[Not recommended as of 2.1] Maelstrom Assassin miniguide

Find a handful of guides and walkthroughs here!
onlonte
Stone Warrior
30 | 0
Legendary Supporter Badge
Donated 25 times
Common Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
I have one question...
My assasin is just Level 40 but when i leveled up i could only Cast Maelstorm very slow ... very long cd... i didnt change anything no skilling no stats no iteams i just leveled up and befor i could cast very fast ... why ?
Istaryu
Harpylisk
1441 | 58
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
onlonte wrote:I have one question...
My assasin is just Level 40 but when i leveled up i could only Cast Maelstorm very slow ... very long cd... i didnt change anything no skilling no stats no iteams i just leveled up and befor i could cast very fast ... why ?

Read the skill.

► Show Spoiler
onlonte
Stone Warrior
30 | 0
Legendary Supporter Badge
Donated 25 times
Common Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
Istaryu wrote:
onlonte wrote:I have one question...

Read the skill.

► Show Spoiler

Omfg i am so stupid... ty
Diaco
Void Archon
880 | 43
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
*insert unintentional double post here*
Edited by Diaco 4 years.
Istaryu
Harpylisk
1441 | 58
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Diaco wrote:Is
The Doom Gong of Xiansai
The Doom Gong of Xiansai
Aspis (Sacred)

Defense: (3146 - 3539) to (3672 - 4131)
Chance to Block: 5%
(Assassin Only)
Required Level: 100
Required Strength: 550
Required Dexterity: 559
Item Level: 105
2% Chance to cast level 12 Thunder Slam on Melee Attack
1% Base Block Chance
Adds (10 to 40)-(50 to 100) Damage
(10 to 20)% Life stolen per Hit
+(140 to 170)% Enhanced Defense
20% to Dexterity
Socketed (4)
a better option than
Black Sheep Wall
Black Sheep Wall
Totem Shield (4)

Defense: (47 - 51) to (91 - 100)
Chance to Block: 4%
(Assassin Only)
Required Level: 6
Required Dexterity: 44
Item Level: 10
+1 to Assassin Skill Levels
+(4 to 5) to Maximum Damage
Adds 6-8 Magic Damage
2% Chance of Crushing Blow
+(12 to 23)% Enhanced Defense
4% to Dexterity
+2 to Light Radius
Socketed (1)
Defense: (175 - 189) to (290 - 313)
(Assassin Only)
Required Level: 24
Required Dexterity: 65
Item Level: 31
+2 to Assassin Skill Levels
+(7 to 9) to Maximum Damage
Adds 18-23 Magic Damage
4% Chance of Crushing Blow
+(35 to 46)% Enhanced Defense
8% to Dexterity
+4 to Light Radius
Socketed (4)
Defense: (442 - 473) to (701 - 750)
(Assassin Only)
Required Level: 41
Required Dexterity: 137
Item Level: 51
+3 to Assassin Skill Levels
+(15 to 18) to Maximum Damage
Adds 61-68 Magic Damage
6% Chance of Crushing Blow
+(58 to 69)% Enhanced Defense
12% to Dexterity
+7 to Light Radius
Socketed (5)
Defense: (650 - 693) to (1025 - 1092)
(Assassin Only)
Required Level: 50
Required Dexterity: 282
Item Level: 77
+4 to Assassin Skill Levels
+(31 to 36) to Maximum Damage
Adds 150-200 Magic Damage
7% Chance of Crushing Blow
+(69 to 80)% Enhanced Defense
16% to Dexterity
+10 to Light Radius
Socketed (6)
?

For farming, i might consider it, the life after kill is pretty nice, but for bossing, black sheep wall is definetly better.
Conquest
Azure Drake
169 | 9
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
You found a doom gong and really want to make some use out of it. Yeah, it will never come close to Hexward for this build but comparing it against a TU shield might give it a bit of an edge.

Bear in mind there is 12x Mystic Orb slot difference between those. I guess i'd use Doom Gong for farming until I can get a hexward or any other good rolled dexterity-providing shield.

This doom gong really is a melee sin shield tho. It has strong CC proc on melee attack which will proc roughly once per 20 seconds (5 attacks/sec) and goes well with life after each kill. Doesn't sanguine covenant give the same thing? It's also easier to reach high block with it, those melee sins don't stack dex so hard like the throwing ones so extra CTB helps. Heck, for farming i'd just use wheel of fortune - good reduction of elemental dmg (2% max res, some absorbs) and 40% mf on it.
shinryuuken
Banned
12 | 0
I am wondering if there is a way for the maelstrom sin to do Samuel and the dimensional labyrinth? Is there an endgame for this build?
Istaryu
Harpylisk
1441 | 58
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
shinryuuken wrote:I am wondering if there is a way for the maelstrom sin to do Samuel and the dimensional labyrinth? Is there an endgame for this build?

Maelstrom is not a good single target skill, it just does okay single target dmg, so Samel would be a huge pain in the ass, because the longer the fight goes, the more difficult it gets.

And for labs, the answer is 100% no:
1, There is curse immunity, so no doom, which is a huge dmg loss.
2, You need to stack a lot of max res at high tiers, which will lower your dex a lot. Sure, other builds also lose dmg (or other utility like leech) because of this, but maelstrom suffers a lot, because (almost) all the dmg comes from dex.
3, You cant afford to do high tier labs with 0 def, which means no tiefling. Even without tiefling, this build will have negligible amounts of def. Corrupted barb has an absurd amount of dmg, with low attack rating, which is a big problem with low amounts of def.
4, Life pool. Most builds go a lot of vit for labs, or have other way to get big life pool. Going vit will hurt the dmg output even more, and life pool would be still low anyways. WIth low hp pool, stuff will just 1shot you (in high tiers).

Maelstrom sin overall is a great build to do most of the content with budget gear, but it has its limits.
shinryuuken
Banned
12 | 0
Istaryu wrote:
shinryuuken wrote:I am wondering if there is a way for the maelstrom sin to do Samuel and the dimensional labyrinth? Is there an endgame for this build?

Maelstrom is not a good single target skill, it just does okay single target dmg, so Samel would be a huge pain in the ass, because the longer the fight goes, the more difficult it gets.

2, You need to stack a lot of max res at high tiers, which will lower your dex a lot. Sure, other builds also lose dmg (or other utility like leech) because of this, but maelstrom suffers a lot, because (almost) all the dmg comes from dex.
3, You cant afford to do high tier labs with 0 def, which means no tiefling. Even without tiefling, this build will have negligible amounts of def. Corrupted barb has an absurd amount of dmg, with low attack rating, which is a big problem with low amounts of def.
4, Life pool. Most builds go a lot of vit for labs, or have other way to get big life pool. Going vit will hurt the dmg output even more, and life pool would be still low anyways. WIth low hp pool, stuff will just 1shot you (in high tiers).

Maelstrom sin overall is a great build to do most of the content with budget gear, but it has its limits.

It sounds like the sin can't do Samuel and Labs almost no matter what because most of the problems stated here are problems with the class and not the build itself. I am still wondering if there is a way for the sin to complete the game?
Diaco
Void Archon
880 | 43
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
shinryuuken wrote:
Istaryu wrote:

It sounds like the sin can't do Samuel and Labs almost no matter what because most of the problems stated here are problems with the class and not the build itself. I am still wondering if there is a way for the sin to complete the game?

I'm pretty sure trapsin can do labs