Overkill Throw Barb

Find a handful of guides and walkthroughs here!
Yazzy9
Imp
5 | 0
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Nice guide helped me understand throw barb better, im 124 now using Wolf Stance over lion also gladiators dominance over runemaster, 2k dex and i have 65%block and a shit ton of deadly strike, walking through dunc with my eyes closed now, I think fauz will be fine also with my high block and 25 physical resist. Cool guide Runemaster and lion is the way to go before you get really nice sacreds. Gladiators dominance seems badass tho, runemaster better with crap gear though. Good guide.
thysick
Bone Archer
79 | 0
Yazzy9 wrote:Nice guide helped me understand throw barb better, im 124 now using Wolf Stance over lion also gladiators dominance over runemaster, 2k dex and i have 65%block and a shit ton of deadly strike, walking through dunc with my eyes closed now, I think fauz will be fine also with my high block and 25 physical resist. Cool guide Runemaster and lion is the way to go before you get really nice sacreds. Gladiators dominance seems badass tho, runemaster better with crap gear though. Good guide.


Nice. Havent play this one yet... might give it a go and see how it flow.
dannybees
Thunder Beetle
59 | 0
Just started a throwbarb build. Currently sitting at 73 and having fun with it. I've got most of the T4 items and some decent rare rings atm. There's still some questions I have as far as socketing mid-level. What's the verdict here? Enough pgems to max resist then Ko in armors? Jahs in axe? Also, I looked thru a hell of a lot of barbs on the ladder last night and didn't see one throw build. If any of you are in end game on this build, could you link your spell tree, or better yet.... Not armory link? Thanks!
Jakob
Destroyer
7 | 0
Im currently lvl 119, in single player. I dont have Bear Grin, but im sure its nice.

In my experience, this build is not for new players. Its actually quite difficult to build into a viable character.

(yes of course if you have all the GG OP top items im sure its different, but every build is strong with those)

So a couple things you need to keep in mind:

1, mana problem. Your overkill costs ~200 mana / throw. Thats really high. I needed perf. sapphires AND mana regen MO AND mana steal to actually make is work. you need to invest heavy into all kinds of manaregen

2, you need tanks. i manage to farm tran athulua without dying and clearing quite fast, because i crafted a throwing axe, gloves ( both with reanimates), and if i find the right boots im gona craft that too. For armor i use Screen of Viz-Jaq'Taar. I know it doesnt seems like a good armor, but it has high defense and have sh*ttons of reanimates which i need for tanks.
Defense alone is nothing. I have 250k and i die like a fly without reanimates.

3, dmg against bosses is terrible. i cant even kill Akarat with this build. Legacy of blood is impossible. But farming is quite nice. Maybe if i find a few more sacred uniqs im gona be able to kill bosses more easily...

So thats just my two cents.
Istaryu
Monkey King
274 | -5
Jakob wrote:Im currently lvl 119, in single player. I dont have Bear Grin, but im sure its nice.

In my experience, this build is not for new players. Its actually quite difficult to build into a viable character.

(yes of course if you have all the GG OP top items im sure its different, but every build is strong with those)

So a couple things you need to keep in mind:

1, mana problem. Your overkill costs ~200 mana / throw. Thats really high. I needed perf. sapphires AND mana regen MO AND mana steal to actually make is work. you need to invest heavy into all kinds of manaregen

2, you need tanks. i manage to farm tran athulua without dying and clearing quite fast, because i crafted a throwing axe, gloves ( both with reanimates), and if i find the right boots im gona craft that too. For armor i use Screen of Viz-Jaq'Taar. I know it doesnt seems like a good armor, but it has high defense and have sh*ttons of reanimates which i need for tanks.
Defense alone is nothing. I have 250k and i die like a fly without reanimates.

3, dmg against bosses is terrible. i cant even kill Akarat with this build. Legacy of blood is impossible. But farming is quite nice. Maybe if i find a few more sacred uniqs im gona be able to kill bosses more easily...

So thats just my two cents.


Of course your dmg is gonna be terrible if you use items that give you no dmg.
Jakob
Destroyer
7 | 0
Istaryu wrote:

Of course your dmg is gonna be terrible if you use items that give you no dmg.


