Thunder Beetle
55 | 2
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide

Working on Sigma 1.2 update

Introduction

Javazon is a hybrid ranged physical attacker that can tank, kite and farm in equal measure. It has a strong set of basic tools like fast move speed, many slows, rapid regeneration, and max block, which makes much endgame content a breeze without any need of respecs. Its playstyle is easygoing and forgiving with only one buff to refresh, allowing for focus on aiming and positioning.

tl;dr FAQ

I'm looking for the best build for x/y/z, is this it?
  • No, this build's defining feature is being mediocre at everything.

What's the appeal then?
  • It's got a good set of endgame/anti-Purify tools, doesn't rely on leech, can be played lazily, performs OK with cheap/mostly TU gear.

This early game is really slow, what gives?
  • Each new skill unlocked is a big power spike, same goes for getting gear. If you're slowed down by mana issues use mana regen MOs or sapphires in your weapon.

I keep dying pre-Hell, what can I do?
  • 1. Cap resists with jewellery MOs/perfect gems
    2. Reach 174% hit recovery/block speed
    3. Keep Moonbeam up (when practical)
    4. Kite/avoid damage/use summons
    5. Uptier gear
    6. Improve life total/use flat DR mystic orbs

How do I best improve my damage?
  • Get higher raw physical damage i.e. %ED, min/max/adds damage mods.

Paragon or Curare or SoV?
  • Paragon default, SoV endgame with lots of flat +life, Curare for Fauzt clearspeed.

Is Ricochet good?
  • Not unless you're overgeared and kill everything in a couple of casts.

Is it worth putting hard points in attack skills for damage?
  • No, Ecstatic Frenzy scales better.

Overview

► Skills explanation

► Skillplan, attributes and breakpoints

Gameplay tl;dr: Keep Moonbeam up, spam Enfilade to kill things, spam Fairy Ring if there are corpses and still things to kill.

Gear

► Weapons

► Body Armour

► Shields

► Helms

► Gloves

► Boots

► Belt

► Rings

► Amulet

► Offhand

► Sockets and mystic orbs

► Mercenary

More gameplay tips

• We use our movement speed from Wild & Free and Ecstatic Frenzy with various slows to avoid melee hitlock and kite monsters. We also benefit a lot from reanimates to take the heat off us and allow us to focus on attack spam.
  • Huge Moonbeam regen and %PR allows us to sustain through random hits from missiles/spells/etc easily. Potion tanking can be very effective when we're forced to eat attacks. Moon Queen also provides life after each kill, so if we can potion tank a horde long enough to start getting kills then we can snowball heal through all of them. This is especially effective in areas like Duncraig or Vizjun where we'll be mobbed after making a teleport jump.
  • Use Spellbind! It lowers enemy physical resist and their physical damage output by 40% as well. This can be the difference between life and death.
  • Fire Elementals get surprisingly tanky with a few levels in Spellbind and are pretty useful as a distraction. Reanimates are better for general farming.
  • Improving our max life pool has a dramatic effect on our survivability due to the interaction with Moonbeam. If you're taking too much damage, try increasing your life total.
  • Having 0 defense isn't normally a problem since we can at least partial kite everything and avoid taking too many hits. But there's a problem when we're faced with totally untargetable enemies since we can't slow or curse them. This is a flaw in the build and weakens us in a couple of specific ubers. If you can't deal with them, come back later with a bigger life total so you can tank better.

Endgame quest tips

If you don't know how these areas work in general, see the documentation on dungeons and rifts.
These are assuming you're approximately the right level and you don't have any SUs or insane crafts.

► Level 105 quests

► Level 110 quests

► Level 115 quests

► Level 120 quests

► Level 125 quests

► Level 130+ quests
Edited by itsme 4 years.
woop
Cultist
21 | 0
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
Thanks for the guide!I'm thinking about going javzon and focusing around Fairy Ring with Titan's Revenge, what stats are most important to increase Fairy Rings damage? Does "adds x to x fire damage" apply to spells? Will attack speed help or should I just go for cast speed? Does my weapon affect the damage alot? For example Dexterity Damage Bonus: (x/xx per Dexterity)%, how important is that? Do you always go with Paragon or do you change to SoV or Curare later on?
itsme
Thunder Beetle
55 | 2
Great Popularity Badge
Common Guide Badge
woop wrote:Thanks for the guide!I'm thinking about going javzon and focusing around Fairy Ring with Titan's Revenge, what stats are most important to increase Fairy Rings damage? Does "adds x to x fire damage" apply to spells? Does my weapon affect the damage alot? For example Dexterity Damage Bonus: (x/xx per Dexterity)%, how important is that?

