147 | 2
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Legendary Supporter Badge
Donated 25 times
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
tran555 wrote:
Skeptic_Zero wrote:Someone really needs to update this guide. Melee nec is ownage now.

Could you elaborate ? Was something changed that makes him more viable now ? Do tell please :)

Yeah you should read the last patch notes. Carnage hits like the hand of god now. Also all of the item advice in this guide is terribly outdated.

I'm almost half considering making a 1.3 guide when i really learn this spec enough.
ChuckNoRis
Flying Polar Buffalo
3006 | 81
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
if you are interested in the carnage build you can find the updated miniguide here viewtopic.php?f=40&t=491#link21
Fumbles
Tantrum changes fan
1412 | 183
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Guide Badge
ChuckNoRis wrote:if you are interested in the carnage build you can find the updated miniguide here http://forum.median-xl.com/viewtopic.ph ... 491#link21

I don't think the people who work hard testing builds and writing full guides appreciate when you spam your gear suggestion compilation in their threads. This isn't the first time you've done this. Please stop.
Dandy
Vampiress
38 | 1
Some people did ask for an update. His mini-guides may certainly aren't in depth explanations, but if he updated them, they do provide a gear baseline worthy of consideration.
Sounds innocent enough. But I am just recently back here so I may be missing some context.
tran555
Prowler
15 | 0
ChuckNoRis wrote:if you are interested in the carnage build you can find the updated miniguide here http://forum.median-xl.com/viewtopic.ph ... 491#link21

thanks
Skeptic_Zero
Abomination
147 | 2
Great Popularity Badge
Legendary Supporter Badge
Donated 25 times
Common Guide Badge

Don't take this the wrong way, but have you ever played that build in ubers? You don't have any % damage reduct, no block, very little life on attack and virtually no life steal, very low crushing blow % (which you don't help by not 1-pointing howling totem) and little if anything on gear to help your AR. It does have some nice procs. Even though the gear you suggest is very expensive, it somehow manages to do low damage and have little survivability.

Additionally, you suggest going with dragonfire at low levels (a skill that doesn't do any appreciable damage until high point investment), and to take Pestilence at end game, even though dragonfire synergizes very well with carnage and vastly outdamages it with 25+ points, as well as the fact that most bosses are immune to poison anyway. You also suggest putting 25 points into Deathlord even though even with crappy gear you will hit the defense cap at somewhere around 8-12 points (I hit my cap at 7 with fairly low str/dex and decent +skills), which wastes 15 skill points. You don't 1-point talon's hold or Bane, which are incredibly useful 1 pointers, and you don't 1 point void archon. Void Archon + Bane is an immensely powerful AOE debuff combo that bumps your damage output and reduces damage taken greatly, at least in my experience anyhow.

I know you have a lot of guides, so perhaps I'm looking at it wrong, but I'm honestly curious as to why you chose all those options. I admit it's possible I don't know much about melee nec and have been playing wrong all along, but I'm just confused as to why for instance you'd waste 25 points in a skill like Deathlord that only benefits for a few points, and with 500 sigs and good +skills you might hit the cap at 5.
Kylrath
Bone Archer
75 | 4
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Skeptic_Zero wrote:
tran555 wrote:
Skeptic_Zero wrote:Someone really needs to update this guide. Melee nec is ownage now.

Could you elaborate ? Was something changed that makes him more viable now ? Do tell please :)

Yeah you should read the last patch notes. Carnage hits like the hand of god now. Also all of the item advice in this guide is terribly outdated.

I'm almost half considering making a 1.3 guide when i really learn this spec enough.

You are right. Im running a melee necro now and he is a beast. I love the new carnage. And you dont have to invest a lot to make him strong.
My items:
Scales of the Serpent
Scales of the Serpent
Gothic Plate (Sacred)

Defense: (7481 - 8308) to (9074 - 10078)
Required Level: 100
Required Strength: 675
Item Level: 105
15% Chance to cast level 40 Arachnomancy on Melee Attack
4% Chance to cast level 12 Time Strike on Striking
(31 to 40)% Hit Recovery
+90% Damage to Undead
Adds 200-300 Poison Damage over 2 seconds
-35% to Enemy Poison Resistance
5% Chance of Crushing Blow
Weapon Physical Damage +(25 to 30)%
+(144 to 171)% Enhanced Defense
+100 to Strength
+50 Life on Melee Attack
Socketed (6)
(used
Hratli's Craft
Hratli's Craft
Ring Mail (Sacred)

