Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
Javalad wrote:OK thats done. I'll see how it goes. By coincidence, I have just bought an old PC with XP installed for running another old game. Seems XP is still in demand with a lot of people.

The Median XL Launcher is not compatible with WindowsXP

Javalad wrote:Made no difference :(. I'm wondering if patch installed properly. I don't know how to uninstall it. I'd like to try installing with AV switched off.

• If you have an Nvidia GPU try the following setting in the Nvidia Control Panel:
    ► Check Auto-select

• Set Diablo II.exe to run as an Administrator and in compatibility mode with Windows XP (Service Pack 3) and the Launcher as an Administrator. Try also restarting your PC.
  • Make sure you are running the game in English. If you are interested in playing the game in your language take a look here: Sigma Translations.
  • Make sure that your antivirus/security-suit is not preventing the mod from working correctly, consider whitelisting it.

If none of the above has solved the problems you are experiencing, read the following section:

Data Execution Prevention (DEP)

For a clear explaination about Windows Data Execution Prevention and why this error occurs and relates to MXL, read the insight provided by ryunp: Technical Support Resources.

To remedy this situation it will be needed to add Diablo2 related .exe(s) in the DEP exeptions list, here three methods on how to (is recommended to use them in order from 1 to 3 and only if the previous method has failed. For example, if the 1st method didn't work try the 2nd one):

1st Method - Using Windows GUI (easier method, but results are not guaranteed 100%):

'right click' on ComputerPropertiesAdvanced system settings'Advanced tab', in Performance section click on Settings...'Data Execution Prevention tab' check "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select:" → click on Add → find Diablo II.exe and Game.exe in Diablo2 directory (a.k.a. the installation folder) and add them → ApplyOkRestart the PC.

2nd Method - Tool assisted method (just a bit more steps/reading + a small download):

[step a] - Download (from here) d2mxl_dep_reset.bat (right click, 'save as') and run as Administrator to delete any corrupted registry entries. (courtesy of ryunp)
[step b] -'right click' on ComputerPropertiesAdvanced system settings'Advanced tab', in Performance section click on Settings...'Data Execution Prevention tab' check "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select:" → click on Add → find Diablo II.exe and Game.exe in Diablo2 directory (a.k.a. the installation folder) and add them → ApplyOkRestart the PC.

3rd Method - Turning on DEP only for essential Windows programs and services:

make sure you are on the latest Median Launcher version and do the following:
'right click' on ComputerPropertiesAdvanced system settings'Advanced tab', in Performance section click on Settings...'Data Execution Prevention tab' check "Choose Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only" → ApplyOkRestart the PC

• Still getting the error when clicking the "PLAY" button? As with most of the problems occurring, a clean reinstall might solve it (reinstall Diablo 2 outside of "Program Files"): uninstall both the Launcher and Diablo2+LoD, make sure your PC has not leftovers of Median and Diablo2 (use a cleaning software if needed, like Iobit Uninstaller for example). Restart the PC and install Diablo2+LoD again, make sure it runs fine, then download and install (running the installer as an Administrator) the latest iteration of the Median Launcher.
• Troubleshooting for MXL Sigma
• Installation Guide for MXL Sigma
"It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that things are difficult." -Seneca
Javalad
Thunder Beetle
57 | 3
This is what I see when I go into my NVidia control panel. I don't see the auto select option shown on your pic.

I have set all my exe files to run as administrator and I put the D2 files in the exceptions box using method one.

I also did a system restore to last Wednesday (25th) hoping that the launcher file would start at 1.8 and then update to version 2 in the hope that my installation got corrupted somehow, but it just went straight to version 2 without uploading it again. Unfortunately none of these things have helped and my game still keeps crashing.
lynxxyarly
Prowler
19 | 0
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Great Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
This fixed it for me:

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=22704

ACCESS_VIOLATION (c0000005) • "Failed to retrieve process"

If you get this error only upon closing the game, try the following: find Game.exe in your "Diablo II" folder and set it to run as an Administrator and in compatibility mode with Windows XP (Service Pack 3) or alternatively Windows 7. (Revert back these changes if they don't solve the issue).