unhandled exception (was working before)

Need help installing the mod?
IXcrispyXI
Skeleton
2 | 0
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Hi ive been playing xl for a few weeks with no fault until today.
After i click play my median launcher minimizes but im getting unhandled exception pop up. Im not seeing any other errors coming up ImageImage
RequiemLux
Sand Maggot
1125 | 288
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
If you select a different video mode in the Launcher settings the error still comes up?

Anyway, you can try doing this:
'right click' on Computer → Properties → Advanced system settings → 'Advanced tab', in Performance section click on Settings... → 'Data Execution Prevention tab' check "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select:" → click on Add → find Diablo II.exe and Game.exe in Diablo2 directory (a.k.a. the installation folder) and add them → Apply → Ok → Restart the PC.
• Troubleshooting for MXL Sigma
• Installation Guide for MXL Sigma
"It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that things are difficult." -Seneca
DefQon1
Imp
4 | 0
I didn't want to start a new thread since I am having the exact issue.

So, I've been running 3 separate installations of D2. Vanilla, PlugY and Median. Worked like a charm all the way until and somewhat after Sigma release. I've been running it via "deceiving" Win10 by having my active game folder named Diablo 2, and renaming all of the rest so they don't interfere with original folder. So whenever I've played a certain mod, I have just renamed it to Diablo 2 and it worked perfectly. Found that one on youtube tutorial for running multiple instances. I've took a break somewhat after Sigma release and came back couple of days ago, and that's where the problems have started.

Basically, I have Glide issues. I downloaded 1.3.4 and got the same result as IXcrispyXI. After launching it, it shows the same unhandled exception. When I tried running Video test, it passes DirectDraw and Direct3d, stops and pops out the exception when it comes to Glide test. I've even tried running it over my vanilla D2 instalation, nothing. Reinstalled the vanilla completely, nothing. Copied the folder to have multiples same as before, nothing. I've done the Glide Wrapper setup, have the Administrative rights, I've even done that DEP exceptions, absolutly nothing works.

The only time I could get a game running is by chossing DirectDraw or Direct3d, however the game is kinda laggy, and it doesn't pull my -w -nofixaspect settings from vanilla D2 shortcut. It's playable, but I don't want to have my eyes running out after sitting 2-3 hours trying to play the game. And even after exiting the game from those video modes, I still get an exception errors regarding Glide.

Is there anything else that could be done? As I've said, even in Sigma, Glide worked perfectly. Game was running fast and smooth. To make matters worse, I've never uninstalled the mode and I've had all of my instances on my computer the whole time, so only thing I've did was updating the client, no more, no less. I just cannot comprehend why it still shows that error. Any ideas?
RequiemLux
Sand Maggot
1125 | 288
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
DefQon1 wrote:Any ideas?

Sadly it appears that for incompatibilities between the latest version of Win10 and Glide there is not a reliable solution.
There are some things you can try:
Few user that were able to use Glide with the latest Win10 updates by configuring its settings as such:
► Glide Settings

Alternatively you can check this thread, there are various discussions about the issue.
• Troubleshooting for MXL Sigma
• Installation Guide for MXL Sigma
"It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that things are difficult." -Seneca
DefQon1
Imp
4 | 0
RequiemLux wrote:
DefQon1 wrote:Any ideas?

Alternatively you can check this thread, there are various discussions about the issue.

So, this is what I've done. First, I've tried the Glide settings again. I've been using the settings from the troubleshooting which are a bit different than these you've provided to me. I've managed to get the game running in Glide, windowed mode. If I switched to fullscreen, it crashed and gave the same unhandled exception error. Funny enough, even though the game runs in windowed mode it still drops the exception errors after exiting the game. The same problem I've had even with DirectDraw and Direct3d. Weird, but it works.

HOWEVER, I've tried that .dll file in the link you've given me and it worked like a charm. Fullscreen, Glide on, and not even the usual exception errors are showing. Not even after exiting the game. I guess that is the solution, even though I've seen some guys couldn't get it running after that "patch" either. All in all, worth trying, it might work.

That you very much for this. :D

*EDIT*
Unfortunately, I've experienced same issues with lag and random crashes using that .dll file. But I've reverted it to old one and using your Glide settings, so far so good. Windowed mode, but no lags and crashes. For now. Hopefully it will stay that way.
FAKEGvozden
Fallen
1 | 1
For me the problem was in the graphics card driver, I did everything that could be done, I even reset Windows 10 where the factory versioni (1909). In the end it turned out that the problem was the new nvidia graphics driver and I just installed the older version of the driver. (391.25) and the problem is gone, I can now play Diablo 2 MedianXl with a glide wrapper. Answer if this post helped anyone.Image