Starter Tier List for Season 35

Find a handful of guides and walkthroughs here!
fuppy
Cog
224 | 94
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
Season 35 starter tier list (patch 2.7)

To carry on the torch for Seekers' 1.8 starter tier list (found here), I'm making my own. Mine will differ from his, because pre-2.0 it was fine to consider 120 as roughly the relevant endgame. I will be extending that a little by making the initial ratings for Fauztinville, but also giving a Scosglen viability rating with a little bit more investment to the build you're playing.

The TL;DR version that gives no explanation behind every build can be found here. Do note that these overall ratings do not match the tiers below 1:1, as I spread them out with more leveling emphasis than the overall rating depicts.

Introduction
Quick Tier List
In-depth
Credits

Introduction
The overall tiers are made by considering a few different criteria:
- Farming up to 125 rifts with below 200tg investment into the build overall
- Bossing (singletarget damage) with below 200tg investment into the build overall
- Survivability with below 200tg investment into the build overall
- Leveling with the gear you find along the way

Additional ratings will be given in the build specific descriptions, that aren't included in the overall rating: Solo self found (SSF) and Scosglen farming. Scosglen considers an okay farm speed to be around 25 minutes with 300-500tg investment. Link to these ratings under

TIER 1 builds are fast and comfortable, perfect starters. They can possibly run even Fauztinville with just TU/early RW
TIER 2 builds are good starters that need a bit more investment to get closer to the tier 1 builds
TIER 3 builds are the average builds, that might need full set or at least one sacred unique to properly function
TIER 4 builds are below average, generally needing much more than previous tier
TIER 5 builds are hopeless, can only salvage them with relics or UMOs

First 2 tiers should be able to content up to 125 without needing a full set or a specific sacred unique. Getting those might help immensely, but generally skills/passives give enough damage and survivability to make it that far.

Disclaimers
Firstly, these ratings are highly subjective and the context for them varies within very specific criteria. They are peer-reviewed ratings from more experienced players and are given the "starter" treatment, which means less investment than your typical experienced player puts into them.

Secondly, some builds are left out. By default, only relevant trees and oskills with guides/showcases are mentioned here. Also possible they are just outside of the criteria, i.e. might need a rare runeword or sacred unique to function.

Thirdly, your mileage may vary. As with most guides, it is assumed you are somewhat familiar with Diablo 2 or other ARPGs. Previous Median experience is not required. If you plan to avoid trading with other players, I highly suggest you look at the SSF-rating in the in-depth section before making a decision.

Quick Tier List
Order is random within tiers. Build wrapped in [] (square brackets) dictates oskill builds that might not be able to level as that skill. * means nuance where the build becomes significantly better with an oskill later on, for example when you can shrinecraft an item with the oskill. ** means harder oskill access, either through 1 specific unique, set item or enchanted runeword. !!! means this build gets the free set from Mirror Temple.

TIER 1
Bow/Physical Amazon, Blood/Fire Amazon*, Blood/Magic Missiles Amazon, Storm/Hammer Amazon, Storm/Caster Amazon, Claw Assassin**, Psionic Assassin, Earthquake Barbarian, Warmonger/Elemental Barbarian, Warmonger/Physical Barbarian, Werewolf Druid, Poison Druid, Summoner Necromancer, Unholy Melee Paladin!!!, Melee Sorceress, Lightning Sorceress

TIER 2
Javelin Amazon, Spear Amazon, Naginata Assassin, Throwing/Scorpion Blade Assassin, Trap Assassin, Elementalist Barb!!!, Warmonger/Poison Barbarian, Whirlwind/Poison Barbarian, Summon Barbarian, Seer/Fire Druid!!!, Werebear/Physical Druid, Werebear/Fire Druid, Wereowl Druid, Bow Druid, Crossbow/Fire Necromancer, Crossbow/Physical Necromancer, Melee Necromancer!!!, Totem Necromancer, Holy Caster Paladin, Holy Melee Paladin**, Neutral Paladin, Unholy Caster Paladin*, [Rising Dawn Paladin], Arcane Sorceress, Cold Sorceress, Fire Sorceress!!!

TIER 3
Throwing/Maelstrom, Whirlwind/Physical Barbarian, [War Cry Barbarian], Malice Necromancer, Seer/Cold Druid**!!!, Poison Sorceress

TIER 4
[Orb of Annihilation Necromancer]

TIER 5
None

In-depth

The ratings have been given for a few different categories and can be viewed here. Do note that the overall rating does not match the tier 1:1, as the above tiers were given with more emphasis on the leveling. Sheet only calculates the overall rating based on the first 4 ratings given equally.

