Ice Battle Mage (Cold Sorc)

Find a handful of guides and walkthroughs here!
Dru
Grubber
338 | 23
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Inahk wrote:I really think there should be some mention of Moonstrike + Cold Blooded from the melee tree in here. In endgame gear the duration gets up to 20+ seconds, it gives 20% Max Life which is huge, and Cold Blooded even with only the 700 dex to use a Ceremonial Armor is 7% pierce for 2 points. Optionally far more if you invest more into Dex with
Svalinn

Svalinn
Shields

'RhalLoOhn'
Runeword Level: 115
-1% to Enemy Elemental Resistances per 150 Dexterity
8% Chance to cast level 7 Life Spark when Blocking
1% Base Block Chance
15% Block Speed
20% Hit Recovery
+(151 to 200)% Enhanced Defense
+(30 to 40) to all Attributes
(15 to 20)% to Dexterity
+200 to Life
Fire Resist +(20 to 25)%
Lightning Resist +(20 to 25)%
Cold Resist +(20 to 25)%
Poison Resist +(20 to 25)%
Fire Absorb (3 to 5)%
Physical Resist 5%
shield and Nova Charge dex to energy conversion. I'm running a setup with 2100 Dex that gets me 35% Pierce, a bunch of energy, and 29% Block, but even without that I think those 3 points are very worth taking.

Also regarding Max Res you should consider
Adrenaline Rush
Adrenaline Rush
Ring

Required Level: 100
Item Level: 120
+1 to All Skills
40% Combat Speeds
40% Movement Speed
Maximum Elemental Resists +1%
, since this build uses both Cast and Attack speed the 40% Combat Speeds are very useful for getting to the top breakpoints. If you use
Celestial Barrier
Celestial Barrier
Spiked Shield (Sacred)

Defense: (2525 - 2828) to (3012 - 3374)
Chance to Block: 1% + Class%
Required Dexterity: 550
Item Level: 120
+(4 to 5) to All Skills
1% Base Block Chance
-50% Attack Speed
30% Cast Speed
-(20 to 25)% to Enemy Elemental Resistances
+(150 to 180)% Enhanced Defense
50% Bonus to Defense
1% Reanimate as: Random Monster
Socketed (6)
this Attack Speed seems even more needed to overcome its -50% penalty.

My setup if you're interested, though its not fully min maxxed yet:
https://tsw.vn.cz/char/Inahk

Also currently wondering if I can get enough Mana Regen to drop Meditation for Endurance. Maybe with MO's on all jewellery.

Thanks for reminding me i highly reccomend 1 adrenaline rush. Updating guide when i wake up
loreth2021
Thunder Beetle
55 | 0
Dru wrote:
loreth2021 wrote:
im 136 light spec, farming fauzt with 222% mf; thinking about to switching back to cold with 140 and trying scosgl. the only reason i dislike cold is because of the melee range of glacial/boss/ubers killing skill- it's just not my type of playstyle

is there any suggested min req on equipment for having smooth scosgl runs? im with set and lunar eclipse belt only regarding gear- do i need endgame gear to be able to start scosglen farming with 140? (if so, then i have to continue fauzt and trade the stuff)

- You're not alone with not liking the playstyle. Yea, its stupidly strong, but the playstyle feels a bit off for those that are used to casting a spell with range. However, I do wanna say; " the more i play the cold sorc, the more i get used to it and enjoy it". Once you get past the playstyle you actually clear speed content no problem
- My recommendation for having a smooth scosglen run is if you are stuck in the set, try swapping to endgame skill tree and stack pgems in your gear for Max Resistances, see if it helps. if it doesn't help or work then you definitely want to start maxing out resistances and swapping to end game gear.

thanks!

and warp armor 24/25 + vengeful spirit 10/25 is mandatory or? i really like 13 snow queen + 8 ice elementals as for having 5 blockers; as merc is usually dying anyway fast (or you go necrolyte with items for lab where he has more res).

