Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Getting started with Sigma

Before we Start:
This guide is for people that are totally new to Sigma or are coming back after years and are actually wondering what the fuck happend.
The intention of this guide is to give you a brief summary of what is actually awaiting you in the early stages of this game. After reading this thread you will have a basic overview of how to get going. I am trying to collect as much useful data in one thread as possible.

This guide is still work in progress, if you encountered something that bothered you or found something that made life easier post it here to help others so i can add it to the guide.

Here is a quick overview what is coming:
1. FAQ - Questions that are frequently asked
2. Useful tips and knowledge outside of actual gameplay
3. Useful tips for actual gameplay
1. FAQ - Questions that are frequently asked
I am lagging like hell what am i supposed to do? REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
► Show Spoiler

What build/class am i supposed to play?
► Show Spoiler

Where can i find guides?
► Show Spoiler

Should i play Hardcore or Softcore?
► Show Spoiler

Useful tips and knowledge outside of actual gameplay
Finding your server
► Show Spoiler

Useful Server Commands
► Show Spoiler

Short Questions Thread
► Show Spoiler

Quality of life improvements

https://www.median-xl.com/tools.php
Special mentionings:
► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

Useful tips for actual gameplay
Leveling
► Show Spoiler

Gold in Median
► Show Spoiler

Farming Items
► Show Spoiler

Crafting Basics
The crafting system in Median might be overwhelming for new players. So here is an overview of the most basic and useful recipes that might be useful for you:
► Show Spoiler

Earliest game Equipment
In the very early stages of the game the best and really the only thing you can do is every shit you find. The main thing you have to look for is this:
In early stages buying oils of renewall is too expensive to create item bases for runewords. Pick them up early on so you have them once you need them.
These can be used for various powerful runewords to make your early game easier.
Rainbow
Rainbow
Belts

'Eth'
Runeword Level: 15
+5% to Spell Damage
+(6 to 10)% to Summoned Minion Resistances
Regenerate Mana +(5 to 10)%
Elemental Resists +(10 to 15)%
(6 to 8)% Magic Find
+2 to Light Radius
-- all ress, mf, damage
Epicenter
Epicenter
Boots

'Ith'
Runeword Level: 18
0.0625% Chance of Crushing Blow (Based on Character Level)
+(4 to 15)% Enhanced Defense
+(40 to 60) to Life
Elemental Resists +(3 to 5)%
- maximum life
Pax Mystica
Pax Mystica
Staves

'Tir'
Runeword Level: 10
+1 to All Skills
+7% to Spell Damage
+(2 to 5) to Blink
Elemental Resists +(11 to 15)%
(11 to 13)% Magic Find
- weapon on switch for every character, has 20 charges of teleport
Summit
- since your main source of gold is gold piles, this is very useful

For armor there is basically 3 options:
Grisworld always drops the following armor:

The cheap alternative and or followup are the following runewords:
Rebel

Rebel
Body Armors

'ZolSilSilLo'
Runeword Level: 100
15% Combat Speeds
Adds 6-10 Damage
Weapon Physical Damage +(80 to 100)%
+(172 to 200)% Enhanced Defense
+(151 to 200) to Strength
+(151 to 200) to Dexterity
-75 to Vitality
-75 to Energy
+60 to Mana
Maximum Elemental Resists +1%
Elemental Resists +(40 to 50)%
- ress, statts useful for combat and surviveability
Lumen Arcana
Lumen Arcana
Body Armors

'Ith'
Runeword Level: 18
+1 to All Skills
-(3 to 8)% to Enemy Fire Resistance
-(3 to 8)% to Enemy Lightning Resistance
-(3 to 8)% to Enemy Cold Resistance
-(3 to 8)% to Enemy Poison Resistance
+(25 to 50)% Enhanced Defense
+2 to Light Radius
- skill and - enemy ress, this is the option for casters or more offensive builds
With the low base defense grisworlds armor is falling of at some point, so using one of these in a base armor with higher def increases ur surviveability until you find what you looking for.

