Totem Hybrid Necromancer

bageren
Prowler
17 | 0
Should I just keep putting points in energy, or is it at some point not worth it anymore, so I should spend them on vitality instead?
Crash
Madawc
6799 | 327
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Showcase Badge
Median XL Broadcaster
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
bageren wrote:Should I just keep putting points in energy, or is it at some point not worth it anymore, so I should spend them on vitality instead?

All leftovers go there
JetJet
Abomination
149 | 0
bageren wrote:Should I just keep putting points in energy, or is it at some point not worth it anymore, so I should spend them on vitality instead?

if you're following this guide put enough stat for gear and all into energy, the other summoner guide could use a bit vitality since merc does all dmg.
nico27
Dark Huntress
12 | 0
Trying this build. Few questions:

- Does life after each kill apply for totem/summon kills?
- Is there a point in stacking minion resists past the 75% cap to prevent enemy pierce? Does it work like with your own resists? Otherwise, I hit the cap pretty easily, I think I should mix my crafting with more fascinating crafts/bless, feels a bit of a waste to use magical just for the life.

Few comments also,
I'm now in the midgame heading for endgame (I have about 15 charms), with mostly crafts and lazarus chest which I was incredibly lucky to find very early on, exept for the staff, because I couldn't find a damn marrow staff to craft, so I kept my early choice: ngozi runeword (for the hounfor/pagan rites Oskills, +20% spell dmg), which I find really useful and powerful for being a very cheap item (kra rw, made it while still in terror). So, the comments: I tried playing with jinn at the start but recently I changed for death ward because I found that I was so much squishier than my army so whenever enemies got to me I just died very easily while my minions were tanking no problem. Also, the jinns turned out to be the weakest summon (excluding the lamia which I don't even summon), they died so much faster than the skeletal flayers. Maybe later on I will need that pierce but for this stage of the game I find my damage quite good enough, so I chose to focus on my own defense and it made a difference, it allows for a more relaxed gameplay throughout the middlegame where you can kill stuff without focusing too much on maximising damage. Then, another skill that I'm using is Black Mass, which I saw you put 1 point into but you don't mention it anywhere (didn't see all the videos to check whether you're using it). I find it very useful right after teleporting for the speed, so that the minions get faster to new targets every time.
Crash
Madawc
6799 | 327
Great Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Showcase Badge
Median XL Broadcaster
Common Guide Badge
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
nico27 wrote:Trying this build. Few questions:

- Does life after each kill apply for totem/summon kills?
- Is there a point in stacking minion resists past the 75% cap to prevent enemy pierce? Does it work like with your own resists? Otherwise, I hit the cap pretty easily, I think I should mix my crafting with more fascinating crafts/bless, feels a bit of a waste to use magical just for the life.

Few comments also,
I'm now in the midgame heading for endgame (I have about 15 charms), with mostly crafts and lazarus chest which I was incredibly lucky to find very early on, exept for the staff, because I couldn't find a damn marrow staff to craft, so I kept my early choice: ngozi runeword (for the hounfor/pagan rites Oskills, +20% spell dmg), which I find really useful and powerful for being a very cheap item (kra rw, made it while still in terror). So, the comments: I tried playing with jinn at the start but recently I changed for death ward because I found that I was so much squishier than my army so whenever enemies got to me I just died very easily while my minions were tanking no problem. Also, the jinns turned out to be the weakest summon (excluding the lamia which I don't even summon), they died so much faster than the skeletal flayers. Maybe later on I will need that pierce but for this stage of the game I find my damage quite good enough, so I chose to focus on my own defense and it made a difference, it allows for a more relaxed gameplay throughout the middlegame where you can kill stuff without focusing too much on maximising damage. Then, another skill that I'm using is Black Mass, which I saw you put 1 point into but you don't mention it anywhere (didn't see all the videos to check whether you're using it). I find it very useful right after teleporting for the speed, so that the minions get faster to new targets every time.

Life after kill does not apply to you from totem/minion kills.

75% is the cap minion res in destruction, so there's no need to roll for that or MO it once you hit that number.

If you don't yet have a crafted marrow staff, the TU marrow staff is wonderful. If you've found a way to play more comfortably, then go for it. There isn't a right or wrong way to play. HechtHeftig's summoner guide chooses Death Ward as a more defensive approach instead of Jinn.

Jinn are chosen for this setup since they give a lot of pierce, which can be very difficult to come by, but also adding a new set of meat shields to your army. The reason they always die first (I noticed this often as well, especially in Tran Athulua farming) is because they're fire immune. They didn't receive the base 30% DR (I think it was 30) that the other minions received when magic immunity was removed in the 2017 patch introduction.

As for Black Mass, I make use of it in certain areas (great for Toraja), but often am teleporting --> Boneyard --> teleport --> Boneyard so quickly that stopping for a few seconds in between each teleport just to let minions spread out wider felt too inefficient, especially since they'll be the ones taking the damage anyways. Black Mass has a funky mechanic with the rapid cast as well. It takes a moment after stopping cast before you can use another skill. I noticed it most often in Toraja when I Black Mass'd to spread Edyrem and minions around, then tried to teleport to one in front of a mob of archers right away and it took 2-3 cast animations to actually teleport.

