Troubleshooting for Median XL: Sigma

Need help installing the mod?
V_i_n_S
Thunder Beetle
52 | 1
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
RequiemLux wrote:
V_i_n_S wrote:Hello, I installed the latest patch, after running I have this message. launecher is running as administrator. an exception is added in the antivirus. anyone can help?
► Show Spoiler

First thing first, try restarting the Launcher or even the PC. If the error is still there then open the Launcher and go into its settings page, there click on "Application Data" (bottom-right corner), the errorLog is in the "logs" folder inside the "Launcher" one. Post it here using the spoiler tag for the wall of text, just like I did with your picture.

as U wish:

► Show Spoiler
RequiemLux
Sand Maggot
1125 | 288
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
V_i_n_S wrote:
as U wish:

► Show Spoiler

What I've suggested above for Dumda is valid for your case too, so do that.
• Troubleshooting for MXL Sigma
• Installation Guide for MXL Sigma
"It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that things are difficult." -Seneca
whist
Team Member
634 | 557
Legendary Love Badge
Earned over 500 cookies
Median XL Team Member
Ibra1 wrote:So looking into my windows defender history, I see where it quarantined D2Sigma.dll. It says that it sees a trojan, and "This program is dangerous and executes commands from an attacker." Alert level: Severe.

Can we get at least an explanation to why this would be triggering an alert like this? Plus, this was only triggered after the latest update came out. (When the launchers says "Install" instead of "Play")

Technically speaking, D2Sigma.dll has the same behavior as a virus. It injects third party code in an executable process running on your computer. So it's not a big surprise that it would get flagged by an antivirus, which are designed to detect this kind of behavior. Also we don't have any measures in place to try to hide it from antiviruses (since we're not building a virus), so this makes it even easier for AV softwares to "catch us". As far as timing goes, antivirus are constantly updated, and new "patterns" are being flagged as "malicious", the fact your detection started acting up with the new update has nothing to do with whatever was pushed in the update, in fact, nothing in the dll changed from 1.5.1 to 1.5.3, other than the version number (for display purposes).

As far as what we can do about it goes, we've been in touch with multiple AV providers and some of them recognized there was nothing malicious about our software and added us to their "whitelist", but this process needs to be renewed practically every time we make an update to our code, and possibly when they update their database as well (all depends on the AV we're talking about). Anything we can do from our code's perspective is a never ending cat and mouse game, and would actually put me in the same role as a virus developer, where I try to hide my "malicious" code from the AV's detection via obfuscation, and that's just not a path I wanna take.

That being said, all I can give you is a guarantee that there's nothing meant to harm your system or to spy on your personal/financial/whatever information in the dll, we're making a game and the product is safe to use. If you wanna avoid issues and enjoy the game to it's full extent, you can whitelist it (assuming your AV software allows it, not all of them allow user whitelisting)
V_i_n_S
Thunder Beetle
52 | 1
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
RequiemLux wrote:
What I've suggested above for Dumda is valid for your case too, so do that.

I followed your advice, unfortunately does not work. I installed the game from the beginning, took care of adding the exceptions in AV properly and it still does not work. :(
Pretender
Fallen
1 | 0
New to Median and need your help here.

I download and play it for 2 weeks now and then 2 days ago it changed back to Diablo: LOD. All save were gone.
Try new download and Xedian lancher show me this;

[2020-04-29 23:16:26] Could not add "Run as Admin" option for D:\Bit Download\Diablo 2 LoD + Median XL Sigma\Diablo II\Median XL Launcher\Median XL Launcher.exe. ||| TypeError: Cannot read property 'values' of undefined
[2020-04-29 23:16:36] checkD2Path Invalid Diablo II installation selected.
Please make sure that you have a proper installation of Diablo II: Lord of Destruction.
[2020-04-29 23:16:36] Diablo II location not specified. Cannot find D2VidTst.exe
[2020-04-29 23:16:36] Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory, mkdir ''

Any suggestion for this newbie question please.
I know this mods years too late but really want to enjoy it now.
f0s1k
Fallen
1 | 0
Здравствуйте, помогите решить проблему!

