Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Great Contribution Badge
Is an active collaborator / developer
NodiX wrote:
kambala wrote:I might have found a strange "fix" for macOS: adding the following wine debug channels fixes character loading for me:

+timestamp,warn+all

Can you elaborate more? Are you referring to BigSur character crash? If so, how do we do that in CrossOver?

I'm talking about getting stuck on the Loading screen, on linux the same thing also might happen. Not sure which crash you're referring to, all works fine on my Big Sur.

I haven't found how to customise WINEDEBUG in CrossOver GUI, instead I use a shell script to launch d2 (and optionally d2stats) using CrossOver's wine. Can share it if you're interested.
NodiX
Imp
4 | 0
kambala wrote:
NodiX wrote:
kambala wrote:I might have found a strange "fix" for macOS: adding the following wine debug channels fixes character loading for me:

+timestamp,warn+all

Can you elaborate more? Are you referring to BigSur character crash? If so, how do we do that in CrossOver?

I'm talking about getting stuck on the Loading screen, on linux the same thing also might happen. Not sure which crash you're referring to, all works fine on my Big Sur.

I haven't found how to customise WINEDEBUG in CrossOver GUI, instead I use a shell script to launch d2 (and optionally d2stats) using CrossOver's wine. Can share it if you're interested.
It's likely that crash you mentioned since I managed to run Sigma 2 with your solution (finally!). My temporary fix is to add WINEDEBUG key with value of warn+all in regedit by adding it to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment

NOTE: if anyone who don't know how to access regedit in CrossOver bottles you can open it by inserting "regedit" instead of browse for exe in bottle's Run command.

EDIT:
Sometimes the game still crashes setting WINEDEBUG in regedit. In this case WINEDEBUG can still be injected through CrossOver by checking the "Create log file" when clicking right button on Diablo 2 -> Run with options. This will create a log file that you can save wherever you want, because this is not important since all we need just to inject WINEDEBUG into CrossOver. Text field for "Extra environment variables" will available and you can enter WINEDEBUG=warn+all there (with this method you might have to repeat entering the WINEDEBUG env variable every time starting up the game exe, though).
Edited by NodiX 2 years.
kambala
Djinn
509 | 87
Legendary Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Great Contribution Badge
btw just warn+all is sufficient
NodiX
Imp
4 | 0
kambala wrote:btw just warn+all is sufficient

Noted, thanks.
Mikebringer
Dark Huntress
13 | 2
Common Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
kambala wrote:
NodiX wrote:

+timestamp,warn+all

Can you share that shell script? I have an M1 air on Monterey and I want to get the latest patch to run through Crossover.
kambala
Djinn
509 | 87
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Great Contribution Badge
Mikebringer wrote:Can you share that shell script? I have an M1 air on Monterey and I want to get the latest patch to run through Crossover.

sure! read the script and adjust paths to your case.

Code: Select all

#!/usr/bin/env bash

export WINEDEBUG=warn+all
export WINEPREFIX=~/Applications/Wineskin/Diablo2.app/Contents/Resources

wineExe="/Applications/CrossOver.app/Contents/SharedSupport/CrossOver/CrossOver-Hosted Application/wineloader32on64"

# if you also want to use D2Stats, uncomment the following:
# cd "$WINEPREFIX/drive_c/Program Files/Diablo II/Logs"
# "$wineExe" start 'C:\Program Files\Diablo II\!tools\D2Stats\D2Stats.exe'
# sleep 5

cd "$WINEPREFIX/drive_c/Program Files/Diablo II"

gameExe=sigma-loader.exe
# gameExe=game.exe

"$wineExe" "$gameExe"

get sigma-loader.exe from https://github.com/SyndromeDayna/diablo ... gma-loader

I have this script saved in a file with command extension to be able to launch it with double-click.
Mikebringer
Dark Huntress
13 | 2
Common Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
kambala wrote:
Mikebringer wrote:Can you share that shell script? I have an M1 air on Monterey and I want to get the latest patch to run through Crossover.

sure! read the script and adjust paths to your case.

get sigma-loader.exe from https://github.com/SyndromeDayna/diablo ... gma-loader

I have this script saved in a file with command extension to be able to launch it with double-click.

Sorry, I'm new to Mac and can't really figure this out. What do you mean by a custom bottle - should I:
1. Install everything and get it to work on a windows machine.
2. Copy all relevant files to a bottle created in crossover.
3. Use the script to launch the game.

I can't find out what a custom bottle is.
kambala
Djinn
509 | 87
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Great Contribution Badge
Mikebringer wrote:Sorry, I'm new to Mac and can't really figure this out. What do you mean by a custom bottle - should I:
1. Install everything and get it to work on a windows machine.
2. Copy all relevant files to a bottle created in crossover.
3. Use the script to launch the game.

I can't find out what a custom bottle is.

not sure where you saw something about custom bottle in my last comment...

basically you should only create a bottle in Crossover. The game can be installed in any location on any disk, you'd only need to symlink the game's directory inside the bottle to be able to reference it in a windows-style path (although I'm not even sure that it's required, as on command line you can pass native exe path to wine). The game can also be installed in any way you like: be it either normal installer running under either Crossover or Windows, or simply copy installed/unpacked game files to the bottle.

I think "custom bottle" means a clean bottle where you copy files manually and then specify executable on your own, as opposed to using an installer.
Phabio
Imp
5 | 3
Yooo, this actually just works on Steam Deck, too.

Brought all the files over on a clean install of the game via WinSCP, imported non-steam game, forced GE compat, and it works just fine.

I had no idea that Sigma could run sans-launcher. Can't thank you enough for this.
SteelWings
Sasquatch
67 | 5
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Phabio wrote:Yooo, this actually just works on Steam Deck, too.

Hey, can you please provide a bit more details on the Proton/Wine versions you used and if you run with additional params? So far I had no success on Steam Deck, but I can update the guide for the future if I can get it to work.