Tri - Elemental Melee Sorceress

Find a handful of guides and walkthroughs here!
Dru
Grubber
338 | 23
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions

Quick Links
Walkthrough Breakpoints Stat Points Pierce Early Game Mid Game End Game Ubers

ProgressionLevel 1 - 20 : These levels are fairly simple, you can literally walk through act 1 and obtain level 20 at the end of Andariel.
Level 20 - 40 : For quick progression, run through Sewers or Ancient Tunnels in Act 2.
Level 40 - 60 : Around this level you wanna kill Mephisto and start creating your Tiered Uniques. Then run act 5 Frigid to obtain level 60.
Level 60 - 80 : You should just continue through Nightmare and unlock Hell.
Level 80 - 105 : Generally speaking you wanna be LVL 100 once you reach Act 1 Hell. Your main goal is reaching level 105 by the end of Act 5 hell.
Level 105 - 110 : Sunless Sea
Level 110 - 115 : Cows / Torajan Jungles
Level 115 - 120 : K3K
Level 120 - 125 : Duncraig / Teganze
Level 125 - 140 : Fauzt / Viz Jun / Triune
Level 140 - 145 : Scosglen
Level 145 - 150 : Rifting

Stat Points
Strength: Enough for gear
Dexterity : Dump everything here
Vitality : None
Energy : None

Pierce
Hell : 135%
Bosses : 175%
Special Bosses : 199%

- Enemy res in Normal starts at 0 and doesn’t increase even for bosses.
- Enemy res in Nightmare is 0 for phys/mag, 15% elemental resists
- Enemy res in Hell is 0 phys/mag, 35% elemental resists
* Bosses in destruction have 35% phys/mag res, 75% elemental resists.
- So to bring a boss to -100% res in destruction you would need 175 pierce.

Innate Elemental Damage
Innate Elemental Damage is easily explained by simply looking at your Mainhand Weapon. Innate Elemental Damage is capped at 100%, I believe. For example, let's say your weapon says Innate Elemental Damage based off Dexterity. If you cap your Innate Elemental Damage to 100% you will be converting 100% of your Dexterity into Tri Elemental Damage, this is possible by using a Warp Blade aka Starhawk during Late Game Progression. By converting 100% of your Dexterity into Innate Elemental Damage you can now Scale higher damage, simply by placing more points into Dexterity. Reaching 4,000 Dexterity is ideal for this build to work. So the more Dex you have the greater your Innate Elemental Damage will increase. Throughout early leveling stages you are using a Crystal Sword so in which case, you will be converting 100% Dexterity into Innate Cold Damage instead. It's not til later in the game you start utilizing Innate Elemental Damage during min/maxing stages. In a brief summary, Innate Elemental Damage scales off your Attributes.

- Mid Game Topic : The point of stacking Tri Ele Damage during Mid Game Progression is because Fire and Lightning Damage are Converted into Cold Damage, thanks to the Passive Cold Blooded

Block Chance
In Median XL, your base chance to block depends on character class:

Amazon, Assassin, Druid, Sorceress: 3%
Necromancer, Paladin: 1%
Barbarian: 0%
Shields have 0% chance to block, except class-specific shields – which provide +1% extra chance to block.

The block rating is boosted by dexterity as follows:

Chance to Block = Block% * (Dexterity - 15) / 2 * Character_Level
Capped at 50% chance to block (can be increased up to 80%), by using Fusillade increasing Max Block Chance by 30%.

DEX needed per +x% Increased Base Block Chance for a clvl 145 Sorc to hit Max Block:
+0% = 5820 DEX
+1% = 4660 DEX
+2% = 3885 DEX

Procs
In this builds we will be using two sources of procs to help clear. Let's go over what a Proc means, There are many variety of procs expanding from Lightning to Fire to Cold to Poison damage procs. You can gain a proc on certain items in the game and have a chance to cast %. You can simply increase your CTC% by stacking multiple items or procs with the same CTC %. However, when stacking multiple items with the same Proc Chance the only thing that increases is Chance to cast not the level of the proc. Procs happen, when you either 1) kill an enemy or 2) attack an enemy. Procs happen more often based off your Attack Rating , how many times you land an attack, and how fast you attack. IAS % is important and so is AR so the higher the greater. A way to increase yours procs sources of damage is by increasing things such as; Spell Damage and Pierce. For more information about which procs you can obtain click the link https://docs.median-xl.com/doc/wiki/affixes

