Poison Whirlwind Barb; A Comprehensive Guide (with 135 uber gear)

Find a handful of guides and walkthroughs here!
magz_
Pit Knight
119 | 47
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
lovelydeny wrote:Anyone could show video about killing The Void for barbarian? I got stuck in this quest!

The void is not fully possible for this build (at least on my character) due to the gluttony DPS check. Maybe if you maxed hit dmg on WW, but otherwise it'd require a respec.
magz_
Pit Knight
119 | 47
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
lovelydeny wrote:
Muilpeer wrote:Okay, so I'm not able to do ascended riftwalker with this poison build. Anyone have some advice on maybe an alternative build that is great for that boss? Preferably one that is an easy switch?

Just use snake bite to kill riftwalker. Just need to reset the skill tree and create a Gehenna Runeworld. This build is really cheap, but i think we can't improve it much. We need to change to other build to kill Samael, Laz ... or farm in high labs

Laz is actually possible on this build. With about 19k HP I've gotten him down to about 50%. With some min-maxing of survivability and maybe some gear swaps I could get him down. I haven't attempted any of the bosses not listed (besides laz) but seeing as the goal was to get a good farming character for cheap I'd say we hit that.
zay
Jungle Hunter
29 | 0
I don't know if this was mentioned yet but you can take
Crown of the Black Rose
Crown of the Black Rose
Diadem (Sacred)

Defense: 870 to 983
Required Level: 110
Required Dexterity: 524
Item Level: 105
Orb Effects Applied to this Item are Doubled
+(2 to 3) to All Skills
+(20 to 30)% to Poison Spell Damage
-(10 to 15)% to Enemy Poison Resistance
+(14 to 20) to Black Lotus Strike
+(90 to 150) Life Regenerated per Second
Maximum Poison Resist +(2 to 3)%
(25 to 50)% Bonus to Defense
Cannot Be Frozen
Socketed (4)
instead of
Amanita
Amanita
Helms

'VenAmn'
Runeword Level: 100
3% Chance to cast level 1 Time Wave on Melee Attack
+(200 to 300) to Attack Rating
-(21 to 25)% to Enemy Poison Resistance
+(2 to 5) to Amatoxin
(3 to 5)% Chance of Crushing Blow
Attacker Flees after Striking 20%
+(115 to 143)% Enhanced Defense
+(30 to 50) to Vitality
Poison Resist +25%
since you already have a source of amatoxin from blacktongue, you loose a bit of pierce but you get some +all skills and can get up to 40% more poison spell damage compared to amanita
for the chest you can take
Scales of the Drake
Scales of the Drake
Ring Mail (Sacred)

Defense: (5239 - 5921) to (5764 - 6514)
Required Level: 100
Required Strength: 550
Item Level: 120
+(1 to 2) to All Skills
30% Cast Speed
+(25 to 38)% to Poison Spell Damage
-35% to Enemy Poison Resistance
+(14 to 18) to Lorenado
+(115 to 143)% Enhanced Defense
+300 to Life
Maximum Poison Resist +5%
Physical Resist (5 to 10)%
Socketed (6)
which gives +all skills, same pierce as
Scales of the Serpent
Scales of the Serpent
Gothic Plate (Sacred)

Defense: (7481 - 8308) to (9074 - 10078)
Required Strength: 675
15% Chance to cast level 40 Arachnomancy on Melee Attack
4% Chance to cast level 12 Time Strike on Striking
(31 to 40)% Hit Recovery
+90% Damage to Undead
Adds 200-300 Poison Damage over 2 seconds
-35% to Enemy Poison Resistance
5% Chance of Crushing Blow
Weapon Physical Damage +(25 to 30)%
+(144 to 171)% Enhanced Defense
+100 to Strength
+50 Life on Melee Attack
Socketed (6)
and poison spell damage which sots doesnt have, aswell as some phys resist and since you loose the additional poison damage source you don't need any shael runes and can just go full damage
you can also use
Shamanka
Shamanka
Long Staff (Sacred)

Two-Hand Damage: 56 to 58
Required Dexterity: 203
Dexterity Damage Bonus: (0.15 per Dexterity)%
+(3 to 6) to Sorceress Skill Levels
45% Cast Speed
45% Hit Recovery
+50% Damage to Undead
+(21 to 25)% to Fire Spell Damage
+(21 to 25)% to Cold Spell Damage
+(21 to 25)% to Poison Spell Damage
+(6 to 16) to Bloodlust
Maximum Life +(10 to 13)%
Fire Resist +(50 to 70)%
Lightning Resist +(50 to 70)%
Socketed (4)
on swap for additional spell damage after you pre buffed snake stance

and while it's not mandatory I think you should add thundergod in the list of skills to take depending on whether you have another source of stun attack since it's pretty useful against some enemies, good example is uldyssian's edyrems which hit pretty hard but don't have any stun reduction which leaves them stunned for 5+ seconds and basically turns them into free health refills

another thing that isn't mentioned at all in the OP is that you can use specialization and squeeze 5 extra base levels from snake stance, which is by far one of the biggest damage increases you can get, and pretty easily too
Edited by zay 2 years.
diakublo
Skeleton
2 | 0
Hello.

