The Hireling Handbook - A Guide to Mercenaries

Find a handful of guides and walkthroughs here!
felix0808
Pit Knight
116 | 12
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Some notes about Abjurer in rifts. In skosglen he is constantly dying from fire around little trees and from etherborn cold breath. I increased his res to 90 fire, 86 cold. It helps vs fire trees, he is dying not so fast, but still should be teleported if 2 or more trees can't be killed quickly. But etherborns anyway kills him very quickly. And this high res setup costs him a big chunk of dmg. Conclusion: Abjurer just can't survive in skos.

But he is very strong in vizjun and fauzt. With good gear (griffon eye, hide of basilisk, dementia...) and 50% PR, he just destroying necrobots and other mobs and hard to kill there.
nemmate
Grubber
301 | 8
Hy. Some changes with the new patch? Thx
Taem
Necrobot
2471 | 150
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
nemmate wrote:Hy. Some changes with the new patch? Thx

Nope, mercs suck just as bad as last patch. Was that the answer you were hoping for?
EnkerZan
Bone Archer
71 | 0
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Taem wrote:

Nope, mercs suck just as bad as last patch. Was that the answer you were hoping for?

Well that clears up the questions I was going to ask... Except for one.

Why in the hell were mercs nerfed so hard!?
Taem
Necrobot
2471 | 150
Common Posting Badge
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
EnkerZan wrote:
Taem wrote:

Well that clears up the questions I was going to ask... Except for one.

Why in the hell were mercs nerfed so hard!?

I don't think they were intentionally nerfed. The global health and damage reduction affected characters, monsters, and mercs however the big difference here is characters and monsters were balanced based around these changes whereas mercs were not. Either there has not been enough time, or someone on the dev team dislikes mercs, probably because they are difficult to balance the game around as their power can be as strong as a PC, so how do you balance around that? I'm merely hypothesizing here, this is not official.
EnkerZan
Bone Archer
71 | 0
Common Popularity Badge
I hope that gets addressed soon, cus right now the only mercs worth a shit seem to be Necrolytes and Shapeshifters.
Arubel
Bone Archer
74 | 0
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Hi, are there any usable mercs right now?
Ruubel
Onyx Knight
636 | 12
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Hm, even A1 merc stays stubbornly in front of a monster in attempt to kill him like a melee char, but tries to do it with a bow, shoots. That is not right, whats the difference between melee and ranged merc AI behaviour then ?
Bayah
Cultist
22 | 0
Common Popularity Badge
Arubel wrote:Hi, are there any usable mercs right now?

Offensive mercenaries or tanks no longer exist, they have lost the ability to survive (low health, zero dodge and low defense). Mercenaries in these latest updates now work better as support. I recommend two types of Act 3 mercenaries to support you, as in addition to avoiding physical combat against the horde of monsters (which kills them quickly), they use buff/debuffl to reduce enemy damage and slow enemies or recover all your health and increase your attack damage (phys /spell).
boozek
Son of Lucion
733 | 31
Common Posting Badge
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Arubel wrote:Hi, are there any usable mercs right now?

No they still cannot wear rings, probably no fingers are growing on their hands ;-|