Suggestion maybe if you're taking too much damage is to teleport to a more open area instead of closer to the enemies. Having that extra step or two of space allows your minions to spread out more easily (though not really necessary, as you might see in the Fauztinville video for Black Road. There, your goal is to make sure they're almost always on top of you, soaking up the hits. If you let them spread out, you're more likely to get nicked by a piercing necrobot laser).

Thanks for the feedback too. Hopefully it goes well from here.
nico27
Dark Huntress
12 | 0
Thanks for the answer! I already did BRC, it was pretty easy. I was dying a lot trying to do jungle-kurast-TA for the charms and farming some items/sigs. I guess I still don't have the habit of teleporting that often, which is probably the best way to avoid hits as you say. I will probably switch back to give the jinn a second chance when I feel more comfortable with the gameplay. The biggest accomplishment so far was getting judgement day charm + the upgrade at the same time. I still don't have some easy charms but that one I rocked !
Muilpeer
Daystar
667 | 23
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
nico27 wrote:Thanks for the answer! I already did BRC, it was pretty easy. I was dying a lot trying to do jungle-kurast-TA for the charms and farming some items/sigs. I guess I still don't have the habit of teleporting that often, which is probably the best way to avoid hits as you say. I will probably switch back to give the jinn a second chance when I feel more comfortable with the gameplay. The biggest accomplishment so far was getting judgement day charm + the upgrade at the same time. I still don't have some easy charms but that one I rocked !

Did you also already do the Toraja upgrade? It was with this necro that I managed to do it for the first time and it gave me such a rush! :)

Now I have to admit I switched to my pally to get some charms and decided to move the good ones back to my necro so I can start farming Sewers. It's now called Teganze, never been there before. Is the strategy still the same as in sewers?

Also, I've found a sacred Marrow staff. What would be the best stats to look for? My T6 U Marrow really already rocks!
Crash
Madawc
6799 | 327
Great Posting Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Common Showcase Badge
Median XL Broadcaster
Common Guide Badge
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
Muilpeer wrote:
nico27 wrote:Thanks for the answer! I already did BRC, it was pretty easy. I was dying a lot trying to do jungle-kurast-TA for the charms and farming some items/sigs. I guess I still don't have the habit of teleporting that often, which is probably the best way to avoid hits as you say. I will probably switch back to give the jinn a second chance when I feel more comfortable with the gameplay. The biggest accomplishment so far was getting judgement day charm + the upgrade at the same time. I still don't have some easy charms but that one I rocked !

Did you also already do the Toraja upgrade? It was with this necro that I managed to do it for the first time and it gave me such a rush! :)

Now I have to admit I switched to my pally to get some charms and decided to move the good ones back to my necro so I can start farming Sewers. It's now called Teganze, never been there before. Is the strategy still the same as in sewers?

Also, I've found a sacred Marrow staff. What would be the best stats to look for? My T6 U Marrow really already rocks!

Teganze will be more or less the same as unformed land, just with less linear pathways than the walls of the sewers, so you might have to aim your teleports a bit more carefully to allow totems to shoot around the trees. Boneyard can be great here for that reason too. Your best bet will be to grab the a3 Abjurer, gear him up with crafts for max damage output, use mostly fire totems with 1 or 2 frost totems, and boneyard as you go. This will help you get around the spirits that absorb elemental types.

For your staff, go with Fascinating craft and aim for +8 or higher nec skills (can go up to +13), good fire pierce (pierce more critical than spell damage here), and fire spell damage. Also keep an eye out for +1 max totems or minion life.
Muilpeer
Daystar
667 | 23
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
L H wrote:
Muilpeer wrote:

Teganze will be more or less the same as unformed land, just with less linear pathways than the walls of the sewers, so you might have to aim your teleports a bit more carefully to allow totems to shoot around the trees. Boneyard can be great here for that reason too. Your best bet will be to grab the a3 Abjurer, gear him up with crafts for max damage output, use mostly fire totems with 1 or 2 frost totems, and boneyard as you go. This will help you get around the spirits that absorb elemental types.

For your staff, go with Fascinating craft and aim for +8 or higher nec skills (can go up to +13), good fire pierce (pierce more critical than spell damage here), and fire spell damage. Also keep an eye out for +1 max totems or minion life.

Thanks! Would you advice orbing fire spell dmg or something else? My minion stats are already great, only thing I could add is minion life maybe.
I will try it out after I am finished painting my downstairs :)
bageren
Prowler
17 | 0
I've crafted god knows how many jewels, and I've barely been getting any with 4% fire dmg, let alone 4% fire dmg AND minion life/energy factor.

How would you rate the jewel posted below? Would you prefer one with 4% fire dmg and no minion life / energy factor over that one?