Totem Hybrid Necromancer

Find a handful of guides and walkthroughs here!
L H
Izual
6040 | 199
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Showcase Badge
Median XL Broadcaster
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
Common Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
Grasshopper wrote:Update. I could not get 90% but I tried with resist 88, 86, 86, 88 and damage reduction at 151. Also absorb charm. It is almost impossible for this character. It would take years and more gold than I can store to buy portals and health potions.
It is very annoying because this charm is very good for this build so making the monster destroy minions instantly like this is not very good game design in my opinion.

This build is one of the best for judgment day. It's a bit different in current patch than what the guide has right now, but you only need the base
Crystalline Flame Medallion
Crystalline Flame Medallion
Keep in Inventory to Gain Bonus
Required Level: 120
+1 to Summon Edyrem
Cold Absorb 10%
Lightning Absorb 10%
Fire Absorb 10%

for the absorb. Don't need to upgrade it yet if you don't want.

Edit: maybe I was confused. This build is good for Judgment Day, but just needs a tweak for Quov Tsin. You'll just get the appropriate stats and then just nuke him slowly (or quickly if you have good pierce) with Funeral Pyre. Avoid the bone spears too.
Grasshopper
Lava Lord
94 | 2
Ah no problem, it is not always easy reading what people write on here :)

I found Quov Tsin very difficult to how it was before the patch, I tried to see the new layout as being the same - although there are no walls, he still cannot shoot over the angles so there may as well be walls. So it is similar in a sense.

But his behaviour seems different. He blinks frequently to a 'joining place' very often. Where two corridors intersect. And that means he is shooting at you for a very long time before you can get in range whatever direction you come at him.

Also he sometimes teleports to the area where you come in, where there is no hiding place. Just have to make a new game when that happens because he will kill me so many times before I can make him blink to another place.
aguni
Stygian Watcher
44 | 4
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
I'm trying this guy out in the latest patch and having a good time. A couple items I haven't seen mentioned that I'm using:

Wizard's Path
Wizard's Path
Boots (Sacred)

Defense: (651 to 671)
Required Strength: 458
Required Level: 100
+1 to All Skills
30% Faster Run/Walk
25% Faster Cast Rate
+(8 to 10)% to Spell Damage
+(6 to 10) to Elemental Totem
+(41 to 50) to Energy
Increase Maximum Mana 10%
Socketed (4)

Talon of Trang-Oul
Talon of Trang-Oul
Bone Wand (Sacred)

One-Hand Damage: 37 to 40
Required Dexterity: 170
Required Level: 100
(Necromancer Only)
Current Dexterity Damage Bonus: (25/256 per Dexterity)%
+(2 to 4) to Necromancer Skill Levels
+50% Damage to Undead
+(101 to 150)% Bonus to Summoned Minion Attack Rating
+(7 to 18) to Acid Fiends
+(23 to 27) to Ice Beam
+(31 to 40)% Bonus to Summoned Minion Damage
10% Chance to Avoid Damage
Cold Resist +(41 to 50)%
Poison Resist +(41 to 50)%
5% Reanimate as: Soul Warrior
5% Reanimate as: Blood Warrior
Socketed (2)

The acid fiends from Talon give an aura with ~50% spell damage, and while they won't stick around long with your Creep staff out since they're from the O-skill, I've found they will give me the aura at least long enough to apply it to my summoned totems. With Tainted Blood being just OK now I've got this as my main prebuff weapon. I think it could also be a decent option paired with Sentinel's Sorrow because totems will get the double benefit from the aura while the fiends are around, and more meatshields is always nice.

The boots have some nice caster stats and the Elemental Totem they summon is giving 170% elemental spell damage to me and my totems and merc while out. This is with a +8 roll, without full gear/charms so more +skills yet to go. This means another double totem benefit, getting that spell damage on summon and apparently the spell damage again from the aura. They do count as a totem against the max limit, so I will probably wait until I get triune charm to have one around full time. Good option to consider on the expensive end (SSSU).
L H
Izual
6040 | 199
Great Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Showcase Badge
Median XL Broadcaster
Great Guide Badge
Common Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
sticking with a crafted marrow staff is far more beneficial prior to creep staff.

the boots are inaccurate. The actual spell damage is roughly half of what the skill icon says according to d2stats. skill icon is not accurate with the nerf to the skill in a recent patch
aguni
Stygian Watcher
44 | 4
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Yeah crafts are certainly better for main weps before creep. Still, fiend aura adds 46% spell damage making it a viable endgame prebuff option.

I still love Wizard's Path. 90% spell damage applying to merc, pyre and twice to totems? Fearsome stuff.
L H
Izual
6040 | 199
Great Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Showcase Badge
Median XL Broadcaster
Great Guide Badge
Common Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
I just never found it necessary. That's just my opinion. Plus, don't acid fiends die nearly instantly upon using a skill after switching back to main weapon set after summoning them? That's been another issue I've had with that in the past.
aguni
Stygian Watcher
44 | 4
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
For me it's been burning veil in particular that kills them off. Otherwise they stick around for a little while. Still, I think firequeen beats them out by giving your merc the extra bloodlust dmg and applying it twice on totems.