Onyx Knight
600 | 26
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Currently farming duncraig, teganze, K3BA and TA with zero problems, using pretty much all T4 gear still. Starting to get harder with 120 bosses since Veil King dies more, but all other content so far as been a breeze.

Finally got my OoA wand, it makes farming fun. Super nice to have in Teganze.
ChuckNoRis
Flying Polar Buffalo
3006 | 81
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
i have run some tests today with a higher level necro to see what path i should take .

one or 2 skills maxed in early game need to be sacrificed for maxing the others later on due to the increased max skill levels gained from charms , and since the safety is very important in mid/late game , you cannot lose the benefits of Death ward and embalming , death pact is boosting both the spell damage and Veil king's HP so it must also stay , therefore Boneyard is the obvious choice to leave as 1-pointer while maxing the others .

you are now at the point where you must pick some other physical(/magic) spell oskill to use as main attack . OoA is very nice indeed , Magic Missiles also , Psicrown can also be decent , but there is also the melee option , by going for Exorcism (from crafted necro shield +
Shrill Sacrament
Shrill Sacrament
Chain Boots (Sacred)

Defense: (1625 - 1995) to (1762 - 2162)
Required Level: 100
Required Strength: 575
Item Level: 105
Exorcism: +50% Total Damage
10% Chance to cast level 20 Nightmare on Melee Attack
(10 to 40)% Movement Speed
+(10 to 30)% to Physical/Magic Spell Damage
+(9 to 13) to Exorcism
+(120 to 170)% Enhanced Defense
(15 to 25)% to Vitality
+(40 to 100) Life after each Demon Kill
Socketed (4)
) .

and i am still not sure if Dream eater will be nerfed or not ...

OoA is the cheapest and fastest option to jump at from early game , so yes , i might continue The Seer based on it .
Semigloss
Onyx Knight
600 | 26
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
I agree with Boneyard at 1pt. I still find it useful even with no investment... I use it in TA and Teganze for "blind casting" at enemies in the distance.

Hadn't thought about exorcism, that might be pretty interesting. I'm half way to
Oris' Herald

Oris' Herald
Scepters

'ArcIgnVenFulGlaGul'
Runeword Level: 100
Orb Effects Applied to this Item are Doubled
+(2 to 3) to All Skills
+5% Bonus to Spell Focus
15% Attack Speed
35% Cast Speed
+(15 to 20)% to Physical/Magic Spell Damage
+(30 to 35) to Magic Missiles
+1000 Defense
25% to Energy
Physical Resist 10%
already, will probably test that out tonight.
ChuckNoRis
Flying Polar Buffalo
3006 | 81
Great Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Semigloss wrote:Hadn't thought about exorcism, that might be pretty interesting
indeed it's nice . it hits 5 times per second , and lasts around 20+ seconds , in case anything survives that long . it's a nice hit and run skill , quite useful when fighting strong uber bosses that you can't normally tank
Semigloss
Onyx Knight
600 | 26
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
What's the damage potential?
ChuckNoRis
Flying Polar Buffalo
3006 | 81
Great Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
printscreens taken with dream eater at 13 points . exorcism screenshot taken with shrill sacrament on , without it it's around 6k .

with more charms on and better gear , the numbers can go much much higher (the repetition was intended)

the slayers may also be usefull in places where you can't really tank. they could provide a nice combo along with exorcism . i think i will go for Kabraxis tomorrow with this combo to see how it goes :)) it seams like one of the perfect spots to test

good night!

► Show Spoiler

edit on 24.01 :

► Show Spoiler
Edited by ChuckNoRis 4 years.
ChuckNoRis
Flying Polar Buffalo
3006 | 81
Great Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
i just came back from some further testing with the below facts :

- the path from level 1 to 119 is nice , i think the setup on page 1 is the lucky winner , those reanimates are just what the build needs
- doing 120 ubers untwinked gets you the following : great farming potential via OoA oskill (yet this was available long before the recent malice tree rework , so it's not something new ) ,it runs smooth and easy trough Duncraig or Teganze even with the early game gear on and just a crafted wand with OoA (last video streamed on the first page) - the other physical/magic oskills available are not coming close to OoA's results , which are also very cheap to access . Magic Missiles is decent , but you need some Teganze runs for it ; Slayer is worthless , even compared to 1-pointer Boneyard , Exorcism forces you to go melee to apply the first hit and spread damage , and that's not actualy what you want to do at 50k defence

- getting charms from bosses that are hitting hard is very annoying , as you are somewhere below 50k defence (and almost no damage reduction) and every hit in the face you get can get you killed , so you end up killed 999 times to get a charm like weather control .

- trading an important part of the energy in order to boost the strength and equip heavy armors for higher defence lowers your damage quite a lot , so it's not worth it, and keeps you stuck between nothing and nowhere . twinking gear doesn't help much either, you just reduce the amount of deaths from 999 to 888 .

so , to conclude : if going for Physical/magic damage , the Malice tree ends up to be a support tree , with Dream eater for healing . it would make no importance if it will ever get nerfed or not , nothing will change , you can't do much in mid-end game with or without it . it's easy to go farming with such a build and cheap to gear , but those are the only good things about it .

i will rest my case , it's as far as i had patience to take him trough . the top tier nephalem rifts are too far ahead.

if someone figures out a better path for mid game where a physical/magic malice necro can actually tank something after 120 and also deal good damage at the same time , i'm all ears , until then i will put it to rest and play another character .

good night !
Edited by ChuckNoRis 4 years.
Semigloss
Onyx Knight
600 | 26
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Im currently Level 123, with Veil King is my tank and I main with Dream Eater. Its worked OK so far, been able to do every 120 (and below) challenge except for Kabraxis and Baal, pretty much for the reasons you mentioned above combined with VK can't survive. However, I'm in all T4 gear still except for
Hypersurface
Hypersurface
Leather Armor (Sacred)

Defense: (8272 - 8918) to (8579 - 9257)
Required Level: 80
Required Strength:
Item Level: 1
+(172 to 200)% Enhanced Defense
+2000 Defense
+200 to Energy
+(401 to 500) to Life
+(101 to 150) Life after each Kill
Requirements -40%
Socketed (6)

Universal Law
(Assassin Psionic Set)
because im SSF and have terrible RNG lol, so I'd say its a great starter build.
But I'm starting to feel the "wall".

I'm going to keep at it to ding 125 and see how those ubers fair... going to guess not well though haha.
Maje92
Cultist
21 | 0
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions

:)
ChuckNoRis
Flying Polar Buffalo
3006 | 81
Great Posting Badge