What anime do you watch?

Have something to say or share? Everything else comes here!
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Re:Despair, AGAIN AND AGAIN!

Title : Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- Season 2

Genres: Drama, Fantasy, Psychological, Thriller

Some fans of anime wait a pretty long time for 2nd season adaptation to varied different degree of quality. Luckily this series doesnt have to wait long until the continuation of the series being adapted. Based on the score, seem like most of the fans are happy with it. However, Im abit half entertained with it.

This season started with immediate conclusion from first season. In order to resolved some problem happened with one of the dearest character to the protagonist. Using the power of reverting to previous couple of days whenever he died, he found that he reached a checkpoint where it is no longer possible to save the girl, thus the beginning of this season. Scope wise, this anime felt smaller where our protagonist need to go to a single location & facing several trials, and yet it was so complexed that it took whole season (13 episodes) for it.

As for why i couldnt find this season entertaining, the first one focused more on world building, character introduction and a much faster plot progression for the whole 26 episodes. This season felt very slow & it repeat the same several days over and over again. Worse part is that because our protagonist took a different action, it lead to vastly different result, to a point I feel like doesnt make sense. Anime production however still pretty good quality & the mysterious thriller part is the best part of this season.

If you a fan of first season & mystery / thriller, perhaps this 2nd season is good. I still think it is great season, but only some personal moment that i think pretty good while most of other are depressing despairs.

Alternative : Not many anime have similar setup as this, so i just list several anime that i think similar (some are olds). Higurashi series, Steins Gate series, Boku Dake ga Inai Machi & Puella Magi Madoka

Promising start that went nowhere.

Title : Kanojo, Okarishimasu
Rent-a-Girlfriend

Genres: Comedy, Romance, School, Shounen

Blah2 I dont hate romcom or harem anime in general as long as it have anything interesting to keep me watching the whole season. This anime is nothing new, and I mostly just heard how the main girls is kinda one of perfect girl you can have in the anime.

This anime have simple premise where our protagonist was dumped by his 1 month girlfriend. Feeling frustrated, he went for a service where he can rent a girlfriend hourly. After troublesome encounter in the beginning revolving their "fake" relationship, it went bloated to a point that he have to kept lying about his girlfriend status. Thus the beginning of this series, full of misunderstanding & requirement to keep their fake relationship a secret. Being a college students, it is much harder to hide among their friends.

If i wanted to say the focus of the anime, probably the waifus & comedy are the strong points about this anime. Each girls feel like a perfect characters that you wanted to see as a girlfriend. But because this is a romcom, you know for sure know there will be moment when more female characters enter our protagonist life. Anime production is pretty good and i kinda like the artstyle here. I think the worse part is inability of our protagonist to be consistent with his feeling (typical wussy harem romcom anime male).

I will be honest to say that I liked most of the episodes, but because the story going nowhere, it is just a bit letdown with merely some heartful moments while others are just normal typical comedic scenes with some slice of life thrown in. Just dont expect any romance story out of this.

Alternative : Nisekoi is the another one very similar. Next is seto no hanayome. Lastly, if you want more dirty / drama anime then Kuzu no Honkai & Domestic Girlfriend.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Death march to freaking boring isekai!

Title : Death March kara Hajimaru Isekai Kyousoukyoku
Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody

Genres: Adventure, Fantasy, Harem

I feel like i shouldnt watch another isekai within short period of times. It remind me of trauma during VN harem adaptation during mid 2000s. I mean, i dont mind as long it is service-able, but when it bring boring part isekai and harem, it scream MEDIOCRE quality.

This anime no doubt started pretty average. The term death march term itself seem like referring to "crunch", a time where game developer overworked in order to deliver product on time. Being an adult with intellectual programming skill, he definitely should have enough skill set in order to master any type of MMORPG as he have experience being a gamer at younger age. And yet, first thing he did in another world is acting like a teenager who figuring the game mechanic one by one.

