What games are you playing atm? V2

Have something to say or share? Everything else comes here!
Prime_Evil
Kraken Guard
2340 | 216
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Finished The Dark Pictures Anthology - Little Hope.

Its good. Probably the best game out of Supermassive Games since Until Dawn imo.

Last one in the Anthology with be "House of Ashes" which is set in Iraq and it will be a prequel to the first two, meaning it happens before Man of Medan.

Please dont succ.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1493 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
A tragic demise.

Title : Hob
Genre : Metroidvania, Openworld, Action, Platformer

There is some sad thing about this game. This was pitched during the era before the closure of runic games, the studio behind torchlight series. They ran out of money near the end of development, thus they lacked the time and fund to polish this games.

Hob is about a character who thrown into post apocalypse world. Guided by big friendly giant robot, our protagonist follow to a vast open area where it required to navigate through maze & solving puzzle to restore the world. As you powering up the world, it evolved into various different forms which designed as a way forward for the player. The world design alone is probably the strength of this game. It open new path to completion, a new shortcut, as well as a way to open for collectibles. This is category of "Game is Art" definitely.

However, the game suffered from many issues. Lack of polish is the main issue. The lacked focus either it want to be puzzle metroidvania or action games. Puzzles are mostly too easy, combat are way too basic while the story failed to capture any feeling. While I personally love getting lost to find next puzzle to solve, I FREAKING HATE the game where it required to do precise jumping with fixed camera. With wonky physic movement in this game, i can guaranteed you that majority of my death are either falling down unintentionally or missing a ledge by a bit.

And the ending didnt even redeem the game at all. Made me question why I did spend 8 hours playing this game when everything is bad. It need to be shorter for puzzle game or much more engaging combat to be as long as this. Last boss is pathetic.

Alternative : For atmosphere games, maybe game like Rime, Stories : Path of Destinies, Hyper Light Drifter, maybe Darksiders series.
Texalic
Grubber
333 | 23
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Starting with Teleglitch: Die More Edition:

- is a roguelike top-down shooter with retro pixel graphics. Featuring procedurally generated maps that change with each play through, you will never experience the same facility twice. Clutch your gun, walk down the dark corridors and enter each new room hoping those last few rounds of ammunition will be enough. Feel the anxiety, the paranoia and the sheer terror of Teleglitch.

I'm not a fan of pixel graphics, sometimes it is great, but sometimes I really don't see what I'm doing in the game.

Hope this one will be good. :-P

Though sometimes the descriptions sounds a lot better :mrgreen:

@iwansquall

Cookie for you, I don't read "reviews" at all, but yours are always really great. :clap:
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1493 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
One place that havent been corrupted by capitalism..... SPACE!

Title : Age of Wonders Planetfall
Genres : Turn Based, 4X, Tactical Combat, Futuristic SciFi

I tried to play the fantasy version of this, which was Age of Wonders 3, and for some reason I didnt stick to it and immediately uninstalled it. Considering this was one the main game from humble monthly, i guess i will give it a try.

OMG, I was so overwhelmed by this game at first. There are many intricate design about this game that made it harder for newcomer. I love the scifi, the alien race, as well the ability customize your leader ability. The best part? You can choose your tech-tree! This game have tons of options and customization that Im kinda surprised not many games do like this anymore. You can choose leader, race, secret technology, weapon type to focused, and even the faction to ally/fight in the game which you access to more unit type or technology!

While the simcity aspect of this game is pretty simple, this game are designed for mass army + rapid expansion, made it feel like a super fast chess games of expanding your region while balancing your economy. Spread too fast, then you will realized that your army cant cover every aspect of your empire. Thankfully there are solution in form of militia (defender in each area) that can deter small army, as well as a teleport + fast movement technology in late games.

The campaign are designed to be like sandbox, where all map are randomly generated, but still have specific goals / objective you have to achieve in order to win. You also have to make swift decision in game regarding the story progression as some of your ally can immediately betray you if you dont pay close attention to their dialogue. Imagine play 6 different factions with just 2 missions each, all your decisions are carried forward to final showdown in the final mission where you have to choose your alliance (I went with easy one lol)

This game is really something unique. Despite I just do quick battles all games, I really enjoy the strategic of empire management despite it is shallow than many other 4X games. If you want some more action / tactical turn based games, I highly recommend this games.

Alternative : Oh boy, I been searching for this type games for a while. I will just randomly suggesting games that I felt similar to this that I have played with long time ago. Fallen Enchantress series, Heroes of Might & Magic (no 4 specifically), Master of Magic / Orion (yeah old dos games) and lastly Civilization Beyond Earth.
Wotan
Astral Guardian
1926 | 159
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
@Iwan,
How do you not have a title yet? How are you not "the review brah" yet?
It takes some serious dedication to have played and reviewed so many games.

Cheers.
ParticuLarry
Ice Clan
558 | 60
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Yeah, you could do that professionally.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1493 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
nah, i just review stuff because that is the main reason im here in this forum.
I no longer play median (tried to get into sigma, but old d2 felt outdated already to me).
As im a yearly humble monthly subscriber, i get like 10 games every month, plenty of stuff to go through every month.
And not to mention that epic games store and steam also have tons of free games lately.
With current situation in the real world, as well as trying to catch up with latest anime.

