Is genderswap a posibility?

Discuss Median XL!
enanoakd
Stone Warrior
34 | 2
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Hi all!

I was thinking if there is the possibility of developing something like the gender swap in the classes. It would be interesting, like in Diablo 3. Everything would be the same for stats and skills, except for the character's sprite.

What I am referring to is the possibility of the playability of:

A male Amazon (ok, we would need another name).
    A male assassin
    A female necromancer
    A female barbarian
    A sorcerer
    A female paladin
    A female druid

I do not know if this has been discussed in another thread. If so, I apologize. Thank you!
notforkeeps
Mangler
459 | 25
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
This would require finding/animating from scratch,a total of 7 sprites, plus armor looks and overlays. So, probably a non starter, since it is only cosmetic. I If you have the capabilities to render the 7 new sprites yourself and come to the devs with a at least a rough draft, maybe they would consider it.
Somnus
Joyboy
1336 | 126
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Great Showcase Badge
Bored at work? Come watch my stream!
Great Guide Badge
Created 3 complete character guides
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
notforkeeps wrote:This would require finding/animating from scratch,a total of 7 sprites, plus armor looks and overlays. So, probably a non starter, since it is only cosmetic. I If you have the capabilities to render the 7 new sprites yourself and come to the devs with a at least a rough draft, maybe they would consider it.

Total of 7? oh my dear keeps. check this out.
notforkeeps
Mangler
459 | 25
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Somnus wrote:
notforkeeps wrote:This would require finding/animating from scratch,a total of 7 sprites, plus armor looks and overlays. So, probably a non starter, since it is only cosmetic. I If you have the capabilities to render the 7 new sprites yourself and come to the devs with a at least a rough draft, maybe they would consider it.

Total of 7? oh my dear keeps. check this out.

I didn't mean total animations :P . Each of the animations is an individual sprite, or each sprite has a multitude of animations?
If the latter than yeah, it would require rendering 19x15 sprites per class per gear variation.
enanoakd
Stone Warrior
34 | 2
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Right, so it would take a lot of time. I would like to try to do it myself but I have no knowledge of which programs were used to make those sprites, the 3D modeling at least. I just use Photoshop.

Forget about it! It was just a dream, lol.
notforkeeps
Mangler
459 | 25
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
You would have to ask Jetaman. He is around here sometimes on forum.
masochista
Core Lord
395 | 28
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Oh, remember about voices! It will be hard to pull of same atmosphere of a classic game with new ones
notforkeeps
Mangler
459 | 25
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
masochista wrote:Oh, remember about voices! It will be hard to pull of same atmosphere of a classic game with new ones

also true.
Primarch
Djinn
539 | 29
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Legendary Supporter Badge
Donated 25 times
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Or perhaps just make low drop rate charms that give doppelzon NV state or other character morphs.

The only conceivable issue with this would be that certain class specific items would show up as invisible sprites and barbarian duel wield would cause a character freeze.

Knowing these limitations, perhaps making the default item sprite when there’s a compatibility issue something generic. (I.e. when a morphed barbarian equips an assault helmet, it shows up as a circlet on the morph’s head rather than turning invisible. Or perhaps turning an assassin’a claw into a short sword or a necro shrunken head into a buckler (invisible default would be fine too).

Now, to address the duel wielding attack animation bug if an assassin/barbarian were morphed into a class that couldn’t duel wield, perhaps there’s a simple workaround?

Some would argue this isn’t worth the time invested but I sincerely doubt this would take much time at all.

I’ve been asking for some sort of doppelzon morph for the longest time and would be so stoked to hear it was being implemented so I don’t have to play with the ugly barbarian aesthetic.
Edited by Primarch 5 years.
notforkeeps
Mangler
459 | 25
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Speed breakpoints have to come into the equation for the morphs as well.