Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Common Skill Badge
Experienced Player
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
Great Mind Badge
A Median XL guru... a true book of knowledge
Thanks, but I think we should leave the class pb's of runners up on the leaderboard even if they have beaten that time with another class. That way you can race to beat the best time for your class even if it is not viable for a new WR.

Otherwise we would eventually end up with a leaderboard of necros alone.
Monkey King
264 | 20
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Contest Badge
Has won a forum contest
I agree, keep class specific PBs. Preferrably one general leaderboard and separate ones for each class. You could even keep all times on the leaderboard, PB or not, but possibly makes suchbalance take all top places.
Segolia
Djinn
541 | 38
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
I can arrange that. I'll make separate leaderboards for them after I finish streaming.
Marco
Team Member
1952 | 1347
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Legendary Love Badge
Earned over 500 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Multiplayer Badge
Has won a multiplayer contest
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
have u guys considered allowing mh? not having it seems to add some rng factor to each speedrun and kind of stops people from reaching the full potential with a speedrun.
Monkey King
264 | 20
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Contest Badge
Has won a forum contest
the most optimal thing to do would probably involve rerolling maps and finding a good seed for you to use. Then learning the path and trying to find the fastest way. Look at Diablo 1 WR for what could possibly happen.
I'm not sure if saving seeds and reusing them is even possible on median, but removing this rng factor would make runs more consistent and more competitive.
Allowing maphack does something similar. I don't mind allowing it.

Segolia used to run vanilla so he probably has most experience. Using same rules as clod speedruns would probably be good, but nothing's stopping us from making new rules for median.
Segolia
Djinn
541 | 38
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
It has been considered, but I am extremely against it personally. The reason why are because of the following.

1) While there is the element of RNG sure, there is a way to analyze and recognize which way to go on the maps give enough investment is put into it. My main post has a link to a guide on the general ways to go on most of the areas, while stating it is not always black and white. There is a difference of skill involved in it as a result.

2) It is a 3rd party program. Generally many games will not allow for any third party program that directly affect gameplay at all unless it is designed for better functionality of the game, or to keep track of something. In Dark Souls PC, the DSFix mod is allowed so that you can tweak the game's graphics around, but you are not allowed to remove the 30 FPS cap, since doing so will affect your gameplay. In Half Life 1 and 2, you are allowed to have a units per second tracker, so that you can keep track if your bunny hopping speed.

3) Using Maphack doesn't really set a good example for us when presenting the mod to others. I can get upwards of 50 people watching me on twitch, and showing people that maphacks are encouraged in the runs would leave a sour taste in the viewer experience, and their opinions on the mod. I get enough people as is coming on my stream asking "what kind of shitty character editor is this!?!?!?!?", and likewise other ignorant statements and questions.

my $0.02
Segolia
Djinn
541 | 38
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Finished a HC speedrun today. Could of been a PB if I hadn't taken the time to constantly re-roll a blood moor shrine, as well as a few other mistakes. Oh well.

http://www.twitch.tv/kakabelnar/v/18554215
Heathen
Sucks at guitar!
803 | 61
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Very nice man. Very impressed.
Food
Core Lord
360 | 32
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Great Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
I'll have to check them out when I have the time. Good job by the way, the whole speedrunning idea is very nice.

EDIT:

01001010 wrote:Look at Diablo 1 WR for what could possibly happen.

If we are thinking of the same speedrun, the 3:12 one by Maciej Maselewski, you have to also consider that the speedrun was done in segments. So when you see him go down a level and find the stairs to the next level just there, that's because he rerolled the map many times and kept the best one, the same goes for the shrines he used etc.

Of course it's still impressive, but that'll never happen in a normal run.

So, while generally I find d2mr to be a life-saver against one of the most boring parts of d2, I think disallowing it in speedruns actually makes them *more* skill/knowledge based because as Segolia said, the map generator can be somewhat predictable with enough experience and knowledge, but you have to take the time to learn to understand it, which is exactly the point of a speedrun, getting to know the game in so intimate a way that you can even predict its "randomness".

Also, for a speedrun that requires crazy amounts of skill, check this out. The speedrunner (Cosmo Wright) also drops a lot of knowledge about the game while he speedruns. Really it's just amazing to see. It's about 25 minutes long so not too time consuming.
Segolia
Djinn
541 | 38
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Speaking of Diablo 1 WR. The non segmented run has just got a new WR today (Not by me)

WARNING: Text to Speech may trigger you.