Mercenaries(by iwansquall)
Mercenaries are not required in the game, but are very helpful and strong. They are able to carry you alone if needed for most of the regular content.
The choice of Mercenaries depends on needs and the role they have to fullfill

__________THE SISTERS__________
Ranger
She is fairly offensive focused on physical damage. However the AI a bit stupid, like casting barrage when it clearly cant reach the target. Once she has the warspirit, she is a pretty good proc-machine. She however is a bit fragile without survival skill.
Recommend for : Melee class either Flat-WDM or caster, tanker, summoner

Priestess
A bit more defensive than Ranger. She is quite a supporter type that cast couple spell that useful for summoner. However her Pagan Rites might clash with any build that relies on corpses.
Recommend for : Caster, Summoner

Special bow mentioning for equipment:
Shockwave

Shockwave
Bows

'IthShael'
Runeword Level: 35
50% Chance to cast level 14 Punishers on Kill
+15% Bonus to Poison Skill Duration
+(11 to 15) to Maximum Damage
+(58 to 72)% Enhanced Damage
+10% to Poison Spell Damage
(3 to 5)% Chance of Crushing Blow
Slow Target (11 to 15)%
+(21 to 40) to Dexterity
+(21 to 40) to Energy
- very strong 50% on kill skill that is very deadly and mostly causes chain proc

Level Challenges

__________THE TOWN GUARD__________
Exemplar
Exemplar is self-sustained melee fighter that doesn't require much of your attention. His skill-set pretty much allows him to focus on either crowd control or passively dealing WDM attack. Physical immunes are not a problem for him as both Retaliate and Disintegrate are dealing magic damage.
Recommend for : Ranged / Fragile Class

Shapeshifter
Shapeshifter is one of tankiest mercenaries by having large health pool. However he lacks life regaining, so he needs to rely from your potion or having large amount of life leech. Bloodlust is a good all around damage buff that affecting all your allies.
Recommend for : Caster, Summoner

Fighter Mage

Figther Mage is one of excellent mercenaries that is focused on crowd control. His skill set focuses on multi hitting WDM skill, so he is also good to become a proc machine. With chronofield and glacial Nova, player can just focus on offensive
Recommend for : Ranged class, Summoner

__________THE IRON WOLVES__________
Bloodmage is mercenaries that excellent in crowd control and dealing spell damage. He is focused on fire and poison and he is also very tanky because his high defense.

Recommend for :Poison / Fire Caster, Tank

Necrolyte
Necrolyteis is semi defensive type of mercenary. Using Hailstorm is quiet a good single damage cold spell damage, otherwise his charm and miasma ability are useful debuffs and help to survive.
Recommend for : Cold Caster

Abjurer
The Abjurer skill set is focused on lightning damage and debuff on enemy. Although he has faster breakpoints compared to other iron wolves,but his main skills are not designed for long range making even though they deal decent damage.
Recommend for : Lightnining Caster, Ranged Class

__________THE BARBARIANS__________
He is powerful melee fighter with decent skill set and able to summon minions. He also has a quite good %stat gain, making him good in dealing physical damage at higher level. Shower of rocks and Ancient Hands is proven powerful AoE WDM skills.
Recommend for : Caster, Summoner.

Level Challenges
Now in Sigma there is basically only one real level challenge left, that requires you to be below a certain level.
Everything else can be done even if missed due to some reason or due to not being able to beat it.
After killing the last wave of baals minions, a portal spawns that leads to Tran Athula. You can enter here at level 45 and the challenge can be done if your character is between 50 and 60. There is an option to do it on higher levels, which is currently bugged. You have to kill the 3 priestresses and combine their 3 unique drops by transmuting them. The map looks like the following
The priestress themselves can now be identified quiet easily, they nearly look like the old valkyres from diablo 2:

Level Challenge 2 used to be restricted by maximum a maximum level. This is no longer relevant so this part is no longer a critical part for a new player.

