Median XL Offline Tools v0.6.4

Find a handful of guides and walkthroughs here!
TrebicsVagyok
Imp
5 | 0
Hey guys!

I really like this little tool, and I love Median, and since I have no C++ experience at all, I thought I would learn through this little desktop app.

My question:

Could you please tell me what QT version and C++ compiler should I use to run to build for the current, latest version?
On github I see only these instructions:

"It can be built basically for any platform. You will need:

C++ compiler
Qt 4 or 5

To build from GUI:

any OS: open MedianXLOfflineTools.pro in Qt Creator
Windows only: open MedianXLOfflineTools.sln in Microsoft Visual Studio 2019, you will also need to install Qt VS Tools extension"

QT 5 is breaking the build since "QDesktopServices::storageLocation(QDesktopServices::HomeLocation)" is a QT4 feature, and therefore I get errors on build.

I use QT Creator Community for IDE and Visual Studio with the QT extension, but none of these working at the moment.

I tried with msvc2015_64 (QT5) with C++ Compiler 17.2
Also I tried with QT 4.8 but It is not working with the C++ compiler above.

I'm trying to solve this, but after 2 days I'm close to giving up.

Would you please tell me what is the best ide, C++ compiler version and Qt version to build this app? Maybe I missing some dependencies? Thanks you <3 :beg:
kambala
Djinn
509 | 87
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Great Contribution Badge
Is an active collaborator / developer
TrebicsVagyok wrote:...

thanks for noticing the build error! Just pushed the fix.

Qt 4 doesn't have prebuilt binaries for modern Visual Studio, unfortunately. This means you should either install Visual Studio 2010 to use prebuilt Qt binaries or build from source.

But better just keep using Qt 5, the latest version 5.15.2 is available for Visual Studio 2019 (or use any earlier 5.x, up to you). Now it should build.
TrebicsVagyok
Imp
5 | 0
kambala wrote:

thanks for noticing the build error! Just pushed the fix.

Qt 4 doesn't have prebuilt binaries for modern Visual Studio, unfortunately. This means you should either install Visual Studio 2010 to use prebuilt Qt binaries or build from source.

But better just keep using Qt 5, the latest version 5.15.2 is available for Visual Studio 2019 (or use any earlier 5.x, up to you). Now it should build.

Thank you very much for your help!

So if I understand correctly, the simplest solution then:

- using QT creator IDE - 8.0.0
- with QT 5.15

The build is almost green, I have only one single error: no moc files are generated from the header files. I see that the repo doesn't contain files with 'moc_' prefix, so I have made some files generated somehow, I don't really know how. I've created .moc files manually from the 'moc_' prefixed files, and resolved 2-3 error messages that way. However, I'm missing one single moc file still

error: C1083: Cannot open include file: 'messagecheckbox_p.moc': No such file or directory

(there is no 'moc_' prefixed file for this header, so I cannot create it manually)

Please can you upload the messagecheckbox_p.moc file somewhere? Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I'm using QT 5.15 with Creator 8.0 I tried to look it up, but found very old posts, and it's supposed to be a QT bug :/
kambala
Djinn
509 | 87
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Great Contribution Badge
TrebicsVagyok wrote:Thank you very much for your help!

- with QT 5.15

The build is almost green, I have only one single error: no moc files are generated from the header files. I see that the repo doesn't contain files with 'moc_' prefix, so I have made some files generated somehow, I don't really know how. I've created .moc files manually from the 'moc_' prefixed files, and resolved 2-3 error messages that way. However, I'm missing one single moc file still

error: C1083: Cannot open include file: 'messagecheckbox_p.moc': No such file or directory

(there is no 'moc_' prefixed file for this header, so I cannot create it manually)

Please can you upload the messagecheckbox_p.moc file somewhere? Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I'm using QT 5.15 with Creator 8.0 I tried to look it up, but found very old posts, and it's supposed to be a QT bug :/

moc files are created at build time. just built on macOS against Qt 5.15.2 in Qt Creator - the file is created, not sure what's going on on your side...

I suggest to try building in Visual Studio.
TrebicsVagyok
Imp
5 | 0
kambala wrote:
TrebicsVagyok wrote:Thank you very much for your help!

- with QT 5.15

moc files are created at build time. just built on macOS against Qt 5.15.2 in Qt Creator - the file is created, not sure what's going on on your side...

