Poison Whirlwind Barb; A Comprehensive Guide (with 135 uber gear)

Find a handful of guides and walkthroughs here!
Siosilvar
Cow Ninja
1220 | 263
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
nobrainnopain wrote:i have some effects with the calculated poison dmg i dont understand

blacktongue + destroying angel + arkaras robe with empty sockets -> 108 - 148 k

blacktongue + destroying angel + scales of the serpent -> 74 - 102 k

blacktongue + NO SHIELD + scales of the serpent -> 90 - 127 k

can this be true????

Yes.

If you have more than one item with +X poison damage over Y seconds, your poison's DPS goes up but your duration (and total damage) goes down.
Ruubel
Onyx Knight
636 | 12
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
A long story short - try to add pierce and spell damage and duration but keep for your poison damage only one source. Correct ?
nobrainnopain
Heretic
405 | 5
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
ok, but when i use Sherazade then the dmg increases .... and sherazade has also +psn dmg over 2 seconds

scales of serpent + destroying angel +600 psn over 2 sec +46% psn dmg -> max 102k dmg
scales of serpent + sherazade +400 psn dmg +21% psn dmg +3 skills -> mx 138k dmg
scales of serpent + sword with +3 skills -> mx 127k dmg

confused ......
Muilpeer
Daystar
667 | 23
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
nobrainnopain wrote:ok, but when i use Sherazade then the dmg increases .... and sherazade has also +psn dmg over 2 seconds

scales of serpent + destroying angel +600 psn over 2 sec +46% psn dmg -> max 102k dmg
scales of serpent + sherazade +400 psn dmg +21% psn dmg +3 skills -> mx 138k dmg

confused ......

I believe they are saying that you shouldn't look at your char sheet dmg alone, but that there are more factors coming into play. Which is why the sheet dmg may look higher, but actually be lower. Did you read the poison damage guide?

I have a question about the Ascended Riftwalker. I need to get the depleted riftstone to do labs but despite my poison ww barb being super strong in most areas, I am unable to kill this one. Is there a strong build for barb that can quickly deal with ascended riftwalker? I have tried it many times, read the strategies for it but it just doesn't take enough dmg and at one point I die.
JeppeAndersen
Rust Claw
82 | 0
What about enhanced weapon damage? Good or useless? I was thinking the colonel. Pretty crazy amount of EWD. And what about the CTC snakebite? Anyone knows what the snake bite does?
Siosilvar
Cow Ninja
1220 | 263
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
nobrainnopain wrote:ok, but when i use Sherazade then the dmg increases .... and sherazade has also +psn dmg over 2 seconds

confused ......

I don't see why that's confusing... you've got 3 different things influencing your damage, of course adding more will change it.

More X damage over 2 seconds will increase your DPS but reduce your duration. +skills will increase your DPS. Spell damage will increase your sheet numbers and WW hit DPS, but doesn't actually affect Gale Force or other weapon damage procs. Sherazade probably just has enough of the other stats to overcome the duration you lose.

Page 1 shows something that approximates your total damage per hit; it often gets the calculation wrong but it should be a reasonable comparison for WW hits if you remember it doesn't include pierce (which give your more DPS and makes your duration longer).

Page 2 and d2stats should both show an accurate DPS number, but again before pierce and they don't try to figure out the duration or total damage.

If you want the true numbers you'll have to do all the math yourself.

JeppeAndersen wrote:What about enhanced weapon damage? Good or useless? I was thinking the colonel. Pretty crazy amount of EWD. And what about the CTC snakebite? Anyone knows what the snake bite does?

EWD only increases your physical damage. Not particularly useful when building this way, I'd think.

Snakebite is a single projectile, not that great for clearing. On single targets it should be higher DPS than Snake Stance; they won't stack, though.

Ruubel wrote:A long story short - try to add pierce and spell damage and duration but keep for your poison damage only one source. Correct ?

Yes. Pierce and +skills are good enough that your total damage will probably still go up, but if you can get them without X over Y seconds then they're even better.
Muilpeer
Daystar
667 | 23
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Okay, so I'm not able to do ascended riftwalker with this poison build. Anyone have some advice on maybe an alternative build that is great for that boss? Preferably one that is an easy switch?
frozsoul
Cultist
24 | 3
Muilpeer wrote:Okay, so I'm not able to do ascended riftwalker with this poison build. Anyone have some advice on maybe an alternative build that is great for that boss? Preferably one that is an easy switch?

I think you don't need to switch, just stick with the build and improve your char as much as you can. I'm playing this build and I'm able to kill it. Yes the boss is pain, it's not easy at all and you can not kill it super quick like some other builds (they invest a lot though, no naked builds can do that in my opinion), but it's doable.
lovelydeny
Invader
8 | 0
Muilpeer wrote:Okay, so I'm not able to do ascended riftwalker with this poison build. Anyone have some advice on maybe an alternative build that is great for that boss? Preferably one that is an easy switch?

Just use snake bite to kill riftwalker. Just need to reset the skill tree and create a Gehenna Runeworld. This build is really cheap, but i think we can't improve it much. We need to change to other build to kill Samael, Laz ... or farm in high labs
Muilpeer
Daystar
667 | 23
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
frozsoul wrote:

I think you don't need to switch, just stick with the build and improve your char as much as you can. I'm playing this build and I'm able to kill it. Yes the boss is pain, it's not easy at all and you can not kill it super quick like some other builds (they invest a lot though, no naked builds can do that in my opinion), but it's doable.

Wellll, I have a lvl 140 Barb with most of the gear maxed out. There's one MF outfit, and then there's the pure dmg outfit. I have not been able to make it work with either of the outfits sadly.

lovelydeny wrote:

Just use snake bite to kill riftwalker. Just need to reset the skill tree and create a Gehenna Runeworld. This build is really cheap, but i think we can't improve it much. We need to change to other build to kill Samael, Laz ... or farm in high labs

I don't mind going non-poison is what I meant with an alternative build. Imagine going regular WW barb, or summoner, or something else. I don't mind the unorthodox. But I just want to be able to get my own depleted riftstone plus make sure to make a charm with better stats than what I have now :)

There's also a lvl 136 neutraldin pally and a lvl 131 totemmancer necro in my account, so if those are much better to do it with, I'm open to suggestions for those as well.