Amazon
Blood/Fire: Eldritch storm good farming skill, lava pit serviceable bossing skill. Can use fire oskills to get better singletarget. Regen, PR, tanky minions. Winner of 2.4 reworks. Guide
Bow/Physical: Even better farmer than 2.4, since damage was increased and enemy resistances lowered. Got a new bow base to play around with. Guide
Storm/Hammer: Probably the best amazon leveling build to 120-125. You get a lot of damage from your passives and don't need that much gear to break into some midgame ubers because of that. Guide needed.
Storm/Caster: Absolutely bonkers singletarget, with good farming once you get okay gear. Very glasscannony and popular, so might be expensive to play after midgame. Miniguide
Javelin: Medium investment jack of all trades, master of none. Very tanky and okay defenses for harder content, but not AFK tanky like unholy melee. Competes for expensive gear with other builds. Guide
Blood/Magic Missiles: Jack of all trades, master of none. Good farmer, but damage is autohoming and delayed, which isn't always optimal. Guide needed.
Spear: Medium-to-high investment character than can farm at good speeds. Very tanky, but sometimes mechanically clunky for singletarget. Guide needed.

Assassin
Claw: Fastest assassin leveling build. You can go up to 130 with fairly basic gear. You have the best of all defenses that assassin gets, although they might not be enough to AFK in the middle of mobs. Guide
Psionic: A great starter. Mind Ripple has a conversion mechanic that some might not enjoy, but they do work like reanimates that tank for you. Psionic storm also a variant of the build that has an interesting scaling: only skill levels and amount of total energy matter, nothing else. Guide
Naginata: The build that's known as piano sin. It's not so much playing a piano nowadays, but some playstyles requires maintaining your innate to do damage. Very good leveler and one of the best endgame builds. Guide
Throwing/Scorpion Blade: One of the best all-arounders. Lategame you can invest into vitality, and with assassin defense layers, you are very tanky but also deal good damage. Showcase.
Trap: Tankiness lowered a little, big damage buff to storm trap. Means we don't need catalyst anymore to clear but our singletarget is much better off with it still. Guide
Throwing/Maelstrom: I only say one skill here but it's actually 2. You sometimes need to use Wychwind for stationary targets and Maelstrom for everything else. Guide needed.

Barbarian
Earthquake: Best barbarian leveling build. Slap on TU Balanced Axe + Gilded Shield and go ham until 110, if not more. Falls off at Fauztinville. Guide
Warmonger/Elemental: Elemental variant of the reworked throwbarb. Guide needed
Warmonger/Physical: Physical variant of the reworked throwbarb. Guide
Warmonger/Poison: Poison variant of the reworked throwbarb. Guide needed
Whirlwind/Poison: A very good starter since you don't need much to do fast farming. Bossing is a weakness of this build, like most other poison builds, but Demhe RW can help with that in 2.4. Guide
Elementalist: Tanky melee that stacks stats and does rainbow elemental damage. Farming can be janky since Primordial Strike damage depends on positioning. Good bosser. Earlygame Guide Lategame Guide
Summon: Second best barbarian leveling. Doesn't need much to get going and can get to hell with low investment, even do some early ubers. Loves farming Teganze. Guide
Whirlwind/Physical: Gale Force was buffed big time, but doesn't fix all of the issues (mainly singletarget). Guide
War Cry: Oskill build that shouts to kill enemies. Probably turn off sound if you're going to play this for long periods of time. One of the best budget farmers that can get 500mf without compromising on damage/survivability too much. Loves the shrine reroll in 2.4. Guide

Druid
Werewolf: Still a solid starter with the flat value increase on skills AND 600% EWD from hunter tree. Guide
Poison: Poison caster druid. A new farming skill and infected roots now singletarget. New set, should be great. Likely a good starter, but struggles with poison mechanics and survivability, since poison doesn't instantly kill enemies and you're kinda squishy. Guide needed.
Bow: Heartseeker fixed! Bear cooldown reduced! Guide
Werebear/Physical: Strong starter since it's really tanky and good bosser, but farming is not that great in dense areas and there is no salvaging that. Feral IAS mechanic was removed in 2.1 (attack speed on weapon more important than anything) and it now mostly plays like any other attack build. Guide doesn't reflect this change, so be wary. Guide
Werebear/Fire: Can use Armageddon from Seer-tree and melee devotion. Super tanky, good clear and nice singletarget. Guide needed.
Wereowl: Medium-to-high investment with average output. Somewhat tanky too, has a better farming toolkit than bear. Guide
Seer/Cold: Cold caster druid, hunting banshee for singletarget, avalanche for clear. Pay attention to what Avalanche requires. Showcase
Seer/Fire: Ember Spirit not abusable with Banish anymore, but it's better off against singletarget without it. Guide needed.

Necromancer
Summoner: Free set from Mirror Temple! Satanic Mantra for farming, Archbishop Lazarus set for bossing. Double Veil Kings really good bossing. Guide
Totem: No more meat shields. Good farmer still, one of the best. Playstyle can be boring, since all you do is blink around and stuff dies around you. Guide
Crossbow/Fire: Only thing missing is movespeed. Guide needed.
Crossbow/Physical: Necromancer's version of Jack of All Trades, Master of None. Guide needed.
Melee: Good singletarget, below average farming toolkit. You can get some good oskills to farm, mostly through relics. Very tanky. Guide
Malice: Okay bosser but farming toolkit is below average. A solid starter for new season. Guide
Orb of Annihilation: A fun oskill that shoots an orb that autotargets piercing light at everything. High mana cost, scales only from +skill levels pretty much. Guide

