The Hireling Handbook - A Guide to Mercenaries

Find a handful of guides and walkthroughs here!
NotCube
Grubber
337 | 161
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
PizzaGater wrote:Which Mo's do I need for a lab support rogue on webspinner ? I'm guessing some ED, IAS, and then, AR or something ?
also why Robe of Leaves ? looks like there could be some upgrades to this

IAS to target breakpoint, then yea ED to cap/near cap, then next stop is either CB or EWD. She has decent AR from dex already so it's not a big gain imo. Robe of Leaves used to give a gigantic amount of %life. It's still 6% this patch so not bad at all. Also it has a lot of room for MO.
PizzaGater
Banned
652 | 9
NotCube wrote:
PizzaGater wrote:Which Mo's do I need for a lab support rogue on webspinner ? I'm guessing some ED, IAS, and then, AR or something ?

IAS to target breakpoint, then yea ED to cap/near cap, then next stop is either CB or EWD. She has decent AR from dex already so it's not a big gain imo. Robe of Leaves used to give a gigantic amount of %life. It's still 6% this patch so not bad at all. Also it has a lot of room for MO.

thanks, looks like i need another bow then.
I think hellfire armor is much better, though not the same budget
NotCube
Grubber
337 | 161
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
PizzaGater wrote:
NotCube wrote:

thanks, looks like i need another bow then.
I think hellfire armor is much better, though not the same budget

Hellfire is pretty nice as long as you hit max/near max roll for her, and make sure you use lotto'ed jewels to make up for the loss of resist gems that could go in a non-rw armor otherwise. IIRC it wasn't easy to reach 260 all res for T13 (now T8).
NotCube
Grubber
337 | 161
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Removed all instances of On runes and amulet lottery. RIP mercs.
Squiggoth
Vampiress
39 | 0
How does AR work with mercs ?
I noticed you never suggest MO-ing some AR, and when I tried it, it seemed like their AR was unaffected. On the other hand, their base AR seems really low (around 2k).
Is there no way to increase it ?
NotCube
Grubber
337 | 161
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Squiggoth wrote:How does AR work with mercs ?
I noticed you never suggest MO-ing some AR, and when I tried it, it seemed like their AR was unaffected. On the other hand, their base AR seems really low (around 2k).
Is there no way to increase it ?

Mercs have AR but they seem to hit reliably anyway without much investment so the general consensus is it's not worth going the extra mile for AR.
Squiggoth
Vampiress
39 | 0
It's good to know, thank you.
And thanks for the handbook obviously :)
Amuse
Skeleton
3 | 0
Its been a few more days, anyone manage to get a merc to live in Scos? haha
Muilpeer
Daystar
667 | 23
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
I tried to make a merc that had %DR on almost every item. I haven't been able to keep him alive. My last try would be to use a
Locket of Dreams
Locket of Dreams
Amulet

Required Level: 100
Item Level: 105
+(2 to 3) to All Skills
+100 to Vitality
+(150 to 200) Life when Struck by an Enemy
25% Gold Find
+10 to Light Radius
on my merc to see if that helps. But most of the time he gets oneshot. I can keep him alive in Dunc, but he doesn't know how to avoid barrels. Also, the merc works fine with my neutraldin since I teleport around a lot.

A3 necrolyte stays alive the longest so far, then A2 shapeshifter, and the A5 mercs die the fastest, which is quite disappointing. I do not need my merc to do killing/farming, but it would be nice if a merc was actually any use in the game to use as a lightning rod to take off the heat a little bit for your own character.

Imma slap on a locket of dreams now and see how that fares.
Nevermore
Stygian Watcher
42 | 1
So after 2.0 patch is it worth to create any merc for farm Fautz,Dunc etc. ? I play melee Nec SP and want to kill demons with some friend. Any suggestions ? :)