Fairy Ring:
-Takes your weapon damage
-Converts 50% of it to fire
-Adds the flat fire damage (+other flat elemental damage from skills/items)
-Multiplies the whole thing by 0.33

So "adds +x to y (element) damage" will work at 33% efficiency.
"+% to (element) spell damage" does nothing since it's a weapon skill but not a melee skill.
"-% to enemy (element) resist" does work, but in normal cases I wouldn't bother since it's less effective than increasing weapon damage. On a Titan's Revenge build it would be worth doing since the majority of your damage is fire.

Since Javazon naturally has a lot of spare skill points they can all go in Fairy Ring for your build (since Titan's Revenge is a multiplier).

woop wrote:Will attack speed help or should I just go for cast speed?

Fairy Ring uses the cast animation, so if you're building around it you should get to 120% cast speed.

woop wrote:Do you always go with Paragon or do you change to SoV or Curare later on?

Personally always Paragon. It works too well with Moonbeam and while Curare theoretically makes our killspeed better, it often doesn't help much since we're required to play less aggressively due to having ~7k life instead of ~12k-16k. The new Enfilade makes Curare unnecessary for bosses too. It is an option, it just seems a death sentence in some areas.
majinvegito123
Thunder Beetle
51 | 1
Great Supporter Badge
Donated 5 times
How is this build for farming? I want a build that I can use for magic find to farm Uber Kurast and DUncraig faster than my summoner paladin. So, I'm trying to get something that farms quickly.
itsme
Thunder Beetle
55 | 2
Great Popularity Badge
Common Guide Badge
majinvegito123 wrote:How is this build for farming? I want a build that I can use for magic find to farm Uber Kurast and DUncraig faster than my summoner paladin. So, I'm trying to get something that farms quickly.

It runs all farming zones at a decent pace and very safely. You need socketed gems for life but I've gone up to ~150% MF with Lum runes + turquoises in shield and not had any problems. It won't be anywhere near as fast as something like wolf Druid with endgame gear though.
Daniel-AZM-
Cultist
21 | 0
Hi, I am just started play in Mediana with your build. And i am total new. But i like vey much Amaxon Maybee you have some items for the start? myZcc : Daniel-AZM- i will be very glad of you help mi with something shit for the start :D
Regards
Tomsn90
Dark Huntress
13 | 0
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
sry for asking but im an absolute noob to median xl, what is your main dmg skill?
shnurr214
Ice Clan
597 | 47
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
nice miniguide. Id love to see some videos of you doing ubers. Javazon has always been a fun farming build with the right gear but i have never sen it do well on ubers.

good stuff man

edit: no idea why no one has cookied this yet! enjoy one :bounce:
Syphien
Imp
4 | 0
Legendary Supporter Badge
Donated 25 times
This is a pretty nice guide. I just switched from bowazon to javazon since I was struggling with Kabraxis at level 120. Took him down with only 2 deaths. The only difference I made to the guide was maxing Ricochet. Not sure if this was a mistake or not but feels great so far. I'm still new to median but played D2 a long time ago for quite a while.

Thanks again for this! I learned a lot of what gear to look for as well.
itsme
Thunder Beetle
55 | 2
Great Popularity Badge
Common Guide Badge
Tomsn90 wrote:sry for asking but im an absolute noob to median xl, what is your main dmg skill?

Enfilade then Fairy Ring once there are lots of corpses.

shnurr214 wrote:nice miniguide. Id love to see some videos of you doing ubers. Javazon has always been a fun farming build with the right gear but i have never sen it do well on ubers.

good stuff man

edit: no idea why no one has cookied this yet! enjoy one :bounce:

Thanks. I'll do videos if I get the gear order better optimized, still too much to experiment with right now. And yeah, I don't think it's ever gonna be a great boss killer but it's wayyyyyy better than before Sigma.

Syphien wrote:The only difference I made to the guide was maxing Ricochet. Not sure if this was a mistake or not but feels great so far. I'm still new to median but played D2 a long time ago for quite a while.

Thanks again for this! I learned a lot of what gear to look for as well.

Not a mistake. Ricochet is really good in areas where your killspeed is already sufficient because you can clear the screen fast. But it's not a strictly necessary part of the build any more like it was before the Enfilade rework. I should probably add some more info on it.