Idea for a tournament

Discuss Median XL!
timmermac
Cultist
22 | 0
So this is an idea for something that I did on Zy-El many years ago that worked a lot better than I had thought it would. I did a softcore rotation tournament. The idea was the player would start with an amazon, play it until it died, then move to an assassin, play it until it died, and continue to rotate until all characters were max level. Scoring would be a maximum of max level x 7, with .001 deducted per character death. Items can't be swapped between characters. I'm thinking about starting this when I get my laptop, hopefully later this month. This will be SP only. Anybody find this interesting?
nemmate
Grubber
301 | 8
timmermac wrote:So this is an idea for something that I did on Zy-El many years ago that worked a lot better than I had thought it would. I did a softcore rotation tournament. The idea was the player would start with an amazon, play it until it died, then move to an assassin, play it until it died, and continue to rotate until all characters were max level. Scoring would be a maximum of max level x 7, with .001 deducted per character death. Items can't be swapped between characters. I'm thinking about starting this when I get my laptop, hopefully later this month. This will be SP only. Anybody find this interesting?

It's not bad, I always play SP and offline. But I don't like to play with all the characters. It depends too, if I have enough time.... But I think is a great idea.
timmermac
Cultist
22 | 0
So, this will be my roster for the tournament. Starting when I get a laptop and Diablo 2.

ColonelCarter, bowazon
Teyla, assassin
JackONeill, necromancer
RononDex, barbarian
Tealc, paladin
JanetFraiser, sorceress
DanielJackson, druid

I haven't played this mod in years, and when I did, it was zon only. And I never made it out of Act 1. Gameplay tips would be appreciated...
ParticuLarry
Ice Clan
558 | 60
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Some questions that aren't answered by the first post and some genuine hints:

What's the reward for 1st place 2nd place and 3rd place? I mean... there has to be some motivation for people to enter such a complex event, right?

Why do you think it is a good idea to level up 7 characters when it takes about a month or more to get to level 145+?

Why is it SP only, when you can just go to HC on the server? On the sin war, everybody will see the hc ladder statistics and nobody can cheat. (Unless somebody deletes a character, but I'm sure the aahz could just look into it if anybody decides to delete a character and try again.)

I'm not sure, but has anyone yet said they'd be interested in that kind of event aside from you? If not, you might want to make a visually pleasing first post instead of a generic topic like this that neither catches any attention nor looks like a serious approach. Clear structure would be great as in: Introduction, Rules, Point system, and so on... If you want people to participate, make it clear you're hosting the event instead of "Maybe somebody is interested? Maybe not?" That just confuses people. Or rather, they lay back and watch until you actually host it before giving an opinion.
There were some events before and to get an idea on how to structure it well enough to make people get interested in that event, here are some examples:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=50579
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=41866
You can just press the "Quote" button on the bottom right corner to see the BBcodes they used if that's some knowledge you're missing to make the post look important.

Also, if you contact the admins I'm sure they'd love to support this event if hosted on the server. In the worst case, they'd be able to help you make it work if it's special loot as a price is what you're missing.
wewenako19
Balrog
121 | 0
only allow tier item to your tournament xD HAHAHA and no charm allow or only ennead HAHAHA
timmermac
Cultist
22 | 0
It's SP-only because my playstyle can best be described as glacially slow. I tend to piss off other players because I prefer to interact with every single chest/loose stone/etc. and kill every single monster and pick up every single item that drops. I don't do speedruns. This is why I'm annoyed that there is no more PlugY in Median. I am a fairly major packrat. I like to keep uniques, jewels, gems, sets, rares, other shiny items. If the devs could reenable ingame inifinite stash, I would be really happy. Also, when I'm actually ready to start this up, there's going to be a new topic announcing it.

Upon further reflection, if you folks out there can provide a persuasive argument for doing so, I might do this on TSW, with the caveat that there will be no joining of a tournament game. I'm not joking about my playstyle. I've tried multiplayer on other mods, and the way I play just doesn't work well with others.

Edit: I also neglected to point out that this is going to be a softcore rotation tournament. Keeping track of the number of character deaths will be part of the scoring. For anybody that's curious about how it's going to work, go to the Phrozen Keep and check out the softcore rotation tournament thread on the Zy-El forum.
Edit 2: Somebody mentioned how long it takes to level up characters... I don't run short tournaments, and I like to give plenty of inactive time before I kill it off. IIRC, I gave several months of inactivity in my Zy-El tournament. Same thing will apply here.
ParticuLarry
Ice Clan
558 | 60
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Well it's fine to go at the pace you want to go. I don't think that's a hinderance no matter whether you play on TSW or offline. And yes, from the context I assumed that a rule concerning limiting the players in the game would have to be set up. You can just do it by creating an online game and set the maximum limit of players to "1".

What I'm most concerned about when it comes to Single Player is items. Many SP players hoard items just like you do. Who can supervise them not simply muling the best in slot gear to create an advantage over other players? That would make the whole challenge redundant. Especially now, that old items will be far stronger than the new ones. A challenge like this might work on other mods, but I don't think just trusting people not to play unfairly is enough. On the server they can see from the logs whether somebody else joined your game and gave you items and such things. Whether the admins would be willing to help you out with supervising that is a different matter. You might need to talk to aahz if he would be willing to set up a script for that.
timmermac
Cultist
22 | 0
ParticuLarry wrote:Well it's fine to go at the pace you want to go. I don't think that's a hinderance no matter whether you play on TSW or offline. And yes, from the context I assumed that a rule concerning limiting the players in the game would have to be set up. You can just do it by creating an online game and set the maximum limit of players to "1".

What I'm most concerned about when it comes to Single Player is items. Many SP players hoard items just like you do. Who can supervise them not simply muling the best in slot gear to create an advantage over other players? That would make the whole challenge redundant. Especially now, that old items will be far stronger than the new ones. A challenge like this might work on other mods, but I don't think just trusting people not to play unfairly is enough. On the server they can see from the logs whether somebody else joined your game and gave you items and such things. Whether the admins would be willing to help you out with supervising that is a different matter. You might need to talk to aahz if he would be willing to set up a script for that.

That's a good point, and a pretty persuasive argument for me to do this on the realm. Also, I do plan on having a rule that all characters are to start untwinked, and there will be no sharing of items between characters. Also, I like screenshots, and not just of uber items. So folks will have to excuse me if I post screenies of items I think are cool.