The Hireling Handbook - A Guide to Mercenaries

Find a handful of guides and walkthroughs here!
Semigloss
Onyx Knight
600 | 26
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Does ranger barrage convert to ele damage? If so that totally sucks
NotCube
Grubber
337 | 161
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Semigloss wrote:Does ranger barrage convert to ele damage? If so that totally sucks

Yea her Barrage is converted to tri-ele dmg. Oddly enough, she clears very well with without investing in rainbow pierce, as you can see in the videos.

I'm trying out an elemental setup with
Athulua's Wrath
Athulua's Wrath
Stag Bow (Sacred)

(Amazon Only)
Required Level: 100
Required Dexterity: 557
Item Level: 120
Innate Tri-Elemental Damage:
(52.0% of Dexterity)
3% Chance to cast level 63 Sun Strike on Striking
1% Chance to cast level 6 Life Spark on Striking
Adds 400-950 Fire Damage
Adds 400-950 Lightning Damage
Adds 400-950 Cold Damage
-33% to Enemy Elemental Resistances
Elemental Resists -33%
1% Reanimate as: Random Monster
Socketed (6)
Quov Tsin's Talisman
Quov Tsin's Talisman
Amulet

Required Level: 110
Item Level: 110
15% Innate Elemental Damage
-(20 to 30)% to Enemy Elemental Resistances
Asgardsreia
Asgardsreia
Spangenhelm (Sacred)

Defense: (2894 - 3192) to (3206 - 3537)
(Amazon Only)
Required Level: 100
Required Strength:
Item Level: 120
5% Chance to cast level 1 Arrow on Striking
-2% Base Block Chance
-(29 to 35)% to Enemy Fire Resistance
-(29 to 35)% to Enemy Lightning Resistance
-(29 to 35)% to Enemy Cold Resistance
+(4 to 7) to Resurrect
+(172 to 200)% Enhanced Defense
(31 to 40)% to Dexterity
Requirements -50%
Socketed (4)
with ok results but it's hard to tell the difference in her kill speed.

Edit: Ok after a bit of testing I can say that an elemental setup clears slightly faster though the difference isn't significant.
nemmate
Grubber
301 | 8
Hy, I have a question : which merc is the best for a neutral paladin? He's a caster but with physical/magic damage and he needs to go near the monsters. I would like to pick a necrolyte. It's a good choice? Thx
Semigloss
Onyx Knight
600 | 26
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
nemmate wrote:Hy, I have a question : which merc is the best for a neutral paladin? He's a caster but with physical/magic damage and he needs to go near the monsters. I would like to pick a necrolyte. It's a good choice? Thx

Necrolyte if you need the crowd control and damage mitigation if offers. Otherwise Abjurer for lightning damage. Nice thing about nuetraldin is you can get high level Rapture or Euphoria to buff them with, really great for either Merc.
nemmate
Grubber
301 | 8
Semigloss wrote:
nemmate wrote:Hy, I have a question : which merc is the best for a neutral paladin? He's a caster but with physical/magic damage and he needs to go near the monsters. I would like to pick a necrolyte. It's a good choice? Thx

Necrolyte if you need the crowd control and damage mitigation if offers. Otherwise Abjurer for lightning damage. Nice thing about nuetraldin is you can get high level Rapture or Euphoria to buff them with, really great for either Merc.

Thank you so much, I will have a try with a necrolyte.
nemmate
Grubber
301 | 8
Hy, I have another question : what do you suggest for a summon necromancer? I can get Dark Power from unique grim wand, so I think about necrolyte or blood mage (as always). Thanks
NotCube
Grubber
337 | 161
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
nemmate wrote:Hy, I have another question : what do you suggest for a summon necromancer? I can get Dark Power from unique grim wand, so I think about necrolyte or blood mage (as always). Thanks

That depends on which type of summonmancer you're playing. Hawk summoner is just a caster so go for shifter if you need a tank. For abyss knights, necrolyte should provide more effective hp for your entire party thanks to miasma+forceblast compared to bloodmage's rare heal so I'd go with necrolyte.
nemmate
Grubber
301 | 8
NotCube wrote:
nemmate wrote:Hy, I have another question : what do you suggest for a summon necromancer? I can get Dark Power from unique grim wand, so I think about necrolyte or blood mage (as always). Thanks

That depends on which type of summonmancer you're playing. Hawk summoner is just a caster so go for shifter if you need a tank. For abyss knights, necrolyte should provide more effective hp for your entire party thanks to miasma+forceblast compared to bloodmage's rare heal so I'd go with necrolyte.

Thank a lot, and I understand, why the necrolyte is your favourite. I tested with some of my fav builds, and it's awesome. I love to play with melee characters. This merc is awesome, even with elemental melee chars. I approve with melee necromancer, holy melee paladin, wildfire druid and thundercrack amazon.
Ethario
Rust Claw
82 | 4
This is goddamn awesome dude good job !
Semigloss
Onyx Knight
600 | 26
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
^ agreed. I honestly never played with a merc before reading this.