FIX: For "UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: ACCESS_VIOLATION (c0000005)"

Need help installing the mod?
Nantuc
Stygian Watcher
42 | 8
Hi everyone,

I struggled with this error every time I exited my Diablo 2 game since the early versions of Median XL. Today I finally had enough and decided to search the internet for every remedy I could find. I finally found a working solution. I hope it works for you.

My computer specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5750GE CPU
RAM: 64GB Ram DDR4-3200 / PC4-25600
SSD: 2TB NVMe Samsung 980 Pro SSD
GPU: AMD Radeon Vega (Cezanne) 512 MBytes DDR4 SDRAM

Game Video Mode:
3DFX Glide

Solution:
1. Add the Diablo2 "Game.exe" to DEP exception.
https://i.imgur.com/cz8BdGr.pngexception
Requires a Restart

2. Set the Sigma Launcher shortcut to Compatibility Mode for "Windows 7"

3. Set the Sigma Launcher and Diablo2 "Game.exe" to "Run as Administrator" in the Compatibility Mode settings.

That's it!
Diaco
Void Archon
880 | 43
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
hero <3
JayQ2k
Fallen
1 | 0
For completeness sake, the reason why this happens: Installing Median-XL actually downgrades the Diablo II Game.exe to some 1.13 version that is not fully compatible with Windows 7, 8 and 10. So whilst the symptom might be gone after these 'fixes' it is unclear what happens beneath the surface.

Most Mod creators don't want to deal with 1.14 patches and Median-XL actually went for a downgrade to a compatible version.
Muilpeer
Daystar
667 | 23
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Sadly for me this didn't work. Reset and everything.
xpucoo
Abomination
158 | 4
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Just set Game.exe to Compatibility - Windows XP SP3 and check "Run this program as administrator" and enjoy ! ;)
Muilpeer
Daystar
667 | 23
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
xpucoo wrote:Just set Game.exe to Compatibility - Windows XP SP3 and check "Run this program as administrator" and enjoy ! ;)

When I do that and launch the game it tells me that D2DX has discovered an issue and has auto-corrected these settings for me, turning compatibility settings off again...
xpucoo
Abomination
158 | 4
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Muilpeer wrote:
xpucoo wrote:Just set Game.exe to Compatibility - Windows XP SP3 and check "Run this program as administrator" and enjoy ! ;)

When I do that and launch the game it tells me that D2DX has discovered an issue and has auto-corrected these settings for me, turning compatibility settings off again...

Use this d2dx - viewtopic.php?t=66782 - I don't have a problem...
Geeko
Jungle Hunter
29 | 1

Thank you - I was getting the Unhandled exception every time i click "Save & Exit" ingame, but this fixed it :D
xpucoo
Abomination
158 | 4
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Geeko wrote:

Thank you - I was getting the Unhandled exception every time i click "Save & Exit" ingame, but this fixed it :D

Glad I helped ! :)