Caster Druid

Find a handful of guides and walkthroughs here!
Captcha
Mangler
486 | 26
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Jampula wrote:
Johnny Impak wrote:3% reanimate is rather low. FHR is way more useful early on since you can save on MO space and put, in my case, more pierce into T4 gear.

Yeah at first I thought Feed the Pack base lvl rises it but when I realised synergy was Wolf Form I quickly switched to Circle of Life. FtP starts with a bit more LaeK but they even out at higher lvls.

Katamari
Katamari
Jewel

Required Level: 30
Item Level: 40
Can be Inserted into Socketed Items
+5% to Summoned Minion Life
+5% to Summoned Minion Damage
+5% to Summoned Minion Resistances
+5 Life after each Kill
Is pretty perfect for poison build if you happen to find/trade some.

But Feed the Pack doesn't seem to require Wolf form? The skill description says that CoL requires bear form but FtP doesn't say that it requires Wolf form. So I chose FtP and it seems to work fine without changing form.

I'm wondering if the poison spec may be the best for end game with the buffs? Especially with a few of the new relics socketed.
Jampula
Amazon Warrior
1677 | 91
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Captcha wrote:But Feed the Pack doesn't seem to require Wolf form? The skill description says that CoL requires bear form but FtP doesn't say that it requires Wolf form. So I chose FtP and it seems to work fine without changing form.

I'm wondering if the poison spec may be the best for end game with the buffs? Especially with a few of the new relics socketed.

I meant that only base points in Wolf Form increase FtP's reanimate change, otherwise it stays at 3%. CoL description is wrong, it works without Bear Form. So in the end it is a matter of do you want 3% reanimate or 100%+ FHR, I'll take FHR any day.

I doubt poison can compete against other elements, after all it is only 50% poison spell dmg boost (because they removed the initial 25% dmg boost).
Ikafati
Vampiress
35 | 0
So I finally switched to the Stormclash setup, running the core pieces and some decent crafted stuff. The build feels great, damage is very nice, currently working on more expensive SSUs. However, I immediately ran into 2 problems - 1. Defense is still lacking. While I die rarely, I still feel like it would be nice to pump higher numbers. 2. Mana regeneration. I can cast Stormclash only for a few seconds before my mana gets depleted, even with mana pots running. Is this solved by harder uber charms which I don't have yet? Cause having 174fcr and 6fpa is nice and all, but I don't feel like the investment is worth it, since I can't utilize this huge cast speed very efficiently anyway
mortimer_85
Djinn
520 | 230
Common Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Ikafati wrote:So I finally switched to the Stormclash setup, running the core pieces and some decent crafted stuff. The build feels great, damage is very nice, currently working on more expensive SSUs. However, I immediately ran into 2 problems - 1. Defense is still lacking. While I die rarely, I still feel like it would be nice to pump higher numbers. 2. Mana regeneration. I can cast the spell only for a few seconds before my mana gets depleted, even with mana pots running. Is this solved by harder uber charms which I don't have yet? Cause having 174 fcr and 6fpa is nice and all, but I don't feel like the investment is worth it, since I can't utilize this huge cast speed very efficiently

More or less all of your problems will be solved when geting more charms/ diving into Endgame / getting nice SSUs like HotB:

Defense:
Lifeshield's TCD Bonus is evolving with slvl (15% per) so getting more Druid/all skill charms/gear will boost that part. To utilize this TCD Bonus well, it is important to get high overall flat defense on gear. The core Items
Forest Defender
Forest Defender
Antlers (Sacred)

Defense: (2277 - 2562) to (2474 - 2783)
(Druid Only)
Required Level: 100
Required Strength: 500
Item Level: 105
Spiritual Alignment Adds 5% Lightning Spell Damage per Base Level
Spiritual Alignment No Longer Adds Fire/Cold Spell Damage
+2 to Druid Skill Levels
20% Cast Speed
20% Movement Speed
-(20 to 25)% to Enemy Lightning Resistance
+(15 to 20) to Stormclash
+(140 to 170)% Enhanced Defense
Maximum Lightning Resist +1%
(35 to 50)% Bonus to Defense
Socketed (4)
and
Nor Tiraj's Wisdom
Nor Tiraj's Wisdom
Heavy Belt (Sacred)