I suggest to try building in Visual Studio.

I tried the easier way with QT creator, because I didn't want to suck with legacy Visual Studio 2019, and specify everything manually... Since it is a legacy project, there are a lot of dependencies to need to match to success :/ And as I see, the IDE is a dependency too. Now I try to get VS 2019, because I'm using 2022 now
kambala
Djinn
509 | 87
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Great Contribution Badge
TrebicsVagyok wrote:I tried the easier way with QT creator, because I didn't want to suck with legacy Visual Studio 2019, and specify everything manually... Since it is a legacy project, there are a lot of dependencies to need to match to success :/ And as I see, the IDE is a dependency too. Now I try to get VS 2019, because I'm using 2022 now

if I'm not mistaken, prebuilt Qt 5 exists only for 2019.

FYI I still use 2019 and build releases with it.

you don't need to install whole Visual Studio 2019 application, just add respective toolset.
TrebicsVagyok
Imp
5 | 0
kambala wrote:
TrebicsVagyok wrote:I tried the easier way with QT creator, because I didn't want to suck with legacy Visual Studio 2019, and specify everything manually... Since it is a legacy project, there are a lot of dependencies to need to match to success :/ And as I see, the IDE is a dependency too. Now I try to get VS 2019, because I'm using 2022 now

if I'm not mistaken, prebuilt Qt 5 exists only for 2019.

FYI I still use 2019 and build releases with it.

you don't need to install whole Visual Studio 2019 application, just add respective toolset.

Thank you for the answer, but actually, I have tried almost everything and still I can't build the project.

I have installed Visual Studio 2019 with all existing C++ compiler versions. I get this error from Visual Studio, which is obviously false, because your build is green in your env

Also, I downloaded an earlier version of QT extension for VS 2019 manually, because the latest one unfortunately doesn't run on the earlier VS 2019.

The QT Creator runs through the build, I actually only get warnings, but there is an error at the end, but I can't find out more details than that:

Actually, I have no idea which combination of the many visual studio versions, c++ compiler versions, qt versions to use to conjure up your development environment to run the build successfully :/

Can you please describe the EXACT names and versions of the C++ compiler versions, of your Visual Studio / QT builder version, and the QT framework package version? If they match, they should all work for me too, I think. I don't have any more ideas, I think only the right combination of these will work unfortunately.

I use / have these dependencies for the build:

I know I sound obscure, I'm sorry, but I really want to do this, but I just don't have any more ideas of what I can do or what I can try. If we figure this out, I'll be happy to expand the readme on github with this information, if you'd like to accept it.

cheers
kambala
Djinn
509 | 87
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Great Contribution Badge

ok, checked the MSVC project on Windows: turned out it was broken, just fixed it. But it works only with Qt 4, not going to change that for the time being.

however, in Qt Creator I can build against Qt 5 32-bit just fine. I use MSVC++ compiler 16.11.31729.503, but yours 16.4 should also work I believe. just make sure that your Kit is configured correctly (auto-detected ones are usually correct out of the box).

you can also try building with MinGW.
TrebicsVagyok
Imp
5 | 0
kambala wrote:

ok, checked the MSVC project on Windows: turned out it was broken, just fixed it. But it works only with Qt 4, not going to change that for the time being.

however, in Qt Creator I can build against Qt 5 32-bit just fine. I use MSVC++ compiler 16.11.31729.503, but yours 16.4 should also work I believe. just make sure that your Kit is configured correctly (auto-detected ones are usually correct out of the box).

you can also try building with MinGW.

Thank you very much for your help, everything is green, and the build has been succeeded :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I used MV C++ Compiler 16.4.29613.14 (amd64) with QT 5.15.2 in Windows 10, and everything is working now! :yay:

Thank you again! This app is just awesome.
kambala
Djinn
509 | 87
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Great Contribution Badge
TrebicsVagyok wrote:Thank you very much for your help, everything is green, and the build has been succeeded :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I used MV C++ Compiler 16.4.29613.14 (amd64) with QT 5.15.2 in Windows 10, and everything is working now! :yay:

Thank you again! This app is just awesome.

glad that it worked!

btw I remembered one more option for visual studio: in the Qt extension there's an option to "import .pro file" - you can also try that, it'll generate MSVC project out of the Creator's .pro file.