[Not recommended as of 2.1] Maelstrom Assassin miniguide

Find a handful of guides and walkthroughs here!
kolyeah8
Azure Drake
173 | 5
Istaryu wrote:I tried pushing the build as far as i can, this is the result:

I beleive 15k dex is achievable, because crafts could be a little bit better, and the characer is only lvl 134.

oof, that looks nice, can you share notarmory? i tried looking the char up but it seems out of date or so? is it nonladder?
Istaryu
Harpylisk
1443 | 58
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
kolyeah8 wrote:
Istaryu wrote:I tried pushing the build as far as i can, this is the result:

I beleive 15k dex is achievable, because crafts could be a little bit better, and the characer is only lvl 134.

oof, that looks nice, can you share notarmory? i tried looking the char up but it seems out of date or so? is it nonladder?

Because it is not on tsw. It is just tons of effigies and umos used. Double blessed crafts, the effigy that reduces lvl requirement, and lots and lots of idol of stars umo.
kolyeah8
Azure Drake
173 | 5
I see,

i think i pretty much finished my project this season: the maelstrom/ways sin hybrid!
Last season i made the pure dex sin and thought about how i can improve it and i thought maybe by adding ways / a little def.

ImageImage

https://tsw.vn.cz/acc/char.php?name=peaceres

So i think dmg is enough for everything and i feel the little def increases chance to not get hit.
I can do labs with this setup until 12, but havent tried socketing more maxres.

All in all a little more expensive probably, but defo viable, i think it plays almost the same.

Rank 2 on ladder btw :P
Istaryu
Harpylisk
1443 | 58
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
1.5 update:
APF-20 'MAELSTROM' MK1: weapon damage increased by 13%, fixed a minor tooltip error
TIEFLING FORM: Removed dex, ways are no longer disabled.

The maelstrom buff doesnt do anything, pretty much. I think the tiefling nerf will hurt the build below like lvl 120-125, because that flat dex is actually really huge with all the dex stacking, and way of the phoenix, the only replacement for it will not do much for the build.
Basically this means that we lose a big chunk of our damage (and tankiness from block) before we start making good crafts, and get lots of stat from charms. Lategame, this should translate into a ~10-15% dmg loss.

TLDR: It is possible, that this build is no longer a t0 starter.

Let me know your thoughts.
Captcha
Mangler
486 | 26
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
I played maelstrom assassin when aerial was leading the way with the build in 1.1. Aerial, as you probably know, is a very experienced player who beat the whole game using tiered uniques - on a different build though (barb).

I don't think there have been any real changes since 1.1 (?) so TF doesn't seem a real nerf to me. Unless you're only thinking about levelling.

He switched to storm crows in late game iirc.
Istaryu
Harpylisk
1443 | 58
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
I did some quick testing, here are the results:

Char lvl 105, most suggested early game gear, all items mo'd fully, which is a generous assumption already, all lvl 105 charms.
Without tiefling dex: 2151 dex, 3590 average maelstrom dmg
With tiefling dex: 2656 dex, 4228 average maelstrom dmg
This is a loss of 9% block chance, and ~15% dmg.

Yes, yes, you can come with the argument that you can use ways now. Way of the phoenix adds ~700 fire dmg to weapon at this lvl, with a total of 35 pierce. This means, on bosses it adds roughly 700*0.65= 420 dmg per hit, and that you will do roughly the same damage. Add doom into the calculation, and the pure magic dmg from maelstrom wins. And i will just mention the fact that later bosses are balanced around having -100 resists (which means 170 pierce), so ways will fall behind greatly as you level up, because this build cant afford to stack pierce.

Unbuffed stats:
kolyeah8
Azure Drake
173 | 5
I mean, the last post before istaryus about the changes is my post about the ways/maelstrom thing being viable.

You obviously use way of the griphon also, why would you use beacon now ?
+ you get armor to make up for early missing block.
+ +skills do have a bigger effect than is pure dex build, so you gear differently

You see my char sheet up there, the changes just add 13% magic dmg to it.
Istaryu
Harpylisk
1443 | 58
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
kolyeah8 wrote:I mean, the last post before istaryus about the changes is my post about the ways/maelstrom thing being viable.

You obviously use way of the griphon also, why would you use beacon now ?
+ you get armor to make up for early missing block.
+ +skills do have a bigger effect than is pure dex build, so you gear differently

You see my char sheet up there, the changes just add 13% magic dmg to it.

Viable? Yes. Worse than pure dex stacking? Yes. Do i recommend it? Absolutely not. Why not just go with what the build has synergy with?

Char sheet dmg means nothing. As i said, elemental dmg is balanced around -100% res, and your 87 pierce means you are only doing 117/200=0.585, 58.5% dmg of their full potential (On bosses with 70 resists). On the other hand, if you use doom, your (almost) pure magic dmg on your character sheet gets amplified.
kolyeah8
Azure Drake
173 | 5
I dont understand why you are so stubbornly against it.

I tried both builds for a full season and they play the same. You trade like 1% of dmg for a little more defense. thats it.
"Absolutely not" recommending it is very harsh, especially with the changes now.

edit: yeah i know about resists, but you can easily switch out some gear to get more -res and +3skills which also increase the maelstrom dmg noticeably.
Still as i said, i played both chars and the difference in damage is negligible. Your main dmg ist still from maelstrom. You have way more flexibility with the build.
Not all monsters have 99% resists btw, so your calculation is still not real.

Be a little open :D
Pinball
A dragon with boobs
6557 | 255
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
1) Put 10 points into WotS - a poison dmg passive and bring the dmg tooltip to a conversation.
2) Playing elemental dmg build with 87% pierce at end game.
3) Saying losing ~280 flat dex is like trading 1% of damage.
4) Saying skill bonus is bigger than pure dex build
5) Saying not all monsters has 99% res.

What the F are you smoking bro? Next time use better weed, dont even try the low quality one. Also, I love there are ppl who use #rank on level ladder into a conversation.

I understand the nerf. Maelstrom sin is still good next patch but not with the way you did as above. Istaryu wasnt stubborn. He just opened a discussion about changes for next patch btw...