i guess i have to give it a try with the suggested endgame spec and see if i can survive with 140 and zann esu's set.
Dru
Grubber
338 | 23
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Great Guide Badge
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
loreth2021 wrote:
Dru wrote:
loreth2021 wrote:
im 136 light spec, farming fauzt with 222% mf; thinking about to switching back to cold with 140 and trying scosgl. the only reason i dislike cold is because of the melee range of glacial/boss/ubers killing skill- it's just not my type of playstyle

is there any suggested min req on equipment for having smooth scosgl runs? im with set and lunar eclipse belt only regarding gear- do i need endgame gear to be able to start scosglen farming with 140? (if so, then i have to continue fauzt and trade the stuff)

- You're not alone with not liking the playstyle. Yea, its stupidly strong, but the playstyle feels a bit off for those that are used to casting a spell with range. However, I do wanna say; " the more i play the cold sorc, the more i get used to it and enjoy it". Once you get past the playstyle you actually clear speed content no problem
- My recommendation for having a smooth scosglen run is if you are stuck in the set, try swapping to endgame skill tree and stack pgems in your gear for Max Resistances, see if it helps. if it doesn't help or work then you definitely want to start maxing out resistances and swapping to end game gear.

thanks!

and warp armor 24/25 + vengeful spirit 10/25 is mandatory or? i really like 13 snow queen + 8 ice elementals as for having 5 blockers; as merc is usually dying anyway fast (or you go necrolyte with items for lab where he has more res).

i guess i have to give it a try with the suggested endgame spec and see if i can survive with 140 and zann esu's set.

Oh if you are using the set still then i guess keep the ice elementals and snow queen. Drop warp vengeful power and hive and keep warp armor and nova charge. Then to negate the loss of physical resist you might want to get tenacity over meditation . then time to beef up ypur ice elementals and max those out for more life and damage. Then you will need to cap minion resists to 60-75% resists. Theres going to be alot of investment to keep those minions alive so expect some damage loss.
Fenric
Thunder Beetle
58 | 0
Diesel11 wrote:Image

Shrine crafted. SF/Cold damage and energy from MOs. Are these good gloves? I feel like this is best i can get from shrines before the end game option/s.

+2 is possible. Here are some basic ones I rolled, just missed cold spell damage. Could bless some on I guess.
Cah23
Grubber
321 | 2
Hey Dru have you, or anyone else running this build, started doing labs yet? I've plateaued at lab 6. I can squeeze in to 7 but 6 is about where I start dying
often. Any tips?
Dru
Grubber
338 | 23
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Great Guide Badge
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Cah23 wrote:Hey Dru have you, or anyone else running this build, started doing labs yet? I've plateaued at lab 6. I can squeeze in to 7 but 6 is about where I start dying
often. Any tips?

do you know whats killing you? kind of hard to tell without watching you die xd. but in general youd want to Min Max your char if you are doing rifts. meaning , make sure all your charms are near maximum potential for the build. then if you havent, make a life/mana wormhole with maybe dexterity. Also make sure your Resistances are Capped out at 90% Fire/Cold/Lightning/85%+ Poison
if none of that works, try raising your physical resistances and defense . in order to squeeze in more physical resist you'd want to pick up Tenacity over maybe Mana Regen . To boost your defenses mitigate skill points so they give more defense rather than damage. Meaning, place your points in Warp Armor, and maybe Crystalline Barrier. If NONE OF THAAAT works. swapping skill tree around could make a difference. For example; you could run Vengeful Power and Snow Queen.

BIS
- Note : in rifts Avoid is HALVED. it would be SMART to transition OUT of
Armor of the Old Religion
Ceremonial Armor (Sacred)

Defense: (8437 - 9306) to (10452 - 11529)
(Sorceress Only)
Required Dexterity: 722
Item Level: 105
+(4 to 5) to Sorceress Skill Levels
+200 Spell Focus
50% Hit Recovery
+(35 to 50)% to Fire Spell Damage
+(35 to 50)% to Lightning Spell Damage
+(35 to 50)% to Cold Spell Damage
+(9 to 12) to Sacrifices
+(172 to 200)% Enhanced Defense
Elemental Resists +25%
10% Chance to Avoid Damage
+(101 to 150) Life after each Kill
Socketed (6)
, Warp Armor and vengeful power. Pick yourself up a
Curandera