► Show Spoiler

Early Game : (Level 1-105)
(Tiered Unique's)
level 1-105 = 113 points
► Show Spoiler

Mid Game : (Level 105-145)
(SU / Runewords / Crafts)
level 105-145 = 156 points
► Show Spoiler

End Game : (Level 145-150)
(SU / Sets)
level 145 - 150 = 161 points
► Show Spoiler

Ubers

► More Info

I want to Thank the Staff of Median XL for this Amazing Mod!
Marco - Suchbalance - Whist - Ben - Aahz - Quirinus - GregMXL - Rishab - Gavin_K88 - Brother Laz
Honorable Mention
@RealiantNone @Stazitto @Thriving @Ayato @Dirge @Devin @TurboHippo
This Guide is Created by Dru

Edited by Dru 3 months.
Jampula
Amazon Warrior
1677 | 91
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Didn't read the whole guide, just skimmed through (I will eventually, you have nice ones). One thing pointed out, in mid-game you keep mentioning Tri-ele dmg, but IIRC that doesn't work with Crystal Swords or any elemental weapon.
cnlnjzfjb
Horadric Mage
1064 | 24
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Cool. Nice guide.
Just one thing bothers me, there seems to be a physical resist gap for ele melee sorc with endgame gear, esp when u pick Warp Armor over Vengeful Power, iirc? And I dont want to use trophy set or that 20 seconds thing Shadow Refuge relic for my ele melee sorc to cover that gap. Or maybe we can just leave this PR problem alone for ele melee sorc since melee sorc is already tanky enough? Thx.
Dru
Grubber
338 | 23
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Great Guide Badge
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Jampula wrote:Didn't read the whole guide, just skimmed through (I will eventually, you have nice ones). One thing pointed out, in mid-game you keep mentioning Tri-ele dmg, but IIRC that doesn't work with Crystal Swords or any elemental weapon.

thanks for pointing that out. the point of all the Tri Ele Damage in Mid Game is because it is Converted into Innate Cold Damage thanks to the passive Cold Blooded. I adjusted mid game a lil bit explaining that now. ++

cnlnjzfjb wrote:Cool. Nice guide.
Just one thing bothers me, there seems to be a physical resist gap for ele melee sorc with endgame gear, esp when u pick Warp Armor over Vengeful Power, iirc? And I dont want to use trophy set or that 20 seconds thing Shadow Refuge relic for my ele melee sorc to cover that gap. Or maybe we can just leave this PR problem alone for ele melee sorc since melee sorc is already tanky enough? Thx.

- from what i've experienced. physical resist won't even matter much. yes you can pick up vengeful power but i mean you survive mostly everything with melee devotion, baneblade, and living flame. Living flame alone kinda outweighs the gap in physical resists. I've tested both combos in the Coven Tree, Vengeful Power + Warp Armor compared to Living Flame + Warp Armor. the Living Flame & Warp armor made a bigger impact toward your survivability in the long run. for example, im sitting at only 23% physical resists in End Game Gear and im fully capable of soloing t8-t9 rifts and every uber in the game besides Laz(I never do Laz). Scosglen wasn't much a problem either using Mid Game Gear.
cnlnjzfjb
Horadric Mage
1064 | 24
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Dru wrote:- from what i've experienced. physical resist won't even matter much. yes you can pick up vengeful power but i mean you survive mostly everything with melee devotion, baneblade, and living flame. Living flame alone kinda outweighs the gap in physical resists. I've tested both combos in the Coven Tree, Vengeful Power + Warp Armor compared to Living Flame + Warp Armor. the Living Flame & Warp armor made a bigger impact toward your survivability in the long run. for example, im sitting at only 23% physical resists in End Game Gear and im fully capable of soloing t8-t9 rifts and every uber in the game besides Laz(I never do Laz). Scosglen wasn't much a problem either using Mid Game Gear.

Thx.
paolo12
Cog
203 | 18
Über section is outdated. Many boss fights don't require purify anymore and some changed level requirements.
ototsuyume
Prowler
15 | 0
IMO,
Fangskin Scales
Fangskin Scales
Greaves (Sacred)

Defense: 2481 to 2799
Required Level: 100
Required Strength: 650
Item Level: 120
(10 to 40)% Movement Speed
Adds 6-8 Poison Damage over 1 seconds
+25% to Poison Spell Damage
-15% to Enemy Poison Resistance
+200% Enhanced Defense
+50 to Energy
15% to Energy
Maximum Poison Resist +2%
Socketed (4)

