Totem Hybrid Necromancer

Find a handful of guides and walkthroughs here!
User avatar
L H
Griswold
4395 | 150
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Showcase Badge
Median XL Broadcaster
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
Shade wrote:Weapon: Seid: +4 Bloodlust = more spell damage. Make in Tier 1 Necro Dagger for low requirements

Wondering why low reqs needed - are there any MOs that would be useful here? I mean, it will be level 78 anyway due to Kur.


Point being there's no reason to get a sacred tier to drive up the dexterity requirements to the point that you have to actively invest in dexterity. There aren't any jewels that provide buff duration, and it's only an on switch buff weapon.
Shade
Pit Knight
113 | 1
L H wrote:Point being there's no reason to get a sacred tier to drive up the dexterity requirements to the point that you have to actively invest in dexterity. There aren't any jewels that provide buff duration, and it's only an on switch buff weapon.
Ah ok - any non-sacred T1-6 then (as long as it's not higher reqt than your current level!).
I thought that might be it, but I went and shopped a T1 in Hatred Act 1 anyway, just in case there was something to do. Thanks :)

I've been getting along fine without buffing while farming lots of gear for other characters (never finds anything for himself ofc, Sod's law in action) but the Belial fight was too tough so I thought I'd better start improving this char. He's still in QoG, T6 honorifics and the TU6 marrow staff - mostly he has few problems except with the very few enemies that can pierce past his army. But it seems hard to improve his gear...

Sorry for nooby question but I'm finding it very difficult to get crafts that are better than T6 honorifics. One problem is I'm not sure what blessing will add to an item (and using arcane crystals, it's expensive to experiment) so I can't tell when the first-stage shrine craft is good enough to bless. Example is the one sacred marrow staff I've ever found. So far the best roll is:

    +9 Necro skills
    50% IAS
    55% Fire Spell damage
    -5% enemy fire resistances
    +60% bonus to summoned minion life

    Regd Level 90 and Str 272

Is this worth blessing (will/can blessing add even more skills?) or do I keep rolling it until I get 10-13? I keep running out of shrines :(

Also it's hard to get +1 Totems never mind getting that when it also has 10-13 skills and all the rest. So I'm wondering... Is the list in the guide a "you must re-roll until you get all of these" kind of list or "you should get some of these"?
User avatar
L H
Griswold
4395 | 150
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Showcase Badge
Median XL Broadcaster
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
You should be starting to get a feel for what to prioritize if you're already gathering charms.

For the staff, the extra totem is optional. Just a handy affix to obtain if it happens to roll.

I don't have the docs in front of me, but if you go to the MXL Discord channel, and go into the Deckard-Cain sub channel, type:

!affix

The bit will return a command with a link to the updated affix search page. Scroll down and use the search box options to find Necromancer Staff (however it's listed), you can see the highest rolls on fire pierce, minion life, fire spell damage, and +skills. Just keep in mind, when crafting, you can get up to those numbers + the added shrine bonus + shrine blessing.

Try to use that chart to gauge whether or not your craft is worth blessing or if you should reroll.

Same applies for the rest of the magical crafts on other gear slots. Use that chart to determine what can roll. Crickets can spawn up to 40% minion life on their own without the shrine, gloves can get fire pierce and spell damage on their own, boots can get +2 necro skills, etc.
Shade
Pit Knight
113 | 1
L H wrote:You should be starting to get a feel for what to prioritize if you're already gathering charms.

Good to know that it's about priorities. I was trying to roll the perfect item with all of those attributes. That's probably why i found it hard to produce an upgrade on T6 stuff (I've only ever found 1 sacred marrow staff so I'm worried about re-rolling anything that might be ok).


