Hello---

Having unplayable lag (network latency) issues since 1.8. Tried the following:

Fresh install of game and median
Every video option in the launcher, including windowed mode
Disabled game sound
Restarted all of my network equipment and PC
Launcher and game are 1.2.1 and 1.8
Asked around on discord support, no solution yet

Only happening since the 1.8 patch. This also affects game creation, sometimes I have to cancel and try again several times.

Send help!
Wotan
Astral Guardian
1926 | 159
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Set your preferable game server. In lobby chat type in /gs <number> depending on your region:
https://tsw.median-xl.com/info
Zuulrethad
Stone Warrior
33 | 3
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Ah yea forgot to mention that. I've tried several game servers all close to me to the same result.
silicondream
Lava Lord
95 | 22
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Hey man better use this viewtopic.php?t=24270
Zuulrethad
Stone Warrior
33 | 3
Common Popularity Badge
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Thanks for the tool --- But I've used several of the servers listed in its output already, still laggin.

Not sure what to do at this point. Normally I play offline, but this season is realm-only for some goofy reason. *sigh*
budda
Rust Claw
84 | 2
Well for myself i was doing some inet tweaks. My cpu are old and also i was play in cs 1.6
https://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php
https://www.speedguide.net/articles.php?category=93
https://www.speedguide.net/articles/net ... ation-3449
This helps with games that using small packets: disable nagle algorithm (game tweaks section), setup network adapter (disable flow control, Interrupt Moderation)
Zuulrethad
Stone Warrior
33 | 3
Common Popularity Badge
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Eh I'm not really comfortable with modifying my device settings to possibly correct an issue introduced by a game patch. Thanks for the info though!

I think I'm going to give up on playing online. Seems pretty silly to me to require online play to access content in what has always been a single player game, but whatever. I'll just hope the next season brings the goblins to single player play, I guess. Not like one player's issues matter anyway :P

Thanks all for your help!
RequiemLux
Sand Maggot
1125 | 288
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
Zuulrethad wrote:Seems pretty silly to me to require online play to access content in what has always been a single player game, but whatever.

To be honest I don't think it's silly and I don't really get this point, at least not when in the context of MXL. The mod has had realm-only content for a lot of its history: there were weapons, armors, runewords, amulets, rings, jewels and cotw that had been accessibile only via realm... personally I'm looking forward to possible realm-only content like seasonal events, special dungeons and drops in the future. Even D2 had those and in recent history MXL had basically none of that with the exception of end-of-cycle special seasons (Chaos, Goblin). If implemented well I think it could be a great feature for TSW to further enhance the online side of things, togheter with all the rest (trade qol, NotArmory, anti-cheat system, more/better servers, etc..). MP players have to contend with internet issues, servers restart time, unwanted rollbacks (luckly rare), stuck characters, GS not avaible in their zone, best GS choice being down or having trouble, basically dead trades for non-ladder, having to start from scratch at every season to have the best MP experience and all these sort of things... There's nothing wrong in my opinion into having realm-only content that makes the experience more worthwhile on TSW; and as I've said I'd welcome it if we ever decide to cultivate this additional branch.
• Troubleshooting for MXL Sigma
• Installation Guide for MXL Sigma
"It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that things are difficult." -Seneca
Zuulrethad
Stone Warrior
33 | 3
Common Popularity Badge
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
RequiemLux wrote:
Zuulrethad wrote: MP players have to contend with internet issues, servers restart time, unwanted rollbacks (luckly rare), stuck characters, GS not avaible in their zone, best GS choice being down or having trouble, basically dead trades for non-ladder, having to start from scratch at every season to have the best MP experience and all these sort of things

That's all fair, except for this. I've played D2 offline for 20 years with all kinds of mods including the oldschool Median versions because of these issues you listed. To me, this is a single player game and works perfectly well in that regard. Sigma looks to have shifted the emphasis to online play, and frankly I'm not happy about it. Even when the game was working fairly well for me over the past year or so, I would still get sporadic (albeit rare) lag spikes that would prevent meaningful progress in Median's endgame content that would require split second reaction time, and I never bothered to push much past normal because of it.

Furthermore, the idea of a "season" irks me, and I simply don't play them in any game that offers them. Why should I be confined to a real-life time window to access content? I have other things going on in my life besides a game; I shouldn't be required to play it within a specific timeframe to fully enjoy it. What if I come into the season too late, say one week before the next reset? I don't get to progress nearly as far as someone who was fortunate enough to begin playing at season start.

Obviously, online games have been doing this since the dawn of the internet (see any MMO) but it doesn't make it sit any better with me that a game I've been playing for a decade suddenly requires me to adhere to this same model when it used to be fully accessible offline.

Of course, I realize this is a free product, so I honestly don't expect much of anything from it. I'm disappointed that I probably won't get to fully engage in its features anymore (if another patch doesn't fix the lag issues) and likely won't play it as a result, but I am thankful to the developers for the fun I've had over the past 10 years or so.

Anyway, I appreciate all the feedback and support I've gotten in this thread. I may keep periodically trying to play, but I've lost a lot of steam over the past few days. Thanks again all --- Happy hunting!
Bestendigo
Lava Lord
95 | 21
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
@Zuulrethad 100% agree with what you said. I dont have lag in TSW most of the time, its fine usually, but sometimes there's lag of course too. Just sometimes. Anyway there are many SP players and no idea why they're treated like they're worse players. Like 60% of all MXL players play SP only.

Basically if you want to enjoy 100% of the mod you're forced to play online. I would keep playing SP but Goblins interested me so i started to play on TSW. Why they're not on SP? Even /players x is disabled for SP.....