[2020-06-18 14:13:59] Could not add "Run as Admin" option for C:\Users\msi\AppData\Local\Programs\Median XL Launcher\Median XL Launcher.exe. ||| TypeError: Cannot read property 'values' of undefined
[2020-06-18 14:14:09] checkD2Path Invalid Diablo II installation selected.
Please make sure that you have a proper installation of Diablo II: Lord of Destruction.
[2020-06-18 14:14:09] Diablo II location not specified. Cannot find D2VidTst.exe
[2020-06-18 14:14:09] Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory, mkdir ''
[2020-06-18 14:14:54] checkD2Path Invalid Diablo II installation selected.
[2020-06-18 14:14:54] Diablo II location not specified. Cannot find D2VidTst.exe
[2020-06-18 14:14:54] Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory, mkdir ''
[2020-06-18 14:15:06] Could not add "Run as Admin" option for C:\Users\msi\AppData\Local\Programs\Median XL Launcher\Median XL Launcher.exe. ||| TypeError: Cannot read property 'values' of undefined
[2020-06-18 14:15:13] checkD2Path Invalid Diablo II installation selected.
[2020-06-18 14:15:13] Diablo II location not specified. Cannot find D2VidTst.exe
[2020-06-18 14:15:13] Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory, mkdir ''
[2020-06-18 14:16:09] checkD2Path Invalid Diablo II installation selected.
[2020-06-18 14:16:10] undefined
[2020-06-18 14:24:16] Could not add "Run as Admin" option for C:\Users\msi\AppData\Local\Programs\Median XL Launcher\Median XL Launcher.exe. ||| TypeError: Cannot read property 'values' of undefined
[2020-06-18 14:24:20] checkD2Path Invalid Diablo II installation selected.
RequiemLux
Sand Maggot
1125 | 288
Common Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Median XL Team Member
f0s1k wrote:
► Show Spoiler

Many reasons can lurk behind those error, do the following:
  • Make sure you have also installed the expansion Lord of Destruction and not just Diablo II.
  • Make sure the installation path for Median XL (not the Launcher's one) matches with the installation path of Diablo2+LoD. You can check the Median XL's installation path in the setting page of the Launcher, to access click on the cog "⚙️" icon (up-right) in the Launcher window. If you do not remember where you installed Diablo2 LoD you can check its installation path by 'right-clicking' on Diablo2 LoD original shortcut, then selecting "Properties" and in the "Shortcut" tab read the path written in "Target:", the needed path should ends with the folder "Diablo II".
  • Go here: C:\Users\msi\AppData\Local\Programs\Median XL Launcher and then right-click on Median XL Launcher.exe and in the properties' compatibility tab set it to "Run this program as an administrator".
  • Set Diablo II.exe to run as an Administrator and in compatibility mode with Windows XP (Service Pack 3) and the Launcher as an Administrator. Try also restarting your PC.
amanecer007
Fallen
1 | 0
Alguien sabe si se puede cambiar el idioma? porque en la configuración tiene una lista de 9 idiomas y solo deja poner el ingles, gracias.
RequiemLux
Sand Maggot
1125 | 288
Common Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Median XL Team Member
amanecer007 wrote:Alguien sabe si se puede cambiar el idioma? porque en la configuración tiene una lista de 9 idiomas y solo deja poner el ingles, gracias.

Sigma Translations <--- refer to this thread
you could also check this forum secion: Median XL International if you have major issues with english.
Licoffe
Skeleton
2 | 0
Hi,

Looking to get back to Median after a long time (2012) but I can't seem to get Median XL to start properly.

I installed d2 v1.14b on my Desktop through the Battlenet installers (D2 + D2 LOD patch), then installed the Median XL launcher downloaded from the website. I selected the right d2 installation folder on my desktop, however after clicking install in the launcher, the launcher crashes (or quits, it's not clear) when reaching the end of the download progress bar. It seems the game files have been patched since they contain additional libraries. Running the launcher again shows the "Install" option again, not "Play". Trying to run Diablo 2 manually from a shortcut crashes with "Unrecoverable internal error 6fe2232e"

Both Diablo 2 and the Median XL Launcher are set to run as administrator and are not read-only. I have re-downloaded a copy of the game from Battlenet servers several times to "make sure" they were not corrupted and tried the process again.

The logs (AppData\Roaming\MedianXL\launcher\errorLog) of the launcher show the following issue:

[2020-07-15 12:49:12] Could not add "Run as Admin" option for C:\...\AppData\Local\Programs\Median XL Launcher\Median XL Launcher.exe. ||| TypeError: Cannot read property 'values' of undefined

which looks like a path related javascript issue: https://github.com/Median-XL/MXL-Launch ... eg.js#L420

Any recommendations on how to solve this?

Best