One of the aspect of isekai I dont like is not the heavy emphasize of using video game UI or video game mechanic, but CRAZY OP of power up that NEVER happen in any video game you played. The main characters immediately became the most powerful player in just 1st episodes, and unlocking a lot of new skill that doesnt make sense. Additionally, he also trying to be kind to all female and automatically creating he own harem even without effort. I could accept if at least the story is interesting or maybe the combat animation are nice, but there arent.

This anime is probably i considered slightly below average (not that bad). I kinda like the video game system + slice of life feel of it, but it just get boring and heavy emphasize on harem remind me too much of other mediocre harem anime.

Alternative : How not to summon demon lord (i know it is bad, but i love it). Reincarnated as Slime, Rising of Shield Hero & Bofuri for all similar video game level up thingy.

Can I be annoying, senpai?

Title : Uzaki-chan wa Asobitai!
Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out!

Genres: Slice of Life, Comedy, Romance, Ecchi

This anime character became hot topic because of her character design and the usage of her picture for blood donation drive. Tbh, I dont care about all of that and will just review the anime based solely on what i felt.

The premise of this anime is about an annoying girl who keep pestering her senpai (senior) who have been her friend since high school. Seeing this guy being loner throughout first year college, she decided that she will stick to him and hang out like how people with friend should be. Pretty much that all since this anime is just a simple slice of life. There are several aspect while this felt close at heart. Firstly because I was such a loner during college, so our male protagonist feel like at home.

Second, despite being annoying, I think our female character is kinda understandable realistic. Her character design might be hard get used to in beginning, but I think it is fine as the series is well animated. Despite having romcom tag in the genre, I dont feel any amount of romance aside from several ecchi (accidentally touching boobs) joke. Comedy also pretty scarce, so I solely treat this anime as slice of life in college life. Because of that, there arent any plot progression aside from meeting new people (even then, there are only like 5 main casts).

I think the enjoyment while watching this is depend if you handle the annoying character and how do you enjoy the mundane slice of life in general. I think it is fun anime as it resonate with me personally, but YMMV.

Alternative : For anime with annoying character, i guess both Aho-Girl & Uza-Maid fit both nicely. But for anime that handling annoying female character probably Takagi-san & Umaru-chan (google for both full name)
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
SEVEN FREAKING YEARS for the wait!

Title : Toaru Kagaku no Railgun T
A Certain Scientific Railgun T

Genres: Action, Sci-Fi, Super Power

Toaru series (index, railgun, accelerator) is a pretty great novel series that have awesome world building. So it is kinda expected you will get very good anime as long as the studio doesnt butchered the adaptation (like they did with Index s3).

The series continue with our protagonist with her school, joining a great sports festival that being held in the Academy City. As the event came close, there are hidden hand who are moving stuff around in order to disrupt the society. Hence the beginning of this series. I would be honest and say that the biggest arc in this current season ended in the middle which we will able to see several supporting characters with their battle scenes. Other than that, other are pretty nice world building arc with side characters.

If you havent realized, this season focused mostly on the side characters. Some even added necessary backstory for characters that appear in other series (index n accelerator). Despite that, it is still pretty awesome story and crazy battle (mostly mindgames) that made you kinda intriguing with both aspects. As for studio that producing this series, JC staff managed to retain the same quality from previous 2 season with all same voice actor / actress. Although it doesnt retain AWESOME feeling in every episodes, this is pretty good season.

Should you watch railgun (or toaru series) in the general? Absolutely. This is one of my earliest anime that i got hooked especially with its awesome OP / ED song. Just take note that series are mostly combine slice of life stuff with serious plot for big arc.

Alternative : Hard to mention any similar anime feeling with this great world building. So for my suggestion I would just randomly suggest female centered battle anime that felt similar with this like : Madoka, Kill la Kill, Yuuki Yuuna, Nanoha (movies especially).
Anonymous:
Memelistas
2974 | 437
Great Posting Badge
Posted over 2.500 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
This one :

iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Round. round, merry-go-round.

