Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Patron Badge
Patreon Contributor
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
for MXL2017 you should install these Visual C++ redistributables in wine (use `sudo apt install winetricks` or something like that to install winetricks first)
Visual C++ 6.0 (maybe not needed)
winetricks vcrun6

Visual C++ 2010 (mandatory)
winetricks vcrun2010

then you should be theoretically able to run it using wine game.exe

Sigma will need Visual C++ 2010 (winetricks vcrun2017), but you'll still need launcher to play - hopefully it will be wine compatible in the future
https://tsw.vn.cz - TSW realm stats (& Quests, NotArmory, HC chars)
SwineFlu
Heretic
402 | 53
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
SteelWings wrote:...

Even though I never used WINE in my life I can point you out what might causes this error. Not gonna say anything regarding the Sigma cause I have absolutely no idea how's this things are handled there, but this is how it is for the last public MXL version.

So the message Failed to retrieve process pops up when the call to OpenProcess has been failed, although most likely the problem lies in another function call, i.e. AdjustTokenPrivileges. The reason why you don't get a different error message such as Failed AdjustTokenPrivileges is because Whist forgot to include the check if all the privileges were adjusted properly, because this function only fails when it can't adjust all of the requested process token privileges. As a conclusion I must admit that the possible reason which you have pointed out is actually correct, it's something related with the administrator rights or, if you want to be a more precise, with inability to set SeDebugPrivilege for the d2 game process.
SteelWings
Sasquatch
67 | 5
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
aahz wrote:for MXL2017 you should install these Visual C++ redistributables in wine (use `sudo apt install winetricks` or something like that to install winetricks first)
Visual C++ 6.0 (maybe not needed)
winetricks vcrun6

Visual C++ 2010 (mandatory)
winetricks vcrun2010

then you should be theoretically able to run it using wine game.exe

Sigma will need Visual C++ 2010 (winetricks vcrun2017), but you'll still need launcher to play - hopefully it will be wine compatible in the future

Thanks for the response! I had VCPP 2010 installed with my wine version.
Updating to 2017 didn't solve any problems, unfortunately, let's see if this works with release of Sigma.
SteelWings
Sasquatch
67 | 5
Great Popularity Badge
SwineFlu wrote:

That's was a good lead, thank you!
I couldn't solve it either way, but we'll see if it was addressed in MXL Sigma.

After tinkering around with wine versions and configurations I was able to get MXL Launcher working on wine. O-)
Previously I had all sorts of exceptions, presumably because Electron (framework for building Web based desktop applications) had some incompativility problems with how wine uses hard drive and mounts devices, thinking that Z: (where root is mounted) is actually a network device.
Having PlugY installed or changing D2 installation path in settings seem to throw "ENOTSUP: operation not supported on socket".

Currently I have upgraded to wine-staging (wine-4.0-rc5 (Staging)) and it solved all those exceptions.
Except, obviously, "failed to retrieve process" error.

Just a few days left and I'll start trying to make MXL Sigma work.
If I am successful I sure would love to write an installation guide for us unlucky Mac users. :P
WastingLight
Invader
8 | 0
Common Popularity Badge
Would it be possible to run a w10 emulator and do it that way? If any mods have any idea how us Mac users can get Sigma working please help :)
WastingLight
Invader
8 | 0
Common Popularity Badge
SteelWings wrote:
SwineFlu wrote:

That's was a good lead, thank you!
I couldn't solve it either way, but we'll see if it was addressed in MXL Sigma.

After tinkering around with wine versions and configurations I was able to get MXL Launcher working on wine. O-)
Previously I had all sorts of exceptions, presumably because Electron (framework for building Web based desktop applications) had some incompativility problems with how wine uses hard drive and mounts devices, thinking that Z: (where root is mounted) is actually a network device.
Having PlugY installed or changing D2 installation path in settings seem to throw "ENOTSUP: operation not supported on socket".

Currently I have upgraded to wine-staging (wine-4.0-rc5 (Staging)) and it solved all those exceptions.
Except, obviously, "failed to retrieve process" error.

Just a few days left and I'll start trying to make MXL Sigma work.
If I am successful I sure would love to write an installation guide for us unlucky Mac users. :P

Thank you! Any chance you can let me know on this thread if you get it working? I want to play badly
SteelWings
Sasquatch
67 | 5
Great Popularity Badge
WastingLight wrote:Would it be possible to run a w10 emulator and do it that way? If any mods have any idea how us Mac users can get Sigma working please help :)

Yes, if you have a spare copy of Win10 lying around (wink wink :roll:) you can use some free software like VirtualBox to install and run Sigma on virtual machine.
Alternatively, you can use Bootcamp (Boot Camp assistant comes with MacOS) and install Windows on a separate partition on Mac and literally boot into Windows just to play Sigma.

Both are 100% sure ways to get Sigma working, but way too complicated.

If I manage to get MXL Sigma working I'll probably write a short guide on how to do it. :D
WastingLight
Invader
8 | 0
Common Popularity Badge
SteelWings wrote:
WastingLight wrote:Would it be possible to run a w10 emulator and do it that way? If any mods have any idea how us Mac users can get Sigma working please help :)

Yes, if you have a spare copy of Win10 lying around (wink wink :roll:) you can use some free software like VirtualBox to install and run Sigma on virtual machine.
Alternatively, you can use Bootcamp (Boot Camp assistant comes with MacOS) and install Windows on a separate partition on Mac and literally boot into Windows just to play Sigma.

Both are 100% sure ways to get Sigma working, but way too complicated.

If I manage to get MXL Sigma working I'll probably write a short guide on how to do it. :D

Urghhh I don't have the space though.

It's recommended to have 64gb minimum for windows 10. I only have 70gb which is cutting it fine =/
Solfege
Harpylisk
1461 | 209
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
@aahz
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, installing the C++ redistributables did nothing except cause the Launcher to not load at all now.

@SteelWings
ENOTSUP error is where I get stuck, too. I suspected it had to do with how the Launcher was packaged (all errors related to .asar files). Currently using WINE 3.0.4 (stable), but it seems you has some luck with the staging release, so I'll try that.

Not sure if it matters, but out of curiosity, are you using a 64-bit WINE prefix, or a 32-bit prefix?

If you get it working, and I can replicate it, expect a cookie from me. :-D
SteelWings
Sasquatch
67 | 5
Great Popularity Badge
Solfege wrote:...

I've tried x64 only, but seeing how game runs on Win x64 systems without problems I didn't even think to try x32.
Tried x32 prefix as well - regrettably, same result.

About .asar files - make sure you "cd MedianXLLauncher" folder first, that worked for me.
After that you may see other exceptions when trying to change D2 path for example (that what didn't work for me on 3.0.4)

We'll see if Mac users are lucky in time.
Only couple of days left :D I'm more invested in this than ever.