My weapon's max dmg is 430 and have very fast attack speed so, i wouldnt say it has low dmg. It has higher dmg than non eth Griefbringer. (i dont have the eth version)
Istaryu
Monkey King
274 | -5
Jakob wrote:
Istaryu wrote:

Of course your dmg is gonna be terrible if you use items that give you no dmg.


My weapon's max dmg is 430 and have very fast attack speed so, i wouldnt say it has low dmg. It has higher dmg than non eth Griefbringer. (i dont have the eth version)


Image

Weapon dmg is not the only thing that matters. You are using reanimate items, so you lose out on the tons of str and other stats you can get from items to boost your dmg further.
User avatar
Crash
Diablo
7620 | 256
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Showcase Badge
Median XL Broadcaster
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Jakob wrote:Im currently lvl 119, in single player. I dont have Bear Grin, but im sure its nice.

In my experience, this build is not for new players. Its actually quite difficult to build into a viable character.

(yes of course if you have all the GG OP top items im sure its different, but every build is strong with those)

So a couple things you need to keep in mind:

1, mana problem. Your overkill costs ~200 mana / throw. Thats really high. I needed perf. sapphires AND mana regen MO AND mana steal to actually make is work. you need to invest heavy into all kinds of manaregen

2, you need tanks. i manage to farm tran athulua without dying and clearing quite fast, because i crafted a throwing axe, gloves ( both with reanimates), and if i find the right boots im gona craft that too. For armor i use Screen of Viz-Jaq'Taar. I know it doesnt seems like a good armor, but it has high defense and have sh*ttons of reanimates which i need for tanks.
Defense alone is nothing. I have 250k and i die like a fly without reanimates.

3, dmg against bosses is terrible. i cant even kill Akarat with this build. Legacy of blood is impossible. But farming is quite nice. Maybe if i find a few more sacred uniqs im gona be able to kill bosses more easily...

So thats just my two cents.


I think overall the best way to play this build now is Wolf Stance with the damage buff it gained for EWD per soft point. You can comfortably get like 130% all speeds, 70 something movement speed (maybe more, I can't remember), and 700+ EWD and you don't get the physical resist penalty. Lion Stance overall should produce more damage with full strength, but Wolf Stance is more comfortable and ideal (from my experience, plus I'm a Wolf Stance/Companion bias)

Balanced Axes use strength as bonus damage, so you'll want to stack strength all over. Aim for 2-3k strength around your current level and area. You also might consider dropping some points in Screaming Eagle for the debuff on bosses for their movement to make sure they stay in the overkill throws.

Pro tip too: if you haven't found out, I've always seen that using shift to throw the axes right infront of them (especialy if moving, but also for stationary target) seems to get a much more accurate hit spread. Try that out if you're not already.
Jakob
Destroyer
7 | 0
Crash wrote:
I think overall the best way to play this build now is Wolf Stance with the damage buff it gained for EWD per soft point. You can comfortably get like 130% all speeds, 70 something movement speed (maybe more, I can't remember), and 700+ EWD and you don't get the physical resist penalty. Lion Stance overall should produce more damage with full strength, but Wolf Stance is more comfortable and ideal (from my experience, plus I'm a Wolf Stance/Companion bias)

Balanced Axes use strength as bonus damage, so you'll want to stack strength all over. Aim for 2-3k strength around your current level and area. You also might consider dropping some points in Screaming Eagle for the debuff on bosses for their movement to make sure they stay in the overkill throws.

Pro tip too: if you haven't found out, I've always seen that using shift to throw the axes right infront of them (especialy if moving, but also for stationary target) seems to get a much more accurate hit spread. Try that out if you're not already.


That was actually helpful. Thanks. Im using wolf stance since nightmare because i kept dying with lion. Im gona try gather the str.
Yeah i know the "shift-trick" :)
BadGrahmmer
Jungle Hunter
27 | 0
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
So I haven't seen anyone else comment about this, so maybe I'm just doing something wrong. But at level 100, with most all late game gear possible equipped I can cast about 4 Overkills before I just straight up run out of mana at which point I either die from being overrun by mobs, or have to run away and kite for 10 seconds or so before I can kill more things. Its just a painful and incredibly unfun way to play the game.