Title : Yesterday wo Utatte
Sing "Yesterday" for Me

Genres: Slice of Life, Drama, Romance, Seinen

One of reason why people watch anime is to escape reality by projecting themselves in the character shoes. This is why genre like power fantasy, isekai, shounen, shoujo are so popular category. Seinen (adult / mature) generally a bit slow & realistic than other 2 counterpart, making it suitable for specific genre. This anime is probably a group genre that might bored people out.

Anime is about several peoples who seem cant make out about their relationship & feeling. It almost to point you can call it... Friendzoned the anime. Since love is feeling that sometimes unrealistic, this is kinda made anime a bit washy about their characters. Most of they seem cant think the straight out to sort out their feeling. Get used to feeling depress in whole season as our characters kept thinking about themselves to a point they need random characters introduced to give them a proper push.

While I liked the studio (especially when they animated cute girls anime) and the artstyle are ok, it feel like the anime is lacked in focus. Despite being aimed to be realistic with characters, the way they act, to me it just a bit feel too childish and kinda irritating to watch as a viewer. While it is kinda understandable for slice of life anime to be slow and monotone, but without excitement or something new to learn about japanese way of life, it fall flat to me. There is a drama tag in this anime, but I dont feel any tension build up.

This anime is perfect example that lack of exaggeration can lead to boring & slow pacing anime. Combined with characters who seem cant decide themselves about their feeling, it just left me with empty feeling. It is not a bad anime though.

Alternative : Random anime suggestion about serious relationship drama : Beastars, Domestic no Girlfriend, Re:life, Kuzu no Honkai.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
You can touch my body, Sensei.

Title : Monster Musume no Oishasan
Monster Girl Doctor

Genres: Comedy, Romance, Ecchi, Fantasy

Random anime that I randomly stumbled upon. No research, just straight watch without any expectation. And the quality of the anime pretty much can be judged in just first couple of minutes of this anime.

The concept is about a doctor who lived in fantasy world where monster coexist with each other. Just like human, you sometimes need to see a doctor when facing an illness or having some medical issue. You probably figured it out from the poster that this will harem anime. While the concept is kinda ok, the question would how would it maintained a healthcare genre (which is pretty rare in anime) toward whole season of 12 episodes. With varied type of cast, there are a lot of personality among them.

Sadly, despite I feel like the series look promising, I pretty dislike the adaptation of this anime. First the quality of art is pretty weird. There are huge contrast of colour in it, and the gradient made it look ugly. It almost remind me of anime from early 2000s. Not to mention that character design is not pleasing to the eyes, especially in term of monster design. As for extra fan service, you can expect some moaning voice in every episodes whenever doctor doing physical examination on the girls.

Definitely skip this, this borderline average anime quality to me. The story kinda bored me in the beginning and there isnt any redeemable quality watching it. As i said many times before, I dont mind watching bad or average series but I cant sit through boring stuff (especially when it is not pleasing to my eyes).

Alternative : Monster Girl no Iru Nichijou, Centaur no Nayami, Demi-chan was Kataranai & Jitsu wa Watashi wa. If you up to super ecchi, then google Interspecies Reviewer (really NSFW btw).

OMFG FINALLY SOMETHING GOOD TO WATCH!

Title : Deca-Dence
Genres: Action, Sci-Fi, Adventure

If you really can trust me / my review, go watch this ASAP and ignore this review as I will spoilt abit of it which might made the enjoyment abit less than watching it blind. After some research, seem like this an anime original series that have pretty all stars production team.

The story is about a world in post-apocalypses world where human have to fight monsters. There are two group of humans called Gear (pro fighter) and Tanker (normal working human). They lived in huge tank fortress that carried the last population of human. As the day go forward, the monster attacks became more frequent and human became almost extinct. Our protagonist is a young girl who wanted to a be fighter but she cant as she was borned as a Tanker. With help of her boss / mentor, she managed to climb upward against all of the challenges.