Defense: (2805 - 3315) to (3029 - 3580)
Required Strength:
687 to 937
Item Level: 105
+100 Spell Focus
-(20 to 25)% to Enemy Lightning Resistance
+(15 to 20) to Lightning Shield
+(15 to 20) to Stormclash
+(120 to 160)% Enhanced Defense
Maximum Mana +10%
(10 to 50)% Bonus to Defense
+2% to Experience Gained
Requirements +(10 to 50)%
Socketed (2)
already come with good ED values. If you run a crafted Armor atm a high ED roll is mandatory to boost your total defense. 200k Defense is possible in a standard Storm endgame setup. However the defense is not the most important defensive layer

HP:
Lifeshield provides 100 base HP per slvl. So getting more all/Druid skills will push your HP siginificantly. Jewels with 40+ HP affix are also nice. 14k+ total HP should be achievable in endgame. High HP prevents you from getting in hit recovery that often. Another stat that helps with it is:

Physical resistance:
While the core item + TA trophy only provides 10-15 % PR you have several opportunities to getting higher values here.
Hide of the Basilisk
Hide of the Basilisk
Chain Mail (Sacred)

Defense: (5807 - 6817) to (6568 - 7711)
Required Strength: 600
Item Level: 120
+(1 to 2) to All Skills
30% Cast Speed
+(25 to 38)% to Lightning Spell Damage
-35% to Enemy Lightning Resistance
+(13 to 16) to Thunderstone
+(130 to 170)% Enhanced Defense
+250 to Mana
Maximum Lightning Resist +4%
Physical Resist 15%
1% Reanimate as: Random Monster
Socketed (6)
is the BIS Body Armor for this build (if you not running Labs - then a gg rolled Nats is better). If you feel you need even more PR then you can try
Angel's Wrath
Angel's Wrath
Chain Boots (Sacred)

Defense: (1625 - 2217) to (1762 - 2403)
Required Strength: 575
+(0 to 2) to Paladin Skill Levels
+(0 to 2) to Sorceress Skill Levels
+(0 to 2) to Necromancer Skill Levels
+(0 to 2) to Druid Skill Levels
+(0 to 2) to Barbarian Skill Levels
+(0 to 2) to Amazon Skill Levels
+(0 to 2) to Assassin Skill Levels
(10 to 40)% Movement Speed
+(120 to 200)% Enhanced Defense
Maximum Life +5%
Physical Resist 10%
Socketed (4)
with +2 Druid skills. It provides no caster stats but a huge survivability boost (10% PR, 10% max HP - scales well with Lifeshield and the base HP and TCD boost).
A much more costly variant of getting PR is
Spirit Walker
Spirit Walker
Heavy Boots (Sacred)

Defense: 696 to 737
Required Strength: 550
+1% Physical Resist per 18% Mana Regeneration
+2 to All Skills
+(50 to 100) Spell Focus
(10 to 40)% Movement Speed
Jitan's Gate Cooldown Reduced by 1 seconds
+35% to Physical/Magic Spell Damage
-15% to Enemy Elemental Resistances
Socketed (4)
+
Lorekeeper
Lorekeeper
Light Gauntlets (Sacred)

Defense: (1018 - 1179) to (1159 - 1342)
Required Level: 80
Required Strength:
+3 to All Skills
20% Combat Speeds
+(5 to 10) to Firedance
+(90 to 120)% Enhanced Defense
Regenerate Mana +(40 to 60)%
Requirements -50%
Socketed (4)
+
The Moon Crystal
The Moon Crystal
Mystic Orb

Right-Click to Apply
10% Cast Speed
Regenerate Mana +15%
Lightning Resist +15%
Cold Resist +15%
+10 Required Level

Avoid: While 20% from Symbiosis Synergy with Elvensong is the standard on caster Druids you can push the Avoid to 40% + in endgame when choosing Faerie Fire Uber skill. With gg gear/jewels you can cap the Synergy without the Strength factor from FoN. Since the Avoid only scales with slvl and has high dim returns even one point into this skill can provide the additional 20%+ Avoid in endgame.

