[Not recommended as of 2.1] Maelstrom Assassin miniguide

Find a handful of guides and walkthroughs here!
Istaryu
Harpylisk
1441 | 58
Common Posting Badge
Posted over 1.000 messages
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Just a funny vid i recorded. I failed like 10 times before this one succesful kill, then this happened:

Captcha
Mangler
486 | 26
Common Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 10.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Heh yeah I've done that too, forgotten cube isn't empty. Brave of you to drop it and risk losing all that stuff! :facepalm:

EDIT: If you don't mind a couple of thoughts that might be useful info in the guide:

(1) Storm Crows at 1 point prereq is sometimes (situationally) useful to carry Ways as well early on. In places where you can't aim easily, the homing aspect is good (because you don't have time cos of having to cast and move quickly). It burns mana fast though. I used it in the Duriel fight and also places where I want to burn something down fast.

(2) After doing Meph in Normal, there's an option to do more Meph runs to get ACs and make gear from gambled bases.
I did Meph at lvl 32 and it was so easy I ran it many times and ended up lvl 42 with lots of gear for other chars and lots of ACs which I used to make some good TUs. The rest of normal was a breeze - and a lot of NM.
jwei92
Vampiress
35 | 0
Legendary Supporter Badge
Donated 25 times
Maybe a dumb question, but I just got to Act 3 and have yet to get an Eth Rune. Since downgrading is removed, what can I do until Act 5 because almost any elemental attack deletes me.
Captcha
Mangler
486 | 26
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
jwei92 wrote:Maybe a dumb question, but I just got to Act 3 and have yet to get an Eth Rune. Since downgrading is removed, what can I do until Act 5 because almost any elemental attack deletes me.

Socket gems into your gear? Upgrade other runes to an Eth?
Istaryu
Harpylisk
1441 | 58
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
jwei92 wrote:Maybe a dumb question, but I just got to Act 3 and have yet to get an Eth Rune. Since downgrading is removed, what can I do until Act 5 because almost any elemental attack deletes me.

You can uptier runes. If you still dont have anough i guess you can kill countess a few times to make one.
Captcha
Mangler
486 | 26
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Small typo in guide. Purity should be 4/4 not 3/3?

Also wondering if it's all that important - or maybe just a case of "nothing else to do with the points"?
Same question re mana mastery - with
Void
Void
Weapons

'Sur'
Runeword Level: 75
Adds 7-13 Damage
+(58 to 72)% Enhanced Damage
Slow Target 20%
Regenerate Mana +15%
Cold Resist +40%
Physical Damage Reduced by (11 to 15)
+(3 to 5) Mana on Striking
2% Reanimate as: Random Monster
it shouldn't be needed, but the next upgrade would need it since it doesn't have mana on striking?

HTH
Edited by Captcha 2 years.
FlexMantello
Destroyer
6 | 0
Hi, quick question. Why does this build spec out of the Ways? They add a ton of damage and elemental pierce, no?
prolexy
Destroyer
7 | 0
First Big Thanks for Guide.

Im now Hell Act 2 and lack hardcore on Dmg...got all TU upgrade + Mo...but didnt found any HR like Sur for Weapon.

Where can i farm runes or other option for upgrading Weapon?
Captcha
Mangler
486 | 26
Common Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
FlexMantello wrote:Hi, quick question. Why does this build spec out of the Ways? They add a ton of damage and elemental pierce, no?

Not enough points.

Maelstrom + Doom is really big endgame damage with Wychwind as boss killer. Ways only add flat damage which isn't boosted in any way by the other choices. Later on, that flat damage doesn't do that much against the tougher enemies compared to the other options.
Istaryu
Harpylisk
1441 | 58
Common Posting Badge
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Captcha wrote:Small typo in guide. Purity should be 4/4 not 3/3?

Also wondering if it's all that important - or maybe just a case of "nothing else to do with the points"?
Same question re mana mastery - with
Void
Void
Weapons

'Sur'
Runeword Level: 75
Adds 7-13 Damage
+(58 to 72)% Enhanced Damage
Slow Target 20%
Regenerate Mana +15%
Cold Resist +40%
Physical Damage Reduced by (11 to 15)
+(3 to 5) Mana on Striking
2% Reanimate as: Random Monster
it shouldn't be needed, but the next upgrade would need it since it doesn't have mana on striking?

HTH

Mana cost was reduced greatly so there is no need for void anymore. I think it is even possible to just skop it and go for a craft.

prolexy wrote:First Big Thanks for Guide.

Im now Hell Act 2 and lack hardcore on Dmg...got all TU upgrade + Mo...but didnt found any HR like Sur for Weapon.

Where can i farm runes or other option for upgrading Weapon?

It might be possible to skip void and go for a craft instead.

I just went to kill hell countess to see how good it is for rune farming: