Unholy Caster Paladin (Warlock)

Find a handful of guides and walkthroughs here!
Captcha
Mangler
486 | 26
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Thanks for the guide, really good - especially that you've done a lot of testing of what actually works best.

I thought I was done with this mod, but I noticed the patch and decided to try the new poison druid, which was... ok. When it hit 120 I couldn't see myself playing harder content using mostly a small aoe single target spell, so I then tried bloodzon but I wasn't that impressed with it tbh and then I saw your guide appear...

Warlock was the build I enjoyed early on in my time in MXL but it hasn't felt good for some time, so when you said it was now very playable all the way through the game I thought "Hey, may as well give it a go". I was a bit sceptical, since the patch notes don't seem to have changed paladin at all (has something changed in the game in general to make this build better?), but I'm glad I tried it because it is a good fun character to play. I'm surprised this guide didn't get more attention, especially when you've farmed everywhere and done bosses including Samael.

I followed your advice and played in TU2 all the way through to hell and up to the point where I could buy/equip the set. I prioritised Stormlord to do that. There were only a couple of slightly flat spots in levelling and the set made it easier again. Currently about to hit 120, no problems so far.

Good work, have an upvote :D :thumb:
Lynderika
Grubber
315 | 160
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
Captcha wrote:Thanks for the guide, really good - especially that you've done a lot of testing of what actually works best.

I thought I was done with this mod, but I noticed the patch and decided to try the new poison druid, which was... ok. When it hit 120 I couldn't see myself playing harder content using mostly a small aoe single target spell, so I then tried bloodzon but I wasn't that impressed with it tbh and then I saw your guide appear...

Warlock was the build I enjoyed early on in my time in MXL but it hasn't felt good for some time, so when you said it was now very playable all the way through the game I thought "Hey, may as well give it a go". I was a bit sceptical, since the patch notes don't seem to have changed paladin at all (has something changed in the game in general to make this build better?), but I'm glad I tried it because it is a good fun character to play. I'm surprised this guide didn't get more attention, especially when you've farmed everywhere and done bosses including Samael.

I followed your advice and played in TU2 all the way through to hell and up to the point where I could buy/equip the set. I prioritised Stormlord to do that. There were only a couple of slightly flat spots in levelling and the set made it easier again. Currently about to hit 120, no problems so far.

Good work, have an upvote :D :thumb:

Happy you like it ! The set should make all the way through to scosglen pretty easy, just make sure to have enough pierce on other gear slots with good crafts.

2.2 made the apparition of Chaotic Spark, and 2.4 gave easier access to ornates shrines with fauzt and made the very amazing
Eternal Vigil
Eternal Vigil
War Sword (Sacred)

One-Hand Damage: 46 to 50
Required Level: 100
Required Strength:
Item Level: 120
Strength Damage Bonus: (0.11 per Strength)%
4% Chance to cast level 53 Glacial Nova on Death Blow
4% Chance to cast level 53 Supernova on Death Blow
+(3 to 4) to All Skills
+200 Spell Focus
+(31 to 40)% to Spell Damage
-(28 to 35)% to Enemy Elemental Resistances
+(200 to 250) to Mana
Requirements +100%
Socketed (3)
give lightning pierce, which help sam and labs a lot, without it the build would have a bit of a pierce issue in there. But I think everything else is the same since 2.0, and the build just went unnoticed
► Show Spoiler

I personally tried just because I liked the gameplay, it was a pure coincidence that it also ended good for the whole game.
Captcha
Mangler
486 | 26
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
By the way, how does
Memory

Memory
Gloves

'IgnVenFulGla'
Runeword Level: 100
+1 to All Skills
+(40 to 50) Spell Focus
10% Cast Speed
+(8 to 10)% to Spell Damage
-11% to Enemy Elemental Resistances
+150 Life Regenerated per Second
stack up as a possible glove for this build, compared to a craft or the
Lamha Na Draoithe
Lamha Na Draoithe
Gauntlets (Sacred)