Final words:

Shoutout to people creating previous parts of and elements. Ive mentioned them, if not please tell me to add names.
Also if you have something to add that would benefit a new player, i strongly suggest you to tell post it here so i can add it to the collection to improve everyones experience with this great mod.
Edited by Jaedong 5 years.
MinecraftGirl69
Fallen
1 | 0
Thanks for this guide, as a new player this helped me A TON to get started and not feel anxious going in the world blind :thumb:
Sarodikus
Fallen
1 | 0
Awesome, many thanks for this :)
Had no clue how the crafting system worked, will have fun now :)
Botelebaal
Dark Huntress
10 | 0
I appreciate your work, thank you! My only real hang up now is, I hear people mention "charms" and I found a list of them on a Median XL wiki but it would be nice if there was a better noob guide explaining what charms are and how exactly to get them. My character is only lvl106 but I feel like I have out leveled areas that I should have farmed for charms or something? I feel like they are probably one of the main progression points in the game and you can play through the game and not know they even exist I guess.
Jaedong
Detonator
792 | 56
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Botelebaal wrote:I appreciate your work, thank you! My only real hang up now is, I hear people mention "charms" and I found a list of them on a Median XL wiki but it would be nice if there was a better noob guide explaining what charms are and how exactly to get them. My character is only lvl106 but I feel like I have out leveled areas that I should have farmed for charms or something? I feel like they are probably one of the main progression points in the game and you can play through the game and not know they even exist I guess.

not sure if it helps but in one of the guides i mentioned, bojacea made a video of every uber and how he beat it
maybe that helps you to take a look at the ubers
needs to be mentioned, locations and other stuff might have changed in the meantime
http://forum.median-xl.com/viewtopic.ph ... 71#p142771

you can take a look at them, some might be harder but some are also easier now
https://docs.median-xl.com/doc/quests/dungeons
they are documented with location and difficulty, the ones with lower difficulties shouldnt be too hard to get even if you die alot
learning by doing, unless you play hc

this is a topic that comes up quiet often, the issue is the variety the game offers
its pretty hard to help someone without knowing:
- which char
- what skills
- what items
- what stats

therefore its quiet hard to describe something like this in here, if i or someone else can think of a way, im going to write it down
the description above will take alot of space, so its actually better to make a new thread
post stuff i listed above and describe ur current situation
peopel will be able to give you suggestions
Ronthar
Azure Drake
165 | 6
Legendary Supporter Badge
Donated 25 times
Common Auction Badge
Won 50 auctions
"This and the fact that the Diablo community doesn't own smartphones makes the game very attractive to a big part of players outside of the already existiting Median community."

My favorite part of this. But on point, thanks for posting this! Reminded me I haven't made a tele staff for my on switch yet ^_^
BrecMadak
Sasquatch
65 | 2
Have a remark on Skillplanner: This page looks pretty incomplete and broken. I'd expect at the least, the skill descriptions with current and follow-up level infos being listed, because for the most, literally reading the skill titles will not make a sense and will not help, at all. There is not even a return button to return back selecting a hero...

I've heard that this part is on Marco. So my best hope is that he will update for the current by adding all the needed info for that page as soon as possible if he really is willing to help new and old players imo.
Botelebaal
Dark Huntress
10 | 0
Jaedong wrote:you can take a look at them, some might be harder but some are also easier now
https://docs.median-xl.com/doc/quests/dungeons
they are documented with location and difficulty, the ones with lower difficulties shouldnt be too hard to get even if you die alot
learning by doing, unless you play hc

Again thank you! I didnt realize the places that had charms were called dungeons. I think I fully understand how charms work now. I just need to pick and choose which charms are good for my build and then do those dungeons.
noseke
Skeleton
2 | 0
Thanks for taking the time to write a boring guide instead of enjoying the game ;) You're a hero.
Muilpeer
Daystar
667 | 23
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
What I'm looking for, is a place that explains 'where to level'. For example, I'm now lvl 108, usually I would say cows, but I am not allowed to enter this place yet. So maybe IoTSS? Etc, that would be good info to add :)