Curandera
Sorceress Body Armors

'ZurUmTaha'
+4 to Sorceress Skill Levels
20% Cast Speed
-10% to Enemy Elemental Resistances
+200% Enhanced Defense
+1 Life Regenerated per Second (Based on Character Level)
Regenerate Mana +7%
Elemental Resists +(45 to 65)%
Physical Resist 30%
, change your Skill Tree to Living Flame and maybe Snow Queen for FLAT Defense and Max Life %, rather than Avoid % and TCD %.
Cah23
Grubber
321 | 2
Dru wrote:
Cah23 wrote:Hey Dru have you, or anyone else running this build, started doing labs yet? I've plateaued at lab 6. I can squeeze in to 7 but 6 is about where I start dying
often. Any tips?

do you know whats killing you? kind of hard to tell without watching you die xd. but in general youd want to Min Max your char if you are doing rifts. meaning , make sure all your charms are near maximum potential for the build. then if you havent, make a life/mana wormhole with maybe dexterity. Also make sure your Resistances are Capped out at 90% Fire/Cold/Lightning/85%+ Poison
if none of that works, try raising your physical resistances and defense . in order to squeeze in more physical resist you'd want to pick up Tenacity over maybe Mana Regen . To boost your defenses mitigate skill points so they give more defense rather than damage. Meaning, place your points in Warp Armor, and maybe Crystalline Barrier. If NONE OF THAAAT works. swapping skill tree around could make a difference. For example; you could run Vengeful Power and Snow Queen.

BIS

(Sorceress Only)
+200 Spell Focus
50% Hit Recovery
+(9 to 12) to Sacrifices
Elemental Resists +25%
Socketed (6)
Curandera

Curandera
Sorceress Body Armors

'ZurUmTaha'
20% Cast Speed
+200% Enhanced Defense
Regenerate Mana +7%
Physical Resist 30%
, change your Skill Tree to Living Flame and maybe Snow Queen for FLAT Defense and Max Life %, rather than Avoid % and TCD %.

Damn, good advice. I'd have to run through again. I believe it was the Harpies or observers (flame bolt) im 89/89/90/89. All charms save for dim key and nearly all are high and trophied saved for vial of elder. Im at 50% pr (Kab sleep + hit on most of my greater lucks)

As far as your BIS note, I like that build. Would you consider
Curandera

Curandera
Sorceress Body Armors

'ZurUmTaha'
20% Cast Speed
+200% Enhanced Defense
Regenerate Mana +7%
Physical Resist 30%
+ living flame, snow queen BiS in general or just for running labs?
Dru
Grubber
338 | 23
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Great Guide Badge
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Cah23 wrote:
Dru wrote:
often. Any tips?

BIS

(Sorceress Only)
+200 Spell Focus
50% Hit Recovery
+(9 to 12) to Sacrifices
Elemental Resists +25%
Socketed (6)
Curandera

Curandera
Sorceress Body Armors

'ZurUmTaha'
20% Cast Speed
+200% Enhanced Defense
Regenerate Mana +7%
Physical Resist 30%

Damn, good advice. I'd have to run through again. I believe it was the Harpies or observers (flame bolt) im 89/89/90/89. All charms save for dim key and nearly all are high and trophied saved for vial of elder. Im at 50% pr (Kab sleep + hit on most of my greater lucks)

As far as your BIS note, I like that build. Would you consider
Curandera

Curandera
Sorceress Body Armors

'ZurUmTaha'
20% Cast Speed
+200% Enhanced Defense
Regenerate Mana +7%
Physical Resist 30%
+ living flame, snow queen BiS in general or just for running labs?

- yea imo rifts are nothing like the rest of the content. it requires a lot investment compared to duncraig,fauzt, andviz jung. Scosglen is the closest now, but the size of the map and type of monsters may have a play in that compared to rift maps and mob types. rifts are really compacted maps filled with monsters. no room to really avoid much so you will be taking more incoming damage. sacrificing some damage for more defensive stats from cold sorc just for rifts is the play. you need to be able to tank the close ranged incoming damage. Picking Living flame for the life regen might help to regain your stability. and snow queen gives 13% max life and insane amounts of flat defense which would be more essential probably. this would be probably be the case only for rifting
07officer
Imp
5 | 0
Do we have any guide about the best merc for us ?

I tried the current one in the guide, she keep dying once I try to do 135 area lvl ?

Any upgrade we could do to her for be better or switch to another ?
loreth2021
Thunder Beetle
55 | 0
maybe necrolyte for force blast and miasma using lab items setup