Median XL instalation causes issues with seperate instances of PlugY/Diablo II

Need help installing the mod?
lerugray
Skeleton
3 | 0
Hello all

Curious as to if I can maybe discover a fix for this. I enjoy Median XL and playing a modded version of PlugY separately, though I've now noticed that as soon as I install a copy of Median XL anywhere on my PC, PlugY will then try to find files (Localized Strings according to the PlugY mod) in the Median XL installation folders and this then generates a unhandled exception error that prevents me from using PlugY.

Any ideas why this would maybe be happening? With the exception of Median XL and Path of Diablo, I rename the folder of the instance of diablo I'm currently playing as to not screw with the registry as I've noticed other issues can arise. I've noticed that I've not needed to rename the installation folders to get PoD and Median XL to work, but I'm trying to figure out why PlugY is trying to get files from Median, and if I can maybe work out a fix for this so I can have both games installed, thanks in advance
lerugray
Skeleton
3 | 0
I would think that somehow, the Median installer makes itself the sole working copy of Diablo in the Registry, is there a way to avoid this?
Krusha
Destroyer
7 | 0
in very rough terms, here's how I did it in the past. someone may have a much simpler way, however.

first, backup any character files you have
-start from scratch (uninstall everything) & restart pc
-install d2 on a separate external hard drive or USB per normal. patch and get it working.
-unplug external hard drive
-"uninstall" diablo 2 - this allows you to install a second copy via the installer download (clears registry without deleting the files)
-install diablo 2 in a different location on a different hard drive. name it D2 MXL or something
-patch that 2nd copy with median xl. make sure it works
-you *should* be able to then plug in the external hard drive or USB again and play regular d2 from there

*another way would be to use sandboxie or a virtual machine (vmware, etc) & run your other copy in said program.

again it's been a while since I did this, and there may be a better way properly documented, but hope this helps you out.