Defense: (1339 - 1506) to (1567 - 1763)
Required Strength: 625
+2 to All Skills
+150 Spell Focus
30% Cast Speed
+(16 to 20)% to Spell Damage
+(140 to 170)% Enhanced Defense
+75 to Strength
-100 to Life
Elemental Resists +15%
Socketed (4)
mentioned in the guide?
cowking
Son of Lucion
715 | 81
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Captcha wrote:By the way, how does
Memory

Memory
Gloves

'IgnVenFulGla'
Runeword Level: 100
+1 to All Skills
+(40 to 50) Spell Focus
10% Cast Speed
+(8 to 10)% to Spell Damage
-11% to Enemy Elemental Resistances
+150 Life Regenerated per Second
stack up as a possible glove for this build, compared to a craft or the
Lamha Na Draoithe
Lamha Na Draoithe
Gauntlets (Sacred)

Defense: (1339 - 1506) to (1567 - 1763)
Required Strength: 625
+2 to All Skills
+150 Spell Focus
30% Cast Speed
+(16 to 20)% to Spell Damage
+(140 to 170)% Enhanced Defense
+75 to Strength
-100 to Life
Elemental Resists +15%
Socketed (4)
mentioned in the guide?

That runeword shouldn't even exist. Keep in mind you lose 4x sockets (which could be 4x lotteried farsight globes to understand just how bad they are).
Lynderika
Grubber
315 | 160
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Guide Badge
Memory isn't bad per see, I don't recommand it mostly because I'm a teganze hater. I'd rather craft something than make the number of essence and runes I have to farm from 20 to 28 :mrgreen:
But also yeah, a craft will very easily have more pierce and spell damage than Memory. Even if you craft something simple without spell focus like I did, it'll be compensated with the open sockets. Then memory only gain is the +1sk and the regen, which is fine enough... But I'd rather focus on pierce.
Alternatively, Lamha are the thing you get later in the game when the rest of the gear cover pierce, and memory don't even begin to compare to the damage boost theses are.
Captcha
Mangler
486 | 26
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Which cycles / essences did you use on the Umbaru and Corrupted Wormhole? I'm guessing Vit if you've already reached the energy breakpoint you want - otherwise (obviously) energy.

It's not obvious which essences give which bonuses, either in the docs or on the item's tooltip.
Lynderika
Grubber
315 | 160
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Guide Badge
Captcha wrote:Which cycles / essences did you use on the Umbaru and Corrupted Wormhole? I'm guessing Vit if you've already reached the energy breakpoint you want - otherwise (obviously) energy.

It's not obvious which essences give which bonuses, either in the docs or on the item's tooltip.

Essences or runestones are all the same, they roll randomely. You just hope for good energy and vit.
As for the wormhole, you can use a mix of ene/vit/mf/life whatever at first, but in the long run the best is by far one with only medium and Large vitality.
nikulo
Sasquatch
65 | 1
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
why do u put points into ward of fate, servants of valor and conclave`?

just trying out the build and having a lot of fun, thanks for the guide :D:D
Lynderika
Grubber
315 | 160
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Guide Badge
nikulo wrote:why do u put points into ward of fate, servants of valor and conclave`?

just trying out the build and having a lot of fun, thanks for the guide :D:D

Hello
Servent of valors are nice baits, you often see me using them against bosses, in labs, to bait scoglen sapling gards poison, and quite a few others situations. I did not take them while leveling because I forgot, but even in nightmare they start being useful to be safer against dangerous mobs like Corpulants or some archers. Simply put, they can tank while you're safe from afar, sniping with mindflay. Conclave just help them be tankier, and ward of fate is a prerequite. But the point is not to make them tanky or anything with minions stats, just to spam them or let them bait for a very short time when it's useful.
Holy1Holy
Banned
533 | 1
Legendary Supporter Badge
Donated 25 times
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
i do enjoy your guide and this is my favorite build of all time. But, i do wish there were a little bit more specific bits of data in certain areas, to truly maximize the build.