Info:

Kernel: 5.4.0-104-generic x86_64 bits: 64
Desktop: Xfce 4.16.0 Distro: Linux Mint 20.3 Una

Graphics:
Device-1: NVIDIA GP108 [GeForce GT 1030] driver: nvidia v: 390.144
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.13 driver: nvidia
unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,nouveau,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GT 1030/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 390.144

Been fighting this for over a week. several timeshifts and reinstalls later, i cant seem to find anything useful to try. This is after a week of troubleshooting to find i had a bad ram stick. Im at the end of my linux brain power.

-running patch 1.14d. should i be using 1.13c?
-tried the sound files, didnt work
-winecfg is set to win7, however in the d2 folder file D2220316.txt says :
2022-03-16 11:23:40
11:23:40.168 D2VideoTest running under Windows XP (Version 6.010)
11:23:40.168 Vendor: AMD
11:23:40.168 Version: {Unknown} (Type 0, Family F, Model 8, Stepping 2, Brand 0)
11:23:40.185 Speed: Approx. 3400 MHz
11:23:40.185 Total Physical Memory: 2048.00MB
so i dont know if it actually is launching as win7

-i am not sure if i am supposed to be using the launcher or just using game.exe or d2.exe to launch properly. They all have the same result.
-one instance of the c00005 error used an actual wine fault window and said this error was related to Glide. Which is not being used.
-there is no config file for d2 folder as far as i know. Would be nice to be able to hard set some setting, for simplification.
- i use the nvidia 390 drivers being most stable
-might be able to revert to open source driver since i finally remembered how to turn off compositing. the screen flicker got old fast.
-if i open program filesx86 as root, d2 folder is not there.
-using wine stable from wine hq which is wine7 i believe. tried using POL manual install, that was a fail. would have been nice to have the front end for wine version changing.
- sometimes launcher give this error:
[2022-03-17 10:42:37] getRegError: Failed to getReg: 0080:err:ole:start_rpcss Failed to start RpcSs service
0080:err:ole:start_rpcss Failed to start RpcSs service

[2022-03-17 10:42:37] TypeError: Cannot read property 'result' of undefined
at result (/tmp/.mount_medianAMnAG7/resources/app.asar/webpack:/src/main/helpers/reg.ts:239:56)

- i can open the D2 folder itself as root. gives bad generic character file. NOT opening as root my character saves. Is root giving a different save path?
Edited by Angrydobie 2 years.
void
Shadowgate Totem
1771 | 97
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Hello, I'm running it on Linux with this setup:

-Regular LoD install using the Lutris program (Wine version: lutris-fshack-6-x86_64)
-D2Launcher to install Median updates with: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=50842&hilit=d2launcher

I only use that launcher to install the updates.
To run the game, I use Lutris.

Errors are very rare, and probably system-independent. Very happy with it.
Angrydobie
Dark Huntress
11 | 1
@void

i havent used lutris yet. i can install D2 itself flawlessly. Only when modding to Median do any errors occur.
I downloaded the D2 launcher, no idea what to actually do with the files.
void
Shadowgate Totem
1771 | 97
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Angrydobie wrote:@void

i havent used lutris yet. i can install D2 itself flawlessly. Only when modding to Median do any errors occur.
I downloaded the D2 launcher, no idea what to actually do with the files.

Yeah, I had that too. Probably something about the Sigma files being incompatible.

If you don't want to try Lutris first, you might be able to download that WINE version by Lutris and make it work with regular WINE somehow. I have not tested or tried that, but it might be possible.

Well, admittedly, the launcher menu is a little bit confusing.
Basically, there is one "button" to download the latest MXL patch files,
and another to apply a patch of your choosing. So updating MXL happens in two separate steps.
boogoogoo
Stygian Watcher
44 | 0
if i recall correctly, MXL is not compatible with patch 1.14d, so i think you should downgrade to 1.13c
Angrydobie
Dark Huntress
11 | 1
Ok moved D2 folder to c drive to place outside of program files like windows guys do. yeah didnt work.
-did fresh install to c drive with 1.13 patch. Error still there.
-"Failed to start RpcSs service" This is appearantly a Wine issue. Found a command to reinstall wine. working on that currently.

i was going to take the "day off" from this, I failed horribly.

finished wine update. Things seemed to be going great, except for the loss of audio. Cleared Den of Evil and went to check quest log and it crashed.
Angrydobie
Dark Huntress
11 | 1
OK. I got my old FM2+ mobo installed with an a10-7860k. To estimate it installs Mint just as fast as my ryzen 2600 was. Which leads me to conclude I have more hardware issues to resolve on my ryzen board. Hopefully it is just the second ramstick bad and not the board.

Anyways. As soon as I get this wireless adaptor working will try again. I think not having Nvidia at this point will be a net gain.

Old faithful hardware for the win.
Angrydobie
Dark Huntress
11 | 1
AAANDDD it still crashes. At least now it is trying to patch xdelta3 file and fails to do so. So atleast I am at a new error....

I'm about 100 hours into trying to get this Mod to work. I'm starting to think it just isn't going to.
Jampula
Amazon Warrior
1677 | 91
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
You are from US, just buy some cheap used comp that can actually play the games. I've tried a lot of Linux "fixes" and usually they are more trouble than worth.
Angrydobie
Dark Huntress
11 | 1
Interestingly, when d2 folder is opened with root, the game launches with audio but bad generic character file. It seems root wants a save folder in a different location.