[Guide] Median XL 2.0 with D2DX: New Glide wrapper

Need help installing the mod?
Imperius
Gravedigger
182 | 5
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Fenric wrote:Hi, really enjoying the higher fps. It's mostly working great, but whenever I close the game, I get: UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: ACCESS_VIOLATION (0000005)

It's not a huge problem to close out the error when it pops up after closing the game, but would be nice if it didn't pop up.

Set compatibility mode to Windows 7 or XP and run it with -dxnocompatmodefix option.
Fenric
Thunder Beetle
58 | 0
Imperius wrote:
Fenric wrote:Hi, really enjoying the higher fps. It's mostly working great, but whenever I close the game, I get: UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: ACCESS_VIOLATION (0000005)

It's not a huge problem to close out the error when it pops up after closing the game, but would be nice if it didn't pop up.

Set compatibility mode to Windows 7 or XP and run it with -dxnocompatmodefix option.

Thank you.
Wotan
Astral Guardian
1926 | 159
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Can you run the wrapper through the MXL launcher? I managed to make it work through the .exe, but the launcher is stuck on black screen and not responding.
The game launches really slow. Is that normal?
I get error whenever I exit the game and/or alt+tabbing when mulling (playing windowed mode). - fixed with the line that is mentioned above. The rest of the points remain.
fixer_m
Stygian Watcher
42 | 15
Great Popularity Badge
Wotan wrote:Can you run the wrapper through the MXL launcher?

have you tried this?
fixer_m wrote:I assume this should work:
1. Choose 3dfx option in MXL Launcher
2. Copy config file into D2 folder and rename it to d2dx.cfg and change this option: noresmod=true
So MXL Launcher will run the game with 3dfx option and required noresmod flag will be set via config file.
Jasdero
Thunder Beetle
53 | 0
I tried to play through the MXL Launcher (with d2dx wrapper). Works 1000 times better! I convinced of this.
1) When I was start the game through game.exe with the -w option (to run in windowed mode without having to press Alt+Enter each time), the game started in a very small window. I think the game ignored the d2dx config, I don't know how else to explain it. So I always started game in full screen and press Alt+Enter each time. Only in this way d2dx worked as it should.
2) When playing in windowed mode, after Alt+Tab the game was minimized every time. It was very annoying.

Now I tried running d2dx through the MXL Launcher.
1) If the checkbox "Run the game in windowed mode" is checked in the launcher, then the game always starts automatically in windowed mode with the settings from d2dx. This is great!
2) And after alt+tab - game is no longer minimized !! Although if i start the game through the default fullscreen, and then press Alt+Enter to switch to windowed mode, then the game will still be minimized after Alt+Tab. but that doesn't matter anymore, since I am now playing in windowed mode by default.

And there are no errors after exiting the game, since on the shortcut game.exe there is a compatibility mode with Windows XP (SP3) and in the d2dx config nocompatmodefix=true
Azathoth
Stone Warrior
32 | 1
So basically this makes 60FPS possible but removes wide resolution? I'm not sure I like the trade-off so much :(

Tried reshade to stretch it but could not find anything there. Anyone know of a sure way to stretch this? I hate having a box in the middle of my screen.
Edited by Azathoth 2 years.
Wotan
Astral Guardian
1926 | 159
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
How do you uninstall it without fucking up your diablo? Cause I replaced the 3dglide dll back and it fucked up my diablo. Wont start from the launcher, wont start from the exe and when I run the video test, violation error pops up.
Jitan, Come On
Pit Knight
115 | 7
Azathoth wrote:So basically this makes 60FPS possible but removes wide resolution? I'm not sure I like the trade-off so much :(

Tried reshade to stretch it but could not find anything there. Anyone know of a sure way to stretch this? I hate having a box in the middle of my screen.

Do you really prefer squished image over regular square window?
fixer_m
Stygian Watcher
42 | 15
Great Popularity Badge
Wotan wrote:How do you uninstall it without fucking up your diablo? Cause I replaced the 3dglide dll back and it fucked up my diablo. Wont start from the launcher, wont start from the exe and when I run the video test, violation error pops up.

Removing glide3x.dll from D2 folder and removing -3dfx launch option should be enough.
As well as you can replace it with Sven's glide3x.dll to switch to his old wrapper.
Wotan
Astral Guardian
1926 | 159
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
I had to make a clean install, cause everything went to shits. You'd think that replacing the file and deleting the lines would suffice, but nah.
Anyways I made a clean install and the game still doesnt start. Again can't run the d2 video test. This is crazy.
► Show Spoiler

Restarted my PC... and it started. Probably the memory wasnt dumped.