I also bought game in a rush when there is other reason for it (sale, friends)
I dislike spend too much times on one game (I spend 1.2k hours on Destiny 2 over previous 5 months)
Making it a relief that I can stop once a new expansion came out, and move on other games.
So you can expect more rapid games review in next couple of months

As for review quality itself, it is still not on professional level. My goals always wanted to write short review
It is more like practice to sharpen my english, as well as a way to improve my typing skills.
I need to find a way to communicate information more concise & clear in the review.
There are more details review you can find on other platform like gaming youtube channel or gaming site.
But personally I will judge game as a part of budget gamer who dislike buying 60 usd games on the launch
Hence why you see Im review old games (usually it depend if it worth your time or not)

Im playing games atm :
1. Titan Quest Ragnarok & Atlantis atm (my friend is too damn slow + not always available)
2. Yakuza Kiwami 2
3. Lightmatter
4. Several other games that Im not 100% sure if I planned to finish them tbh
Jampula
Amazon Warrior
1677 | 91
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
iwansquall wrote:Im playing games atm :
1. Titan Quest Ragnarok & Atlantis atm (my friend is too damn slow + not always available)

Didn't you some time ago say TQ was too slow for your taste? Ragnarok was a disappointment to me, the myth just wasn't there. It was too easy and pretty boring.

I agree with the others, your reviews are a pleasure to read, even though you play pretty different games than me.

I started to play Grim Dawn again, at the moment lvl 91 Dervish and 85 Warlord. Also decided to start Mass Effect trilogy, I have only finished the first one before, now I plan to play them all in a row so I can finally finish the story.
iwansquall
Harpylisk
1493 | 71
Common Posting Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Supporter Badge
Donated 1 time
Hell, its about god damned time.

Title : Titan Quest Anniversary Edition (Ragnarok & Atlantis DLC)
Genre : Action RPG, Hack & Slash, Mythical Fantasy, Ancient Adventure

Disclaimer :
► Show Spoiler

As you might have guessed, this review are mainly for Ragnarok & Atlantis DLC which bring a lot of quality of life changes as well as some new skills and even whole mastery tree with new maximum level. Apparently they changed the level progression, that might made game feel faster, but i cant say anything about that. One improvement I really love is probably the dedicated relic & charm stash and the ability to auto combine them via sorting button. I played with runic mastery with double throwing weapon as weapon of choices.

Ragnarok DLC
Ragnarok started very weird to me. Mostly because suddenly the game now required us to kill human enemy instead of mystical creatures. While there was many humanoid enemy in the past, the most jarring part in this part is probably the weird sound balance ESPECIALLY the audio from new human enemy. I also kinda like hate some of level design in the beginning which seem have a lot of tight corridor (in town specifically) that made it terrible to navigate through. The snowy area is kinda cool (see what i did there?) although only later half part of the DLC that I felt more interesting.

As for enemy type, there are tons of enemy type although some of them feel like reskinned of base titan quest enemy. Some of them are quite unique, but i really hate those humans enemy which are WAY TOO MUCH in this DLC. While I like new boss pattern standing in middle of a pool, I still curious why it designed that way that made melee character have slightly harder time to reach. To be frank, most of the boss fight arent memorable except for 1 or 2, which mostly because those boss made weird voices to taunt you.

Atlantis DLC
Atlantis started with a boat ride after reaching act 4. This is a warning as I reached super high level after finishing ragnarok, I was WAY OUTLEVEL enemy to a point that I can just spec some point into spell just to map clear faster. However, Atlantis managed to mesmerize me with its SUPERB level design. There are several area in this DLC that designed for you to be able to see opposite side of the map which lacked in Ragnarok. The beautiful town, the lush green area, overgrown atlantis town, made it feel sad that I have to rush this DLC too fast.

Enemy design seem to be more on animal / mythical type this type around. While I cant say much about the difficulty of this DLC, at least it feel more variety and less annoying than Ragnarok enemy. Some boss are kinda memorable with GIANT CRAB LOBSTER or GIANT SNAKE instead of typical humanoid enemy. The DLC however felt very short though, in fact it is probably the shortest act compared other previous act, which could a plus or minus depend on which one you like (because of my easy rush playthrough made it felt much shorter).

There are several other aspect in Titan Quest that I havent address. First there is optional content like Tartarus dungeon (endless?) which have a unique boss we havent beaten (because we are high level with normal difficulty gear....). 2nd is that the game have many secret bosses that Im not sure we will able to tackle in future or not. And lastly, Titan Quest ONLY GET GOOD in higher difficulty, so we will have to wait for that. I tried to play with old bow ranger character, but it seem like the character still struggle with super slow progression.

Should you pay to play both? : Yes, but the caveat only if you can grind to legendary difficulty. Tons of mods to help with your slow playthrough & farming.
Alternative : Grimdawn..... (basic grimdawn is meh, but both expansion ARE SO FREAKING GOOD)
Wotan
Astral Guardian
1926 | 159
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Great Love Badge
Earned over 100 cookies
Iwan, it would be nice if you could also include overall rating at the top. From 1-100 or the classic 1-10. In the description you can include the various other ratings that make the overall one. I don't know, it seems appropriate to me and more efficient.