What if I tell you everything I told earlier is just a lie? (Spoiler after this note). Basically the world came in two form. The cyborg world and the human world. After the cyborg took over the world, they create a system to retain all human while creating a game simulation for cyborg to entertain themselves. This is standard fare story about overwhelming controlling society create by system which deem absurd by our main hero. How will they will fare once they realized the world truth and can they overcome the oppressive dictator?

Ignore the MAL score on this anime. Dont let this a hidden sleeper anime missed you. This is awesome anime that keep me hooked to watch every episodes in one go. It managed to pull me with its awesome anime production as this. Best part of it? It is just only 12 episodes of awesomeness!

Alternative : While concept is not something original, the similar anime : Attack on Titan, Gurren Lagann, Made in Abyss & Darling in the Franxxx.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Boobs, Boobs, BOOBS EVERYWHERE!

Title : Senran Kagura Shinovi Master: Tokyo Youma-hen
Senran Kagura: Shinovi Master

Genres: Action, Comedy, Ecchi, School

Fan service anime is something have been staple for a while every season. The question would be, are those fan service are designed as part of the story or just merely eye candies for viewer to bite into. Knowing the source material of this anime, which is pretty much action video that revolved around ninja & getting naked while transforming.

I dont remember much details from first season of this anime. Aside from it was kinda bad but are barely ok at least from the story point of view. This anime setup a story which is kinda feel like middle of bigger "plots" which revolved monster type called youma. There are several groups of shinobi masters, but I be frank that I already forget about them or I simply dont recognize them at all. This season really assume you already knew all characters and their background story as the plots is quite fast.

Animation wise, this is pretty much bare bones IMO. While animation is not bad, but there arent any interesting action scenes considering this supposed to be an action anime. Transformation scenes also quite basic, but I only recalled like they only transformed probably only couple of times throughout whole season. As for fan service, it is pretty meh. Just a stupid amount of breast laying bare for no reason. There is even a barrier that took out their clothes for ... reason. As for the big bad villains, I dont care about their motivation at all while watching this.

Skip this unless you really into Senran Kagura series. Even then, it is kinda average anime that I got bored from the beginning (I even struggle to finish this as you can see gap between this and my preview review). Usually fan service anime can redeem itself if it something fun & engaging story, but I dont find either in this.

Alternative : If you really wanted ecchi with abit more "quality", then Highschool DXD & ToLoveRu is noteworthy. If you just wanted a group of sword girls fighting around then probably Hyakka Ryouran & Sekirei. (Just take note most of ecchi fanservice anime with fighting girls are pretty average)
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Must protect the loli!

Title : Kakushigoto (TV)
Kakushigoto

Genres: Slice of Life, Comedy, Shounen

Yet another anime that I didnt research and randomly downloaded the whole batch. From first minute of watching it, it feel familiar with its artstyle and voices. Turn out that this is the same mangaka from another anime called Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei.

From the get go, the artstyle of this anime are pretty good and clean. Combined with simple character design & artline, I know this gonna be a slice of life anime. The story is simply a father who kept a secret about his jobs which is actually a manga artist (anime title is a pun for keeping secret and drawing stuff iirc) from his daughter. So every episodes is just a simple bonding between them with their daily life. There are tons of supporting characters from colleague / artist for the fathers and school friends & teacher for the daughter which made the series more pleasant.

However, a hit or miss of this anime solely depend if you can withstand the pun comedy which is famous trait of the original creator. I kinda feel ok with it, although there arent much grand plot movement aside from maybe the last episodes (even serious tons are turned into comedic relief). This anime have a lot soothing feeling while watching as the daughter is just so adorable and innocent. Many of gags are simply related to her misunderstanding about his father jobs, which she only know at the final episodes.

As a slice of life anime, this is pretty good. However you need to able to enjoy the comedy before I can recommend this. While generally i prefer something more visual or slapstick comedy, the cute part alone made it more redeemable.

