[Not recommended as of 2.1] Maelstrom Assassin miniguide

Find a handful of guides and walkthroughs here!
CircaG
Balrog
131 | 4
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Hey man,

Love this guide! I'm going to try it out tomorrow when I get home. I have a question about mid/high level farming and how you efficiently get your upgrades:

When you say "this should be your first upgrade (the sacred shield)", do you actually have a plan of how to get that, or is it just the RNG of getting it? Like have you actually solo farmed and found all of the sacred items you need, or do you use the trade site on here? The trade site confuses me on here, but I feel like it would take 3 weeks of endless farming to find specific SUs.

Thanks man
Istaryu
Harpylisk
1442 | 58
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
CircaG wrote:Hey man,

Love this guide! I'm going to try it out tomorrow when I get home. I have a question about mid/high level farming and how you efficiently get your upgrades:

When you say "this should be your first upgrade (the sacred shield)", do you actually have a plan of how to get that, or is it just the RNG of getting it? Like have you actually solo farmed and found all of the sacred items you need, or do you use the trade site on here? The trade site confuses me on here, but I feel like it would take 3 weeks of endless farming to find specific SUs.

Thanks man

There is no way of target farming items. You gotta pay for rngsus if you play sp, and trade for it if you are playing on the server. There are some methods that allow you to farm quite some tg fast in early league. Not sure about now, but items are cheap by this point in the ladder.
AKwasp
Dark Huntress
10 | 0
Happy Thanksgiving! I respecced out of Ways for TF and managed to invest 0str with some gear modifications.

Istaryu wrote: I'm curious what your stats are with that build compared to mine

► Show Spoiler

Istaryu wrote: Not that important, but for boots, you do want ilvl90, because thats when 2 assa skills can roll on boots. You should also go above 85, because there are some affixes that can roll on ilvl85 items, but cant on higher, lowering your chances of hitting the better ones. All loot found in hell will be at least ilvl 99 anyways.

I didn't think to check Max alvl, excellent feedback. Also forgot to look at +skills, was just searching +/% to Attributes/Dex. Speaking of which, Affix documentation says Circlets can roll +Skills but not Dex/Attributes, while generic Helms are the opposite. Are Circlets technically a subset of Helms? Can Abandoned Shrine crafting/blessing still work if Circlets don't naturally roll stats?

Oddly, the Gem Shatter recipe appears to be missing from the Cube Recipe Documentation? magic item + gem + rune ⇒ reroll item as rare (loses 15% item level)
This would make ilvl85 rares very easy to prepare for shrine crafting.

Istaryu wrote: You want to boost the base dmg of the weapon, and you want survivability from the life after kill.

Is the +1-2 dmg MO on armors similarly useful?

Istaryu wrote:Rings and mulets should be MO'd with: mana regen, resists, magic find

There's no way to remove Mystic Orbs from an item, correct? I forgot MF can be worthwhile unlike in Path of Exile.

BTW I typed up a loot filter for searching for generic rare sacred armors:
► Show Spoiler
Artas28
Stygian Watcher
40 | 0
delete
Eltrius
Thunder Beetle
54 | 0
Common Popularity Badge
Great guide, always loved this build, just one question, why no point on Scorpion blade for fleetches, or is not worth at all?
Crash
Madawc
6799 | 327
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Showcase Badge
Median XL Broadcaster
Common Guide Badge
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Eltrius wrote:Great guide, always loved this build, just one question, why no point on Scorpion blade for fleetches, or is not worth at all?

why would he use a poison wdm/spell knife skill on a build that primarily focuses on magic dmg?
Eltrius
Thunder Beetle
54 | 0
Common Popularity Badge
Crash wrote:
Eltrius wrote:Great guide, always loved this build, just one question, why no point on Scorpion blade for fleetches, or is not worth at all?

why would he use a poison wdm/spell knife skill on a build that primarily focuses on magic dmg?

you're not gonna use Scorpion Blade skill, just for the fletchees synergy
Istaryu
Harpylisk
1442 | 58
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
I have no idea what you are talking about guys. Maelstrom doesnt have any synergy with Scorpion blade. It is the other way around. Scorpion blade fires more knives per 4 base lvls in maelstrom.
skrig
Balrog
128 | 0
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Istaryu wrote:I have no idea what you are talking about guys. Maelstrom doesnt have any synergy with Scorpion blade. It is the other way around. Scorpion blade fires more knives per 4 base lvls in maelstrom.

Classic :D
AKwasp
Dark Huntress
10 | 0
I've got a weekend gear update!
Istaryu wrote: I'm curious what your stats are with that build compared to mine

► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

Very lucky and excited when Witchhunter's Hood dropped on Sunday! Paired it up with body armor for that nice +75 dex, and it requires even less STR than Tracker. Decided to pair this with Serpent's Belt + Boots because I could achieve the 318 STR with honorific t4 gloves. I also have spare MO space on all the armor I'm not sure how to fill, probably with flat damage eventually. Overall, feels smooth to play and very fun character!

I tried shrine crafting but nothing came out as good as these semi-set pieces. Especially because they require so much more strength to equip. I drafted a table of relevant craftable affixes, but am having a hard time evaluating the outcomes. Advice would be appreciated. Especially advice how to weigh the value of +skills.
► Show Spoiler

Also where did you find the throwing/balanced knife IAS breakpoints? Do they cap out as you listed?

I'm looking forward to playing through Triune and Teganze when I next get a chance. Never gotten that far in MXL before. Hopefully my gear is good enough!