Paladin
Ritualist: One of the best SSF starters. Can go either Blood Thorns or Lemures. They act a bit different, but gear is mostly the same. For more specifics, look up the respective guides. Blood Thorns Lemures Both
Nephalem: The lazy farming option. Just run past everything, throw your noodle at them if they don't die. Guide
Incarnation: Big buff to Dragon Jaws and Annhilation scaling, which means early and migame are a lot more comfortable. Guide
Templar: Holy melee, a solid starter, good singletarget, decent clear. Not high gear requirement and somewhat tanky. Guide
Warlock: Unholy caster, a really solid build and has a great oskill option for farming, if Mind Flay doesn't cut it (Chaotic Spark oskill). A bit glasscannony, but damage is there with proper gear. Guide
Rising Dawn: One of the oskill staples in Sigma. Paladin has good support for this type of play. Guide

Sorceress
Lightning: Good farmer, as close to 0 cooldown teleport as you can get in Median. Okay bossing and good farming toolkit. Guide
Melee: Slight nerfs to a very strong character. Guide
Arcane: Damage cap increased! Arcane torrent buffed! Guide
Cold: Battlemage playstyle, where you can use melee devotion and still use your spells (but not ice elementals). Not the tankiest, but solid starter. Guide
Fire: Very good farmer with Habacalva's or Holy Wars (SU/SSU Eagle Orb). Good boss damage, and access to good fire oskills for better farming and singletarget. Showcase
Poison: Good farming and okay-ish bossing capabilities. Sorceress runewords really strong for this build. Guide

Changelog

► Show Spoiler

Credits
Seekers for help with formatting and NotCube for coming up with it.
midknight, Lynderika, NotCube, Ben- for helping with the tier list.
Guide creators for making builds easier for people.
Median XL developers for amazing patches every season.

:bounce:
Apache
Skeleton
3 | 0
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Pog
berry117
Dark Wanderer
797 | 78
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Showcase Badge
Median XL Broadcaster
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Bow ama should be tier 5
With ~200tg invested bowzone is no tier 1 farmer
With ~200tg invested bowzon will not do fauzt.
Having bowzon overall a 2.5 with 200tg invested seems very generous.

Bowzon leveling is hell.
Survivability is hell until heavily invested in su/ssu and life leach....amounts above 200tg

Idk who gives bowzon feedback but idk if we're even playing the same class sometimes.

Also sorry if this comes off as unappreciative of your list, you have obviously put a lot of hard work and time into this, and i appreciate that and am very grateful.

I just strongly disagree about bow Amazon and am very passionate about her.
Desperx
Thunder Beetle
59 | 4
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
berry117 wrote:Bow ama should be tier 5

Bowzon leveling is hell.
Survivability is hell until heavily invested in su/ssu and life leach....amounts above 200tg

Idk who gives bowzon feedback but idk if we're even playing the same class sometimes.

Also sorry if this comes off as unappreciative of your list, you have obviously put a lot of hard work and time into this, and i appreciate that and am very grateful.

I did tested plenty of classes up to fautz and some in scoglen and I gave feedback for bowzon that she is too weak in comparison to other and even with more expensive gear. My whole feedback was ignored not only on bowzon.
CircaG
Balrog
131 | 4
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Great tier list! Thanks so much for the time into this.

I think Bow druid should now be Tier 2 at least (I know we have to test it first though).
In your bow druid list, you say to level fire bow, but the guide you posted shows the opposite (starts phys, goes fire).

I plan to end with phys because of the ED buff, but would be interested in hearing other opinions on best way to level bow.

Edit: I noticed in the top, you put Hunter druid in Tier 2. In the druid list, you put his color as green (tier 3/4). Just wanted to let you know!
fr0gbug
Rust Claw
81 | 6
CircaG wrote:Great tier list! Thanks so much for the time into this.

I think Bow druid should now be Tier 2 at least (I know we have to test it first though).
In your bow druid list, you say to level fire bow, but the guide you posted shows the opposite (starts phys, goes fire).

I plan to end with phys because of the ED buff, but would be interested in hearing other opinions on best way to level bow.

Edit: I noticed in the top, you put Hunter druid in Tier 2. In the druid list, you put his color as green (tier 3/4). Just wanted to let you know!

Bow dudu guide is from 1.8, a bit outdated. As far as the phys vs fire question, if phys bow dudu was viable, why did it need a 750% EWD steroid injection? Post buff all I can say is, well, at least phys can leech :/
Hyperstimulated
Jungle Hunter
25 | 0
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
you have cold UHM listed as a caster in the spreadsheet
Deathbringer
Sasquatch
66 | 2
berry117 wrote:Bow ama should be tier 5

Bowzon leveling is hell.

this so much, bowzon should be unlisted tier
SyphX
Invader
8 | 1
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Nice job. Detailed well thought tier list. Im glad that you included secret assa build :) The change to get that oskill to claws looks great on paper and I will try to start assa to get that, tho I'm terrified of rolling those weapons -.-
Cah23
Grubber
321 | 2
Great quality post. Much appreciation for the effort put in to it. I’ll be basing my build choice this season in large part of this list.