I've got about 14 charms, since the build is powerful even in T6 gear, but it's struggling with a few of the ubers on the mid-game list so I thought it was time to try to work out why I was a bit stuck. Thanks for clarifying.
User avatar
PhucHung
Gravedigger
191 | 15
Why you don't use
The Towerlord
The Towerlord
Necromancer Totemic Set

Tower Rush
Tower Defense
Tower Wall
Tower Denial
Tower Push

Set Bonus with 2 or more set items:
+50 to Strength
Set Bonus with 3 or more set items:
+50 to Dexterity
Set Bonus with 4 or more set items:
+50% to Spell Damage
+37 to Totembound Guardian

Set Bonus with complete set:
+2 Extra Totems
+33 to Devil's Fang Totem
+33 to Exploding Totem
+33 to Fear Bomb Totem
+100% Bonus to Summoned Minion Life
+1000 to Life
+10% to All Maximum Resistances

? I think it's great
User avatar
L H
Griswold
4395 | 150
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Showcase Badge
Median XL Broadcaster
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
That set is beyond terrible in comparison to either of the end game or midgame setups.
opsayo
Dark Huntress
13 | 0
I'm currently in the middle of terror and I just wanted to say that this guide has been amazing. Its helped me be aware of all the important things that I've needed to know and learn the ins and outs of the mod. It's super thorough and well written. Thank you for writing this and also keeping it maintained!

I have a question - in the mid game section you say to use a circlet for the magical shrine craft - is there a reason circlet is mentioned over say, a cap?
User avatar
PhucHung
Gravedigger
191 | 15
opsayo wrote:I'm currently in the middle of terror and I just wanted to say that this guide has been amazing. Its helped me be aware of all the important things that I've needed to know and learn the ins and outs of the mod. It's super thorough and well written. Thank you for writing this and also keeping it maintained!

I have a question - in the mid game section you say to use a circlet for the magical shrine craft - is there a reason circlet is mentioned over say, a cap?

Because with circlet, crafting can have some good affixes than other helm. Check it in here (this is old version, the stats may not be accurate): https://docs.median-xl.com/MXLU_vXVI_Do ... uffix.html
User avatar
L H
Griswold
4395 | 150
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Showcase Badge
Median XL Broadcaster
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
opsayo wrote:I'm currently in the middle of terror and I just wanted to say that this guide has been amazing. Its helped me be aware of all the important things that I've needed to know and learn the ins and outs of the mod. It's super thorough and well written. Thank you for writing this and also keeping it maintained!

I have a question - in the mid game section you say to use a circlet for the magical shrine craft - is there a reason circlet is mentioned over say, a cap?


FIrst off, glad you're enjoying it. I tried to incorporate things where I could to help explain monster skills and things to watch out for in the case of new players.

Secondly, the reason we choose a circlet type item (Circlet, Coronet, TIara, Diadem) is because they can spawn affixes on the item which are much more useful for the setup in comparison to a plain old cap.

On this updated affix search page: https://docs.median-xl.com/doc/wiki/affixes.php

You can scroll down below and type in "Circlet" in the Found On box and it will filter out all stats that cannot roll on circlets, leaving you with an easier search. Every stat here is listed in order from weakest to strongest of that affix, meaning "+1 All Skills" is listed above +2 and +3, etc.

With that in mind, you'll want to find affixes that are beneficial to your character. In this case, Circlets are extremely beneficial because they can roll up to +3 All Skills, 40% Minion Life, and -%Enemy Fire Resist and %Fire Spell Damage (These last two aren't updated in the page yet, but they do spawn naturally on circlets). That's exactly what you'll be looking for in the rest of the gear, and it all comes from one piece, not even counting the bonuses that the shrine will give you when you craft it. From there, you can add on another 40% Minion Life and 20% Minion Resist (highest possible from Magical Shrine for circlets), giving you up to 80% Minion Life, and 20% Minion Resist. Once you make the craft, you can go ahead and Shrine Bless, which basically stacks on another effect of the shrine bonus onto the current craft, leaving you with a maximum possible roll of:
+3 All Skills, xx% Fire Spell Damage, -xx% Enemy Fire Resist, 120% Minion Life, and 40% Minion Resist, before you even add jewels or Mystic Orbs to the item.

Regular Caps can't spawn any of those affixes, so while using a cap to craft can be nice since you don't have to spend the extra points to also invest in Dexterity to equip a circlet, you'll be missing out on a ton of beneficial stats from the circlet craft. That's why you should try to craft on a circlet instead of a cap for this build.

Hopefully this info also clears up confusion for your other crafts (see boots, belt, and gloves) and help you determine which affixes can spawn naturally on the item (use that link above for the search functions and narrow down your options) and which item type you should use over another.
opsayo
Dark Huntress
13 | 0
Ah, that makes total sense. Thanks again! Having a blast so far!