I was just very negatively surprised, I got a
Mithridatism
Mithridatism
Gloves

'VenOhm'
Gain 20% of your Poison Resistance as Poison Length Reduction
+1 to All Skills
25% Hit Recovery
Adds 300-400 Poison Damage over 2 seconds
-(7 to 10)% to Enemy Poison Resistance
+(141 to 171)% Enhanced Defense
+10 to all Attributes
Poison Resist +25%
together with the poison spell dmg from MO's (poisiondmg jewels +7% too) and unfortunately these cool looking gloves lowered my poison dmg by 50k. With my old
Featherclaw
I have 155k dmg and with the new ones I only have 103k.

I don't understand how this is possible. Does Attack Rating or Attack Speed affect spell dmg? :-] :-] :-]
Istaryu
Harpylisk
1441 | 58
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
diakublo wrote:Hello.

I was just very negatively surprised, I got a
Mithridatism
Mithridatism
Gloves

'VenOhm'
Gain 20% of your Poison Resistance as Poison Length Reduction
+1 to All Skills
25% Hit Recovery
Adds 300-400 Poison Damage over 2 seconds
-(7 to 10)% to Enemy Poison Resistance
+(141 to 171)% Enhanced Defense
+10 to all Attributes
Poison Resist +25%
together with the poison spell dmg from MO's (poisiondmg jewels +7% too) and unfortunately these cool looking gloves lowered my poison dmg by 50k. With my old
Featherclaw
I have 155k dmg and with the new ones I only have 103k.

I don't understand how this is possible. Does Attack Rating or Attack Speed affect spell dmg? :-] :-] :-]

The 2 second poison on that brings down your total poison duration, as it is averaged on your gear. And the character screen shows total damage done by an attack, it doesnt care about the dps of the poison.
diakublo
Skeleton
2 | 0
Istaryu wrote:The 2 second poison on that brings down your total poison duration, as it is averaged on your gear. And the character screen shows total damage done by an attack, it doesnt care about the dps of the poison.

If I understand correctly, these extra 2s extend the duration of the poison and thus reduce the dmg / sec. ? So I should have a maximum of one item with this option? I concluded this by removing the belt, which also has this option and gaining more dmg, but now I do not have a good belt ...

Sorry for my knowledge, but this is my first more serious character in d2.
Diaco
Void Archon
880 | 43
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
diakublo wrote:
Istaryu wrote:The 2 second poison on that brings down your total poison duration, as it is averaged on your gear. And the character screen shows total damage done by an attack, it doesnt care about the dps of the poison.

If I understand correctly, these extra 2s extend the duration of the poison and thus reduce the dmg / sec. ? So I should have a maximum of one item with this option? I concluded this by removing the belt, which also has this option and gaining more dmg, but now I do not have a good belt ...

Total poison duration gets divided by the amount of items with flat poison dmg. So with just one item with 2 sec, it basically adds 2 secs to your duration. If you have 2 items with 2 sec duration and you had 4 sec duration, that'd be 4+2+2= 8 / 2 (because two items) = 4 sec duration
Istaryu
Harpylisk
1441 | 58
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
diakublo wrote:

No, changing duration does not affect dps. If you add an item with poison dmg, it will always do more dps, since their dps (and not damage number) is added together. It is the duration that might change, and if it goes down, so does the total dmg done by your attack, most likely.
Muilpeer
Daystar
667 | 23
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Currently trying the double Blacktongue setup, managed to get the +10% spell damage roll on one of the swords (this isn't mentioned in the guide right?) and it seems/feels like it's doing more damage than when using a Demhe. Also, bigger splash damage and it procs a lot.

I tried everything, warcry, phys ww, ele, but this one buld really farms the smoothest. It has the biggest AoE of all builds and when correctly twinked, outdamages the other builds with ease as well. And it even allows some space for extra mo's.

Is there a reason why the 10% spell damage upgrade for the swords isn't mentioned? Or did I simply miss it.
zay
Jungle Hunter
29 | 0
Muilpeer wrote:Currently trying the double Blacktongue setup, managed to get the +10% spell damage roll on one of the swords (this isn't mentioned in the guide right?) and it seems/feels like it's doing more damage than when using a Demhe. Also, bigger splash damage and it procs a lot.

I tried everything, warcry, phys ww, ele, but this one buld really farms the smoothest. It has the biggest AoE of all builds and when correctly twinked, outdamages the other builds with ease as well. And it even allows some space for extra mo's.

Is there a reason why the 10% spell damage upgrade for the swords isn't mentioned? Or did I simply miss it.

yes double blacktongue is definitely the better option, getting an additional 14-20 points in amatoxin is a pretty good boost aswell as more %psn damage and you also have to account for the fact that dheme is a one handed weapon meaning you have less range on gale force and thus are less likely to get a high damage roll on more distant targets since you'll hit them less