Alternative : Usagi Drop & Barakamon probably one of more standout title. Another 2 would be Amaama to Inazuma & maybe Somali to Mori no Kamisama for similar bonding story.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Probably im just too dumb to enjoy this.

Title : Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Kan
My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU Climax!

Genres: Slice of Life, Comedy, Drama, Romance, School

This series have been going for awhile. Despite im not enjoying it since first season (as in entertained), it still have some merit especially it resembled myself someone who was loner and inability to express his feeling to other people.

Yet 3rd season in and I already forget most of the plots & characters, which I have read a summary about the series before I start watching this 3rd season & final season. Every episodes now it feel like a brood fest, inability for our main casts to say about their feelings. I mean, I can accept this kind of story for first season, but for it to kept going after this a while just made me bored. It supposed to a climax of the series as a final send off for the anime fan, but I find myself loathing myself why Im not enjoying the series.

I get that some people prefer more like a slow burner type of series, but I at least required some sort of excitement once a while. Even if you read the plot synopsis, it have potential with stuff like prom date or graduation days. And yet the production for anime kept sending flat line feeling while watchin it. Not to mention, this is characters driven anime, if you cant get into the characters, you wont enjoy this.

Im somehow puzzled by high score of this anime on MAL, probably 3rd season meant only fan will watch it. Since im not fan of it from beginning, i will just say that this series isnt probably not for me. Watch it if you dont mind brooding every episodes asking about your existence.

Alternative : Seriously, go watch any 24 episodes of anime drama that you could get a proper conclusion package than this series. Example like : Toradora, Golden Time, Your Lie in April, Hyouka. Heck, if you can even go with melodrama (overdramatic) anime like Kizunaiver, Kokoro Connect, Sakura-sou no Pet na Kanojo or Angel Beats could bring more emotions to yourself.

This anime stole all my free time.

Title : Plunderer
Genres: Action, Ecchi, Fantasy, Shounen

Im myself noticed from first couple of minute of watching to know that this anime would be mediocre. Turn out it is, but there are something mesmerizing about this anime. If i want to put in specific category, probably it is "so bad that made is so good".

The concept of the story is pretty simple in beginning where every human have numbers on their body. Once it reached 0, you will brought into abyss. As this is an action shounen anime, there will be a lot of fight involving "stealing" number from your opponent hence the anime title. Lets just the say, the world that our character lived is not exactly it look , so we are kinda teased slowly whole history of 300 years of the world. Just take note that there are big shift of story in the middle of season (at 12th episodes) which made it kinda like 2 different anime, but regardless it is important backstory.

My issue with this anime is definitely the studio production. The artstyle remind me of mid 2000s anime with clean line art and bright colourful palette. Animation is laughable for most of the times. Story was intriguing, but it can be easily said that this is bad adaptation. After some on my research, seem the source material of this anime is actually quite good, so no wonder why i still got entertained by part of this anime. But still, going through 24 episodes for this anime is just infuriating to me.

Just skip this anime, perhaps maybe read the manga (as long as you can handle ecchi part). I could see this anime couldve been experimented with 1 cour (12 episodes) with better pacing, but at the end it just too much padding & waste too much time.

Alternative : Probably I just list anime that could have quite interesting world building like : the one i really like recently Deca-dence. World Trigger, Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon & lastly probably 7 Deadly Sins.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1492 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Clever loli strike again!

Title : Honzuki no Gekokujou: Shisho ni Naru Tame ni wa Shudan wo Erandeiraremasen 2nd Season
Ascendance of a Bookworm Part 2

Genres: Slice of Life, Fantasy

If you havent watch this, i will give short summary of this series. Basically it is about an adult female who loved book so much that spent alot of time in library. Tragic struck, she died because falling bookshelf on her and she now reincarnated into a cute girl in fantasy world. With her previous life knowledge, how she will use it for her new life.