Defense: (6628 - 7311) to (7292 - 8043)
Required Strength:
Item Level: 105
+1 to All Skills
25% Cast Speed
50% Hit Recovery
+(41 to 50)% to Summoned Minion Life
+(172 to 200)% Enhanced Defense
+75 to Dexterity
Physical Resist 10%
40% Magic Find
Requirements -40%
Socketed (6)
and crafted trash before i found it ),
Glor-An-Fhaidha's Firebark
, the rest crafted to reach breakpoints. Sadly i dont have shaad right now to make Tzeentch , but I did in sp before and mobs melted in a blink of an eye. If you decide to make an updated guide, or have some nice ideas just post it here :) , it would be welcomed by many.
Kylrath
Bone Archer
75 | 4
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Skeptic_Zero wrote:
ChuckNoRis wrote:if you are interested in the carnage build you can find the updated miniguide here viewtopic.php?f=40&t=491#link21

Don't take this the wrong way, but have you ever played that build in ubers? You don't have any % damage reduct, no block, very little life on attack and virtually no life steal, very low crushing blow % (which you don't help by not 1-pointing howling totem) and little if anything on gear to help your AR. It does have some nice procs. Even though the gear you suggest is very expensive, it somehow manages to do low damage and have little survivability.

Additionally, you suggest going with dragonfire at low levels (a skill that doesn't do any appreciable damage until high point investment), and to take Pestilence at end game, even though dragonfire synergizes very well with carnage and vastly outdamages it with 25+ points, as well as the fact that most bosses are immune to poison anyway. You also suggest putting 25 points into Deathlord even though even with crappy gear you will hit the defense cap at somewhere around 8-12 points (I hit my cap at 7 with fairly low str/dex and decent +skills), which wastes 15 skill points. You don't 1-point talon's hold or Bane, which are incredibly useful 1 pointers, and you don't 1 point void archon. Void Archon + Bane is an immensely powerful AOE debuff combo that bumps your damage output and reduces damage taken greatly, at least in my experience anyhow.

I know you have a lot of guides, so perhaps I'm looking at it wrong, but I'm honestly curious as to why you chose all those options. I admit it's possible I don't know much about melee nec and have been playing wrong all along, but I'm just confused as to why for instance you'd waste 25 points in a skill like Deathlord that only benefits for a few points, and with 500 sigs and good +skills you might hit the cap at 5.

Aiden's Lament
give you a lot of LoA, but that drain life..
Craton (Xis)
gives dr and tcd ,
Idol of Rygnar
Idol of Rygnar
Mask (Sacred)

Defense: (2068 - 2350) to (2208 - 2510)
Required Strength: 600
Item Level: 120
+2 to Necromancer Skill Levels
25% Life stolen per Hit
Weapon Physical Damage +(60 to 90)%
Hit Causes Monster to Flee +1%
+(120 to 150)% Enhanced Defense
+(40 to 50) to Strength
+(40 to 50) to Dexterity
Target Takes Additional Damage of 500
25% Gold Find
+5 to Light Radius
Socketed (4)
dat life stolen boi, it is a valid guide. If i would have a xis maybeee try it out, but i dont have.
Chuck's guide are good. But in this case I think theres a diff between mid and engame stuff. Midgame items are bad, lategame super expensive.
With a single shaad scythe and scales of serpent + craft, you could be better. Late items gives 0 fhr. Without fhr you are dead meat in fauntz. Worth to reach ias and fhr breakpoints, than this build can farm Dunc/Ta/Fauntz easy.

Found this video and item suggestion really expensive + jewels, but skillplan is decent (must be adjusted to new carnage tho).
He stacked a lot of ias and fhr from jewels / ber crafted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A23_8aeby7g

ps: rekt baal with crappy items in 20min...
Chris_Kush
Heretic
444 | 16
I'm playing a Dagger + Shield melee necro at the moment and it rekts. Facerolling Fauzt using carnage. Sha'ad RW Dagger and 4x Poison Rune Shield - Khalim's Protector. Scales of the Serpent body armour, Abandoned craft gloves and boots, Nero RW belt. all together i'm getting 15k damage on Carnage and 55% chance to block, really nice balance and it's owning :) :) Klaatu ammy is a nice bonus, trollskull on switch for bloodlust. happy times!
Pandiiten
Skeleton
2 | 0
Guys, im really new to the whole melee necro, and i have a question:

I have both a sha'ad and 6x Ea runes i have farmed with other chars.
My question is, what weapon should i use, the sha'ad runeword or the 6x Ea one?.

Edit: forgot to mention, i also have the full rathma set, however, im not sure that would beat some runewords while i farm for S/S/SU