defense is also pretty low compared that you use shield combination
rumblealex
Lava Lord
96 | 90
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
I'll try and take some time to thoroughly update the guide, some pretty important stuff changed in the last patch.
RaizOscura
Skeleton
2 | 0
rumblealex wrote:I'll try and take some time to thoroughly update the guide, some pretty important stuff changed in the last patch.

new player here and following this guide, should i wait for your update?
rumblealex
Lava Lord
96 | 90
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
A few pieces of gear gets changed, but for the most part, skill investment and stats investment stays exactly the same.
RaizOscura
Skeleton
2 | 0
rumblealex wrote:A few pieces of gear gets changed, but for the most part, skill investment and stats investment stays exactly the same.

are those pieces of gear from early game?
Beren1313
Dark Huntress
11 | 0
I used the set + lightforge till 130 or so. Then I switched to Shark and others SU.

For some reason I had lots of deaths using Shark setup at 120. But with the set setup, 0 deaths and very fast runs. Also use the oskill that the set gives.
riddyl
Stygian Watcher
42 | 1
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Would welcome some feedback to my gear @ Lvl 125: https://tsw.vn.cz/acc/char.php?name=Hodges

Still dying more than I'd like, but its ok. Should I be using a barb merc for the Stun/procs or stick with the A3 Bloodmage?