Henchmen Trophies
(Legendary Set)
is a bad option for boots since the only useful stats from it is maximum posion resist(might be the energy could let your mana sheild last a little bit longer) and poison resist has relatively lower priority than other resists. If you need three pieces of henchmen sets, helmet, gloves and belt should be the best choice. For boots, the cheapest option is
Titan's Steps
Titan's Steps
Heavy Boots (Sacred)

Defense: (1322 - 1531) to (1400 - 1621)
Required Strength: 550
Item Level: 105
Adds 40-50 Magic Damage
Adds 40-50 Fire Damage
Adds 40-50 Lightning Damage
Adds 40-50 Cold Damage
-(7 to 10)% to Enemy Elemental Resistances
+(90 to 120)% Enhanced Defense
+200 to Life
Elemental Resists +10%
+(40 to 50) Life after each Kill
5% Weapon Damage Taken Restores Mana
Socketed (4)
which provides decent amount elemental damages and pierce and it is easy to get a good corrupted one. In late game, a crafted boot with abandon shrine should be considered since it can provide 2 maximum resists and decent amount of dexes, also a honorific boot is defenitely the best option.

Also, Are you sure the passive elemental damage given by the equiements can be scaled with innate elemental damage? Based on the old discussion threads I guess the answer is no. I think this is the reason why innate elemental build have been weak for many seasons since there were very few sources of dmange boost.

On the sustain side, your proc doesn't use any defensive UMO. Do you have a video showcase of cleaning high labs with this build? Based on my experience, it was less tanky than phy build, and i had to be extremely careful when cleaning high labs. It was extremely dangerous and easy to die when facing a crowd of monsters due to the low phy resistance and lack of leech, even though I have used several solitubes, franhams and invisibles to increase the survivabity.

Ultimately, I think elemental melee sorc is significantly weaker than phy build, the only advantage of it is the gears are much cheaper than phy gears.
Dru
Grubber
338 | 23
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Great Guide Badge
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
ototsuyume wrote:IMO,
Fangskin Scales
Fangskin Scales
Greaves (Sacred)

+200% Enhanced Defense
+50 to Energy
15% to Energy
Socketed (4)

Henchmen Trophies
(Legendary Set)
is a bad option for boots since the only useful stats from it is maximum posion resist(might be the energy could let your mana sheild last a little bit longer) and poison resist has relatively lower priority than other resists. If you need three pieces of henchmen sets, helmet, gloves and belt should be the best choice. For boots, the cheapest option is
Titan's Steps
Titan's Steps
Heavy Boots (Sacred)

Adds 40-50 Magic Damage
Adds 40-50 Fire Damage
Adds 40-50 Cold Damage
+200 to Life
Elemental Resists +10%
Socketed (4)
which provides decent amount elemental damages and pierce and it is easy to get a good corrupted one. In late game, a crafted boot with abandon shrine should be considered since it can provide 2 maximum resists and decent amount of dexes, also a honorific boot is defenitely the best option.

Also, Are you sure the passive elemental damage given by the equiements can be scaled with innate elemental damage? Based on the old discussion threads I guess the answer is no. I think this is the reason why innate elemental build have been weak for many seasons since there were very few sources of dmange boost.

On the sustain side, your proc doesn't use any defensive UMO. Do you have a video showcase of cleaning high labs with this build? Based on my experience, it was less tanky than phy build, and i had to be extremely careful when cleaning high labs. It was extremely dangerous and easy to die when facing a crowd of monsters due to the low phy resistance and lack of leech, even though I have used several solitubes, franhams and invisibles to increase the survivabity.

Ultimately, I think elemental melee sorc is significantly weaker than phy build, the only advantage of it is the gears are much cheaper than phy gears.

well if you read the guide, i clearly stated the boots were only used for the max res bonus and to complete the 3 piece set of Henchman set for that bonus.

As for videos in labbing uh i guess i can try and make a quick video sometime soon. I didnt have much problems until like T9-T10.
Comparing The Elemental vs Physical isnt really comparable. Physical got a rehaul and buff this season and made it easier to clear labs because of it and they take less damage only because probably they have more Dexterity to fullfill the max block chance to 80% and the extra physical resists that makes it easier to reach max phys res.

It is "weaker" only in a sense of Labbing in t9-t10. other than that its got a solid clear speed for dunc/ fauzt/ scosglen etc.