Mana issues:
25% mana regen on rings and amulet should be enough. If you have mana problems early on use mana sweep on swap from Runeword
Laadan

Laadan
Druid Staves

'VexCham'
Runeword Level: 83
+(6 to 7) to Druid Skill Levels
100% Cast Speed
Mana Sweep Cooldown Reduced by 6 seconds
+(26 to 29) to Mana Sweep
Slows Attacker by (16 to 20)%
Maximum Life +5%
+250 to Mana
Maximum Mana +(3 to 6)%
Requirements -10%
. Use -req jewels on high req gear to put more points into energy. Charms with flat or % attr will help with that, too.

A fully geared/charmed out Storm Druid can spam lvl 90+ SC with only 75% mana regen from gear.
Ikafati
Vampiress
35 | 0
Thank you for a lengthy reply. I didn't realize I have precisely 0 mana regen, so I'll invest into that for sure. Only just started 120 ubers, so I'm sure some survivability problems will solve themselves. Also, is it a good idea to put spare points into Poison Flash? After swapping from the starter poison dudu setup, my acid fiends lost a ton of HP and mo'd resists, so I was curious if at least giving some HP back to them would be worth it
mortimer_85
Djinn
520 | 230
Common Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Guide Badge
Ikafati wrote:.... Also, is it a good idea to put spare points into Poison Flash? After swapping from the starter poison dudu setup, my acid fiends lost a ton of HP and mo'd resists, so I was curious if at least giving some HP back to them would be worth it

Yeah totally worth it.
Put 20 into fiends to cap regen, some 5-15ish in the Laek Passive of your choice (I like CoL more for the FHR) and dump the rest into Poison Flash to boost Fiends HP.
Captcha
Mangler
486 | 26
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Jampula wrote:CoL description is wrong, it works without Bear Form. So in the end it is a matter of do you want 3% reanimate or 100%+ FHR, I'll take FHR any day.

I doubt poison can compete against other elements, after all it is only 50% poison spell dmg boost (because they removed the initial 25% dmg boost).

Aaaargh dammit if I'd known that :cry: :-8
Thanks for replying, otherwise I'd have carried on in blissful ignorance...

Jampula wrote:I doubt poison can compete against other elements, after all it is only 50% poison spell dmg boost (because they removed the initial 25% dmg boost).

Hmmm maybe so. But I hope poison works, the other specs need lots of specific gear which will take a long time to collect.
Semigloss
Onyx Knight
600 | 26
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Just popping in to say Fire spec does very well leveling. I was able to complete all 115 Ubers using Elemental and RoF, with Fiend support. Currently lvl 118 in pretty much all T4 gear still and damage on Elemental is avg 15k per second, and fyi the flames stack with each cast (not same cast). So I can reach about 60k DPS, and 4 elementals covers most of the screen Infront of me (about a 90degree sweep). Good stuff. Anyways, have a good day y'all.
Ikafati
Vampiress
35 | 0

So if I understand EF and SF correctly, wouldn't it be much better to put points into Strength instead of Energy damage wise?
mortimer_85
Djinn
520 | 230
Common Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Guide Badge
Ikafati wrote:Image

So if I understand EF and SF correctly, wouldn't it be much better to put points into Strength instead of Energy damage wise?

well, not entirely because the stat only part of the synergy scales off of energy and you want still ene to not run out of mana that fast.
Basically you want to find the maximum synergy (260*(ene+10)/(250+ene) + min[200, SF*str+ EF*ene])
In midgame the Synergy gain from Str due to SF is not worth it imo.

Indeed I wrote a little Octave Script to calculate optimal ene-str distribution for ene scaling spells when having decent amount of EF but that is only for minmaxing in endgame.