Season 2 continue from first season where she was brought into custody of a church in order to study her inhuman capability. Being mentored by head priest, she learnt her way up into society where it revolved heavily between normal & nobles. As her simple goals are simply want to read and study magic, she create her own group so that she will have full time access to the library. So now the challenges are to convert all helpers from the church's orphanage and turn their life around.

This is tale of heartwarming story same like first season. While sometimes it made question why doesnt just use all modern technologies into this world, it is kinda finally explained that she only have vague memories of her previous life. Her dream of creating her own book made her rediscover technologies into book printing. Season 2 focus heavily more on society difference compared first season where she merely want to live her life the fullest as she have quite fragile body.

Season 2 able to maintain quality of heartwarming feeling from first season. If you havent watch this series, I highly recommend you. Maybe just keep your mind about our protagonist is a still a child, so expect some weird behaviour from her.

Alternative : For some story about heartwarming female protagonist, you can watch series like Hamefura, Akagami Shirayuki Hime, Mahoutsukai no Yome, & maybe Spice and Wolf for some merchant story. As for child character, you can watch Somali to Mori Kamisama, Kakushigoto, Usagi Drop & Amaama to Inazuma.

Im sorry, but your princess in another castle.

Title : Hitsugi no Chaika
Chaika -The Coffin Princess-

Genres: Action, Adventure, Comedy, Romance, Fantasy

Im not sure what made me download this old anime (2014), but for sure I know it was famous for our main girl which is Chaika. Consider this era, I set my expectation accordingly.

The story is about girl who only know that she need to buried her dead father remains (hence why she carried a coffin) to set him free. Sudden encounter with mercenary group which looking for a job, she get tagged with 2 team members which gonna help carry forward her duty. Apparently her background is somewhat unique that even she herself didnt notice, making her a target by several other evil group. Without spoiler the whole story, lets just say she on her way to discover who she really is and what her true goal.

As anime from mid 2010s, this is the era where anime production is kinda perfected with fluid animation, I can say that this anime production by Studio Bones are pretty good although it is not something grand. Story wise, this is kinda fun adventure of small group running from evil guys until the revelations about Chaika background. The special effect also good, especially when it related to spell effect used by Wizard in the series as Chaika is one of the them.

If we judge from the score on MAL, this is pretty average anime with good production. For me, at least it was entertaining to see our main protagonist group. It just sad that the story could be something more grand in 12 episodes, but it just remained small scale (hence kinda feel flat)

Alternative : Actually Im going 2nd season atm, I will write alternative once I finish that one.

That kinda conclude abruptly.

Title : Hitsugi no Chaika: Avenging Battle
Chaika -The Coffin Princess- Avenging Battle

Genres: Action, Adventure, Comedy, Romance, Fantasy

Continuation of first season until conclusion. Im not sure if this will be anime-only ending or something, but definitely it end of the ride.

It quite hard to explain the season 2 without spoiling whole plot. Lets just that all the build up on first season and stake are much higher here. Finally we got answer to all questions we have with the series with even more plot twist this time around. At the beginning of season we able to see our adventurer group traveling around while trying to find the remains of Chaika's father. Only halfway of season then we finally the into finishing storyline involving all others parties.

The only downside of this season are probably the ending. It felt like there have budget cut, and suddenly have to finish the series in just 10 episodes (which is weird if you ask me). As usual, the studio production quality carried forward with constant quality. The OP / ED are much more awesome this around that made me pumping watching each episodes. Personally I dont like the way story progress where it have some training & tournament in the middle of freaking war.

So the conclusion for 22 episodes? Definitely worth the time. It is not something grand like many better series out there, but it is done the story justice with proper albeit rushed ending. Definitely entertaining from beginning to the end.

Alternative : I think I will focus on anime with similar powerhouse female characters : Nanoha movie (1st & 2nd), Akatsuki no Yona, Madoka Magica & maybe Black Lagoon.