Farnhams will help yes, The choice is yours. what i did on mine was just increased my life regen so i stacked Dexterity / and mystic orbs life regen. so that probably helps as well, went ahead and added it to the endgame rather than marksmans eye.
ototsuyume
Prowler
15 | 0
Dru wrote:
Fangskin Scales
Fangskin Scales
Greaves (Sacred)

+200% Enhanced Defense
+50 to Energy
15% to Energy
Socketed (4)

Henchmen Trophies
(Legendary Set)
Titan's Steps
Titan's Steps
Heavy Boots (Sacred)

Adds 40-50 Magic Damage
Adds 40-50 Fire Damage
Adds 40-50 Cold Damage
+200 to Life
Elemental Resists +10%
Socketed (4)

well if you read the guide, i clearly stated the boots were only used for the max res bonus and to complete the 3 piece set of Henchman set for that bonus.

As for videos in labbing uh i guess i can try and make a quick video sometime soon. I didnt have much problems until like T9-T10.
Comparing The Elemental vs Physical isnt really comparable. Physical got a rehaul and buff this season and made it easier to clear labs because of it and they take less damage only because probably they have more Dexterity to fullfill the max block chance to 80% and the extra physical resists that makes it easier to reach max phys res.

It is "weaker" only in a sense of Labbing in t9-t10. other than that its got a solid clear speed for dunc/ fauzt/ scosglen etc.

Farnhams will help yes, The choice is yours. what i did on mine was just increased my life regen so i stacked Dexterity / and mystic orbs life regen. so that probably helps as well, went ahead and added it to the endgame rather than marksmans eye.

Yeah, I agree that the three pieces set bonus is important. What I wanted to point out is there are better options for boots. It isn't hard to craft a boots with +1 or +2 maximum resists, ~50 flat dex, +5% dex and 100+ life. I have spent less than 50 abandon shrines and got three boots with these stats. Here is an example: Image

Compared with the combination of
Fangskin Scales
Fangskin Scales
Greaves (Sacred)

+200% Enhanced Defense
+50 to Energy
15% to Energy
Socketed (4)

Henchmen Trophies
(Legendary Set)
and
Dementia
Dementia
Belt (Sacred)

Defense: (3111 - 3348) to (3272 - 3524)
Required Strength:
-(15 to 20)% to Enemy Elemental Resistances
+(15 to 25) to Fowl Fight
Slow Target 5%
+(120 to 140)% Enhanced Defense
+500 Defense
Maximum Life +2%
Maximum Elemental Resists +1%
Physical Resist 5%
Requirements +20%
Socketed (2)
, the combination of
Doomcloud Spine
Doomcloud Spine
Plated Belt (Sacred)

Defense: 4089 to 4479
Required Strength: 675
Adds 100-150 Lightning Damage
+25% to Lightning Spell Damage
-15% to Enemy Lightning Resistance
+200% Enhanced Defense
+50 to Vitality
15% to Vitality
Maximum Lightning Resist +2%
+5 Lightning Absorb
Socketed (2)

Henchmen Trophies
(Legendary Set)
and crafted boots provides much more damages.

Also, there is an alternative endgame gear I saw from https://forum.median-xl.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=81607. I think these gears are even cheaper than
Henchmen Trophies
Henchmen Trophies
(Legendary Set)

Bilefroth Skin
Blackskull's Horns
Doomcloud Spine
Stareye's Claws
Fangskin Scales

Set Bonus with 2 or more set items:
+2 to All Skills
15% to All Attributes

Set Bonus with 3 or more set items:
-25% to Enemy Elemental Resistances
Elemental Resists +25%

Set Bonus with 4 or more set items:
5% Deadly Strike
Physical Resist 10%

Set Bonus with complete set:
1% Base Block Chance
50% Movement Speed
+35% to Spell Damage
+1500 Defense
Elemental Resists +30%
+150 Life after each Kill

set. He also has a showcase on cleaning t10 lab on YouTube, but the playstyle is way much more harder than endgame phy build I have seen from my friend(need to do a lot of additional moves to dodge the missles lol). He swtiched to
Azurewrath
Azurewrath
Crystal Sword (Sacred)

