MacOS & sigma

Need help installing the mod?
SteelWings
Sasquatch
67 | 5
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
I had no luck building new wine version.

After disassembling the file and finding necessary code, then replacing all the 0x0 to 0x2 in privilege creation struct I came with nothing.
I still get the same error and I'm not feeling motivated enough to go continue my investigation. :wall:

Maybe I'll look into Median DLL once I'm motivated enough, but at this point if Sigma doesn't work "out of the box" on Wine I doubt I'll do anything besides install a Win7 with Parallels.

If anyone finds a better solution it would be awesome.
Solfege
Harpylisk
1461 | 209
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
@SteelWings and @SwineFlu
What is it about the Launcher that requires admin privileges in the first place?

@mortimer_85
No worries. I'm not much help at this stage either.

And tbh, I think there are more Mac+Linux users than ppl realize.
SteelWings
Sasquatch
67 | 5
Great Popularity Badge
Solfege wrote:@SteelWings and @SwineFlu
What is it about the Launcher that requires admin privileges in the first place?

It's not the Launcher, you get the same error running Diablo II.exe or Game.exe directly with wine, this is something that MXL.dll or Fog.dll or msvcr110.dll (not sure which one contains the code that's being loaded) require.

And, yeah, I'm assuming this has to do with how eternal code basically is injected in base version on D2, but I'm not sure in all those permissions are "required" per se, that's something only a MXL developer can answer.
SwineFlu
Heretic
402 | 53
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
I didn't checked the launcher source code thoroughly and I can assess its code only through my limited knowledge of a different programming languages, I have no experience in java whatsoever. I might be wrong, but I think it checks the admin privileges exclusively for the MXL.dll, just a precaution to make sure that you can run the game (patch the game) in the first place.

SteelWings wrote:And, yeah, I'm assuming this has to do with how eternal code basically is injected in base version on D2, but I'm not sure in all those permissions are "required" per se, that's something only a MXL developer can answer.

You don't need the dev to answer this question, I know what I'm talking about because I looked into the MXL.dll disassembly. Moreover, I know about this stuff because I'm using Whist's D2Template for a few of my projects and since I modified it a bit, I know how it works and I'm assuring you that MXL.dll code is roughly based on the code of the aforementioned tool. So the initialization of MXL.dll fails either when it's calling AdjustTokenPrivileges or OpenProcess and it's not my wild guess.
Edited by SwineFlu 5 years.
Solfege
Harpylisk
1461 | 209
Common Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge
So it's not the Laucher that's causing the privileges problem, but something about, or related to, the MXL.dll itself? Which is why it works in XP, but not Win 7 and higher?
SwineFlu
Heretic
402 | 53
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Solfege wrote:So it's not the Laucher that's causing the privileges problem, but something about, or related to, the MXL.dll itself? Which is why it works in XP, but not Win 7 and higher?

Nah, you can't run launcher on Windows XP, it's based on the Chromium engine and google ditched the support for XP and Vista about a year ago or something like that. Anyway Failed to retrieve process is the message which you get when MXL.dll fails to attach to the d2 process and it's not related with the launcher.
Solfege
Harpylisk
1461 | 209
Common Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Fak. Sorry, I worded that so poorly, but I think I get what you're saying. (it's early af and I hadn't had any coffee yet. :-D )

So are we just stuck hoping the Sigma dll(s) will fix things, then?
SteelWings
Sasquatch
67 | 5
Great Popularity Badge
Hey Flu, thanks for clarification. Then it’s settled. We’re pretty much stuck.

I got an idea though. Why don’t we think about it other way around. What makes D2SE work with Median, functioning 100% without necesseary perms?
Also, what would make it incompatible with Sigma as well?
SwineFlu
Heretic
402 | 53
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Read the PM, further discussion is definitely not suited for this thread :mrgreen:
Solfege
Harpylisk
1461 | 209
Common Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge