Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
the lc2 and end of nightmare, from 89 to 106 here : https://www.twitch.tv/videos/496748899

106 to 112 here : https://www.twitch.tv/videos/497102836 , so far it was a breeze . current progress : act 4 Hell , got all charms available so far , Heading for The sacred worldstone key and more xp , to get to 115 and the next charms .

112 to 119 here : https://www.twitch.tv/videos/497331276 . it went surprisingly well considering that the gear used was quite crapy . current progress : level 119 , got all charms available so far . will continue with some 120 ubers

live stream here : https://www.twitch.tv/chucknorised

Stats allocation

Strength : enough for gear (zero after you get some charms on)
Dexterity : enough for gear (zero after you get some charms on)
Vitality : 0
Energy: all you can get

Skillplan

so far (up to level 106) i have maxed all skills in the Warlock tree , 1-pointer DA and Superbeast , so i got 26 skill points to spare . i did not use those spare skill points yet as i did not really need them somewhere else , but as i will proceed trough the game , i believe that i will need better tankiness as so far the build is not much of a tank , so besides dumping the points into Blessed life after 115 , i think i will probably go for Demiurge and Scourges soon . we will see

later edit (after 106) : got 1-pointer Scourges and dumped some points into Demiurge . the stats boost is nice to have , also those reanimated angels are great in crowded places . they are quite tanky and also deal some nice damage

Gear

Belt: Rainbow RW -> TU Moonwrap -> will replace with an Ornate craft when i will have enough str to wear it -> Ashaera's armor
Gloves: TU Pollice Verso -> low ilvl Ornate craft
Boots : TU Rabbit foot -> honorifics -> low ilvl Ornate craft
Helm : rare -> Ilmatar -> TU Skull lord / replace with TU The Allseeing Eye if you want, if there is more str needed to equip lol crafts in late Nightmare -> will replace with an Ornate craft when i will have enough stats to wear all gear
Armor: Lumen Arcana RW -> Victory RW/the TU you get after rescuing Cain -> TU Dragon's Blood (Tier 3) , will update to t4 when i get enough stats ; so far the double str requirement needed between t3 and t4 looks like a waste , i prefer dumping more stats into energy -> will replace with an Ornate craft . Latest edit : i have found a Hypersurface to replace my TU armor . for the moment it suits well -> Hide of the Basilisk
Weapon: rare -> Prophecy rw -> TU Voidstream -> Dead Lake's Lady
Shield : rare -> Asmodai rw -> TU Ivory tower -> Ornate craft
Rings: rares with %spell damage or/and -%enemy lightning resist
Amulet: rare with +to all skills and %spell damage or/and -%enemy lightning resist -> Black dwarf
Sockets: perfect gems for smaxing resistances , p.rubies/p.sapphires in weapon (life or mana after kill) , Ort crafted jewels for the low ilvl crafts .
On switch : Pax Mystica - teleport before level 90
MO : weapon and armors : %lightning spell damage and %physical/magical spell damage -> rings and amulet : 25 %mana regen each , flat damage reduction . leftover space : %spell damage or %resistances

merc: i got an Abjurer for more unholy caster flavour

i will update the above as i advance trough the game .
Edited by ChuckNoRis 4 years.
flubbucket
Spam Gives Me Shiny Lips
1515 | 15
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Thanks
Waffle1209
Sasquatch
62 | 2
Running a similar setup to yours with a few differences. What are your thoughts on the following:

Armor: Queen of Glass - same cast speed as Dragon's Blood but -enemy res as well. No +vit though not sure how important that is.
Gloves and Boots: I went with honorifics with +light spell damage, energy, all res so far.
Belt: Went with Aerin Orbiter. Little less spell damage but adds all res and energy
Manu300000
Grubber
321 | 8
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Hi chuck, can you tell me if mindflay has a next hit delay? Is it even worth to get to 4 beams later?
If it has one, more than 2 beams are enough imo. Im at lvl 125 and i dont know what i should think of this build. I have -140 enemy light res
281 spell dmg , full energy and its feels a bit underwhelming.
ChuckNoRis
Flying Polar Buffalo
3006 | 81
Great Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Waffle1209 wrote:Armor: Queen of Glass - same cast speed as Dragon's Blood but -enemy res as well. No +vit though not sure how important that is.
yes , Queen of glass is also valid , but it only boosts the Mind flay . Dragon's blood on the other hand is boosting both Slayer and SoD which are an important part of your total damage . The points for vitality are good to have , since your hard points are not invested there at that stage of the game while the build is not much of a tank. Also , there is the life after demon killed which helps in some spots . i would say that they are somewhat equal , it just depends on what you wish to boost more . If you want more flat mana and -%enemy lightning resist , yes , the Queen is better -> if you want to boost the magic damage spells and want more hp pool /hp after demon killed , then the Dragon's is better .

either way , after level 110 it will be replaced with a craft or something else anyway so it does not matter much

Waffle1209 wrote:Gloves and Boots: I went with honorifics with +light spell damage, energy, all res so far.
yes , the honorifics are valid . on the gloves however , the Pollice verso provides a nice regen so that you won't have to worry about going low mana/low hp

Waffle1209 wrote:Belt: Went with Aerin Orbiter. Little less spell damage but adds all res and energy
again , it only boosts Mind Flay . imho a honorific would be better if you don't want to go straight for the Moonwrap .

Manu300000 wrote:Hi chuck, can you tell me if mindflay has a next hit delay? Is it even worth to get to 4 beams later?
If it has one, more than 2 beams are enough imo. Im at lvl 125 and i dont know what i should think of this build. I have -140 enemy light res
well i will start by saying that i haven't played Mind Flay unholy casters since a few years ago (2012 iirc ) . The last unholy caster i have played was in 2017 and at that time i have used Stormcall as main attack starting with mid game
Regarding the beams in Sigma 1.3 , this "shotgun" change to the spell benefits from more targets , so the more targets , the more damage you deal , even for single targets . However , i am not sure that 4 targets are mandatory , i will see a bit later as i advance trough the game
ChuckNoRis
Flying Polar Buffalo
3006 | 81
Great Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
i was pleased for the progress so far , but :

i have did a few tests today with a higher level paladin in 125+ level areas in order to see what gear combos i should aim for with the build above , but unless i went for some "hard to get" gear parts (such as a Burried Hawk amulet with Spirit of Vengeance oskill, UMOs , etc ) , the build was far from being impressive and i was a bit dissapointed ; after all this fuss about this build being resurected i was expecting much more from it .

It does ok-ish vs small packs and single targets , but the AoE is quite poor , not something that you can call a (fast) farmer . the defense is also far from something you can call tanky , even at 50%DR and some fat hp regen per second + Demiurge on , thank god for the reanimates ...

imho the slayers need to deal at least twice the current damage , so that they may actualy kill something fast enough to trigger some usefull chain lightnings and the Mind Flay damage could also use a 20-25%-ish more damage boost in order to rise to the expectations .

since you must invest into Slayer for more Mind flay beams + Storm Lord for the stats and tainted blood for the defense/regen, there are not enough points left to keep SoD valid after level 120 , therefore it stays as 1-pointer , which is useless -> it might as well be replaced with something else imho , maby with some passive that eats just only a few points in order to boost the build over all , some kind of artifice mastery/Symbiosis .

the gearing options are also not that many available out there , most of them are quite default options

i hope the unholy caster will get more boost in a future patch so i may continue the build . for the moment i will put it on hold and go for something else , maby a PedoBear druid

my 2 cents .

Manu300000 wrote: Im at lvl 125 and i dont know what i should think of this build. I have -140 enemy light res
i had the same feeling
Edited by ChuckNoRis 4 years.
Ekital
Grubber
310 | 11
Legendary Supporter Badge
Donated 25 times
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
ChuckNoRis wrote:i was pleased for the progress so far , but :

i have did a few tests today with a higher level paladin in 125+ level areas in order to see what gear combos i should aim for with the build above , but unless i went for some "hard to get" gear parts (such as a Burried Hawk amulet with Spirit of Vengeance oskill, UMOs , etc ) , the build was far from being impressive and i was a bit dissapointed ; after all this fuss about this build being resurected i was expecting much more from it .

It does ok-ish vs small packs and single targets , but the AoE is quite poor , not something that you can call a (fast) farmer . the defense is also far from something you can call tanky , even at 50%DR and some fat hp regen per second + Demiurge on , thank god for the reanimates ...

imho the slayers need to deal at least twice the current damage , so that they may actualy kill something fast enough to trigger some usefull chain lightnings and the Mind Flay damage could also use a 20-25%-ish more damage boost in order to rise to the expectations .

since you must invest into Slayer for more Mind flay beams + Storm Lord for the stats and tainted blood for the defense/regen, there are not enough points left to keep SoD valid after level 120 , therefore it stays as 1-pointer , which is useless -> it might as well be replaced with something else imho , maby with some passive that eats just only a few points in order to boost the build over all , some kind of artifice mastery/Symbiosis .

the gearing options are also not that many available out there , most of them are quite default options

i hope the unholy caster will get more boost in a future patch so i may continue the build . for the moment i will put it on hold and go for something else , maby a PedoBear druid

my 2 cents .

I honestly think that there are very few builds that are truly tanky. I believe all spellcasters outside of maybe neutraldin have 0 survivability in the endgame and follow the mantra "kill or be killed". This is the problem with Median balance right now.
ChuckNoRis
Flying Polar Buffalo
3006 | 81
Great Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
yes , but if it's a glass cannon , i want at least to have it capable to kill with a fast speed . i don't mind playing glass cannons , but this is just glass , no cannon . hardly a pistol
Ruubel
Onyx Knight
636 | 12
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
ChuckNoRis wrote:yes , but if it's a glass cannon , i want at least to have it capable to kill with a fast speed . i don't mind playing glass cannons , but this is just glass , no cannon . hardly a pistol

I tried this build by myself already, in short it was a poorer version of ooa necro: a bit of tankier but dps is not good enough for surviving. Ooa necro in his fragility at least can kill fast enough.
Manu300000
Grubber
321 | 8
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
ChuckNoRis wrote:yes , but if it's a glass cannon , i want at least to have it capable to kill with a fast speed . i don't mind playing glass cannons , but this is just glass , no cannon . hardly a pistol

ok so im not the only one who thinks like that. sad. Putting so much effort in a char and then - as you said - no cannon :D ... O-)