Required Dexterity:
Item Level: 130
Innate Cold Damage:
(45.0% of Dexterity)
100% of Vitality Added as Cold Damage to Weapon
Max Life gained per point of Vitality reduced by 0.9
You Cannot Deal Fire, Lightning or Poison Damage
40% Chance to cast level 30 Azure Orb on Melee Attack
Adds 160-250 Cold Damage
-100% to Enemy Cold Resistance
+2 to Remorseless Winter
Slow Target 25%
Maximum Cold Resist +10%
Physical Resist 10%
100% Bonus to Defense
Cannot Be Frozen
Requirements +100%
Socketed (6)
, but his other gears are innate dex gears instead of vatility gears https://median-xl.com/char/coco. There is another traditional Azure build of melee sorc https://median-xl.com/char/Chaostylz on ladder. Not sure which one is better though :shock:
Dru
Grubber
338 | 23
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Great Guide Badge
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
ototsuyume wrote:
Dru wrote:
Fangskin Scales
Fangskin Scales
Greaves (Sacred)

+200% Enhanced Defense
+50 to Energy
15% to Energy
Socketed (4)

Henchmen Trophies
(Legendary Set)
Titan's Steps
Titan's Steps
Heavy Boots (Sacred)

Adds 40-50 Magic Damage
Adds 40-50 Fire Damage
Adds 40-50 Cold Damage
+200 to Life
Elemental Resists +10%
Socketed (4)

Yeah, I agree that the three pieces set bonus is important. What I wanted to point out is there are better options for boots. It isn't hard to craft a boots with +1 or +2 maximum resists, ~50 flat dex, +5% dex and 100+ life. I have spent less than 50 abandon shrines and got three boots with these stats. Here is an example: Image

Compared with the combination of
Fangskin Scales
Fangskin Scales
Greaves (Sacred)

+200% Enhanced Defense
+50 to Energy
15% to Energy
Socketed (4)

Henchmen Trophies
(Legendary Set)
and
Dementia
Dementia
Belt (Sacred)

Defense: (3111 - 3348) to (3272 - 3524)
Required Strength:
-(15 to 20)% to Enemy Elemental Resistances
+(15 to 25) to Fowl Fight
Slow Target 5%
+(120 to 140)% Enhanced Defense
+500 Defense
Maximum Life +2%
Maximum Elemental Resists +1%
Physical Resist 5%
Requirements +20%
Socketed (2)
, the combination of
Doomcloud Spine
Doomcloud Spine
Plated Belt (Sacred)

Defense: 4089 to 4479
Required Strength: 675
Adds 100-150 Lightning Damage
+25% to Lightning Spell Damage
-15% to Enemy Lightning Resistance
+200% Enhanced Defense
+50 to Vitality
15% to Vitality
Maximum Lightning Resist +2%
+5 Lightning Absorb
Socketed (2)

Henchmen Trophies
(Legendary Set)
and crafted boots provides much more damages.

Also, there is an alternative endgame gear I saw from https://forum.median-xl.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=81607. I think these gears are even cheaper than
Henchmen Trophies
Henchmen Trophies
(Legendary Set)

Bilefroth Skin
Blackskull's Horns
Doomcloud Spine
Stareye's Claws
Fangskin Scales

Set Bonus with 2 or more set items:
+2 to All Skills
15% to All Attributes

Set Bonus with 3 or more set items:
-25% to Enemy Elemental Resistances
Elemental Resists +25%

Set Bonus with 4 or more set items:
5% Deadly Strike
Physical Resist 10%

Set Bonus with complete set:
1% Base Block Chance
50% Movement Speed
+35% to Spell Damage
+1500 Defense
Elemental Resists +30%
+150 Life after each Kill

set. He also has a showcase on cleaning t10 lab on YouTube, but the playstyle is way much more harder than endgame phy build I have seen from my friend(need to do a lot of additional moves to dodge the missles lol). He swtiched to
Azurewrath
Azurewrath
Crystal Sword (Sacred)

Required Dexterity:
Item Level: 130
Innate Cold Damage:
(45.0% of Dexterity)
100% of Vitality Added as Cold Damage to Weapon
Max Life gained per point of Vitality reduced by 0.9
You Cannot Deal Fire, Lightning or Poison Damage
40% Chance to cast level 30 Azure Orb on Melee Attack
Adds 160-250 Cold Damage
-100% to Enemy Cold Resistance
+2 to Remorseless Winter
Slow Target 25%
Maximum Cold Resist +10%
Physical Resist 10%
100% Bonus to Defense
Cannot Be Frozen
Requirements +100%
Socketed (6)
, but his other gears are innate dex gears instead of vatility gears https://median-xl.com/char/coco. There is another traditional Azure build of melee sorc https://median-xl.com/char/Chaostylz on ladder. Not sure which one is better though :shock:

you can most likely use any of the two combos and it will be fine.
also i wouldnt derail from the item Starhawk as it is Tri Ele Damage compared to Azurewrath which is only Cold Damage.