Poison Whirlwind Barb; A Comprehensive Guide (with 135 uber gear)

Find a handful of guides and walkthroughs here!
Bljadzon
Abomination
145 | 6
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Ruubel wrote:Due to high str demands for gear - maxing mountain king is a must.

I have 15 points in there. I have around 100 points in Strength, which I don't mind. I mentioned that there is a slight decline in tankiness, but damage numbers go up real high.
Ruubel wrote:And I think this guide owes to us an explanation - why to craft psn spell dmg everywhere ? Snake stance is a buff and is not affected bu spell damage and amatoxin is a flat psn damage, not a spell ! Yet.... there are whispers.... its an old d2 engine mechanics - spell damage affects direct hitting elemtal damage ( not passive ele buffs !! ) And amatoxin is a direct hitting psn ele damage.

Rotting the flesh proc is what? A spell ?

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=186 :
% spell damage also works with passive elemental damage sources, but only on direct melee hits.

Passive elemental damage sources include items and skills that add some sort of elemental damage to your weapon attacks, but do not allow you to attack anything with the skills themselves. Flat elemental damage added to wdm skills by the skill itself also fall on this category.

:arrow: Examples: Snake Stance, Plague, Curare, Way of the Phoenix, Kraken Stance.
Siosilvar
Cow Ninja
1220 | 263
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
Ruubel wrote:Due to high str demands for gear - maxing mountain king is a must.

And I think this guide owes to us an explanation - why to craft psn spell dmg everywhere ? Snake stance is a buff and is not affected bu spell damage and amatoxin is a flat psn damage, not a spell ! Yet.... there are whispers.... its an old d2 engine mechanics - spell damage affects direct hitting elemtal damage ( not passive ele buffs !! ) And amatoxin is a direct hitting psn ele damage.

Rotting the flesh proc is what? A spell ?

Not really whispers. Whirlwind is a direct melee hit that gets spell damage, and Rotting Flesh/Infected Roots from the weapons are spells in their own right.

Gale Force and other WDM procs like Devastation don't get it, so if you go that route you probably want to skip the spell damage because the build is fairly unimpressive for bossing anyway.
Splargh
Grubber
320 | 13
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
the "Stun Attack" modifier is neat for this build. Stun attack hinders hit enemies from hitting you back, making wwing through dense enemy packs almost risk-free. It is especially helpful when you are lacking life on hit.

There is no drawback to having stun attack on poison ww barb, since you really only need to hit enemies once (unlike phys ww, where you aim to multihit enemies as much as possible and them being stunned is counter productive)

It is easy to get in early game from Steel Golem / Dragon Tail TUs or Truce RW for example, too.
In endgame you can get it from Demhe (or keep using Truce as belt).

Shame it doesn't work in labs
Muilpeer
Daystar
667 | 23
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Almost lvl 140 now, still phys WW barb. Good mf, but haven't found a Blacktongue or a Lew yet. Haven't found that many enchanted runes yet anyway.

For now I'll stay phys and hope a blacktongue or Lew falls into my lap. Already have an ethereal Flail waiting in my stash with very high AR% and good dmg. Wyrd set is now complete and I found some other nice things, like a Witchcraft ring and some more stuff. Anyway, let's hope either a blacktongue of Lew drops soon! Can't wait to make the switch to Poison WW again.

I do not expect this build to be as good when I only have SotS, Wyrd set and either Amanita helm or Warmonger helm.

Edit:
Been walking some poison build now with mostly complete setup but mediocre weapons.

Found one Blacktongue for trade, and added a shrinecrafted Crystal sword with Lifespark AND Mark of the Wild. When MOTW gets triggered it adds around 10k poison dmg:
Without MOTW:

With MOTW:

Not sure whats the best combo yet, now gonna try a different one which procs spike nova to see if that spreads more poison. Maybe one with Life spark and Mythal would be the best? I'm out of shimmering shrines so that's a bummer. Hoping to find a Lew soon!
rongphale
Sasquatch
68 | 0
what if i wear both 2 Scales of the Serpent and Mithridatism, I see it increases a lot of damage.
rongphale
Sasquatch
68 | 0
Ruubel
Onyx Knight
636 | 12
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
I decided to add to
Raptor

Raptor
Throwing Axes

'ZodSurLemEl'
Runeword Level: 85
(Barbarian Only)
3% Chance to cast level 60 Thunder Slam on Kill
-19% to Enemy Poison Resistance
+(6 to 11) to Snake Stance (Barbarian Only)
+3 to all Attributes
5% to Vitality
Maximum Life +3%
Regenerate Mana +15%
+115 Life after each Kill
+10% psn dmg MO-s, not sure whether it counts or not for buffing.
Siosilvar
Cow Ninja
1220 | 263
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
Ruubel wrote:I decided to add to
Raptor

Raptor
Throwing Axes

'ZodSurLemEl'
(Barbarian Only)
+3 to all Attributes
5% to Vitality
Maximum Life +3%
Regenerate Mana +15%

unlike clod enchant, it only applies on hit, not when you buff

rongphale wrote:what if i wear both 2 Scales of the Serpent and Mithridatism, I see it increases a lot of damage.

your weapon poison duration will be shorter but it might still be worth it for the extra pierce, especially if you use spell procs from blacktongue or demhe instead of the devastation proc
rongphale
Sasquatch
68 | 0
Siosilvar wrote:
Raptor

Raptor
Throwing Axes

'ZodSurLemEl'
(Barbarian Only)
+3 to all Attributes
5% to Vitality
Maximum Life +3%
Regenerate Mana +15%

rongphale wrote:what if i wear both 2 Scales of the Serpent and Mithridatism, I see it increases a lot of damage.

your weapon poison duration will be shorter but it might still be worth it for the extra pierce, especially if you use spell procs from blacktongue or demhe instead of the devastation proc

so can i wear both at the same time
Muilpeer
Daystar
667 | 23
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Siosilvar wrote:
Raptor

Raptor
Throwing Axes

'ZodSurLemEl'
(Barbarian Only)
+3 to all Attributes
5% to Vitality
Maximum Life +3%
Regenerate Mana +15%

So two items with flat poison dmg doesn't matter in this case?

Also, I think that any pierce over -170 doesn't add any benefits right? So then it would be better to go for PSD.

I'm already way over the pierce limit of 170 without any Ven/Poi runes, so I decided to purely focus on getting more PSD. And because I use SotS I decided to use memory, but your reply confused me. In which case should I combine Sots and Mithridatism?