Diablo 2 v1.14b notes and issues.

Threads that no longer serve a purpose. Read-only.
Segolia
Djinn
541 | 38
Great Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 50.000 views
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Created a complete character guide
Diablo II v1.14a Patch Notes

Specific Changes & Improvements
- No need to run in XP mode anymore, Windows 7, 8.1, and 10 compatibility complete
- Mac installer and compatibility for 10.10 and 10.11 has arrived
- First client run will migrate saved characters to avoid issues from Windows system
admin changes

Known Issues
- Mac 10.9 and earlier are not supported

Diablo II v1.14b

- Glide Wrapper will now load properly on PC by adding -3dfx to the end of the game shortcut
- Mercenaries will no longer become “An Evil Force”
- Fixed Mac client crash on “Save & Exit”
- Capped the frame rate to 200 to save batteries, spare system load, and prevent hot lap syndrome
- Created new German installers to fix localization issues in Act V (Will require a fresh install to fix the missing dialogue data)

Notes

• Downloading Diablo II 1.14a fresh from Blizzards website (no prior version) will cause trouble with successfully downgrading your game to 1.13c or lower (a blank error). If you had 1.13c or lower installed initially, you won't come across this issue. 1.14a will now be the default digital download for Diablo II.

• D2SE will not work if you did a fresh 1.14a install. Again if you had not initially downloaded 1.14a as your base, you have nothing to worry about.
  • If at any point you need to downgrade your version of diablo back to 1.13 or lower after downloading 1.14a, if you previously had 1.13c or lower installed, follow this guide. If you had downloaded 1.14a fresh from Blizzards website, consider using a tormented Diablo II until a solution is found.
  • You can avoid having your game update entirely as long as you don't launch cLoD and click on battle.net. Even if Median XL works with this new version, you cannot play on TSW unless otherwise changed.
  • The new patch runs a script that removes D2vidtest from your directory. To be able to fix this issue, download this zip, and extract it to your Diablo II folder. Run d2vidtext and select to the video setting of your choice. This works on a 1.14a install from blizzard's website, and others. (Thanks to xardeks for this fix)
    Edit: This is STILL removed in 1.14b! Still applies. To further note, glidewrapper had work mostly fine on previous versions, despite what they said. However, they still remove the resources needed to be able to install it in the first place.
  • The new patch relocates the save folder under users\your username\saved games\diablo II. I do not know what the directory is for Mac users, (or if that has changed), if anyone knows, please let me know! You will have to move your save folder back to your game directory if you update to 1.14a and want to downgrade back and keep your save files. In OS X the save folder is in the same directory that you chose to install Diablo 2 in.
  • Notes on OS X, courtesy of the8thark
    ► Show Spoiler

• Text files in patch_d2.mpq are removed, revert to an older version if you want to modify the game and grab the text files. Mods will still work, including -direct -text. Modifying the game with 1.13c files while running 1.14a base will function the same as before. I don't know why they would do this when 1.13c/d text files still work :scratch:
  • Median XL does work, however there are some font coloring issues.
  • PlugY, as expected, does not work either.

Bugs

• None that I can notice now, currently.
Edited by Segolia 8 years.
whist
Team Member
634 | 557
Legendary Popularity Badge
Has a thread with over 250.000 views
Legendary Love Badge
Earned over 500 cookies
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
D2SE will not work either, it didn't even work for 1.13d. As for MXL, it should work, doubt they touched actual game code. More likely fixed some memory issues and stuff like that. Also new warden code on Bnet, this explains the recent ban waves reported @ Blizzhackers
Segolia
Djinn
541 | 38
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
D2SE will not work either, it didn't even work for 1.13d.

Odd, D2SE works fine for me while I have 1.13d though. Did D2SE fix that at some point?
whist
Team Member
634 | 557
Legendary Love Badge
Earned over 500 cookies
Legendary Contribution Badge
Median XL Team Member
Segolia wrote:Odd, D2SE works fine for me while I have 1.13d though. Did D2SE fix that at some point?

D2SE runs independently of D2, so you can use it while having any version installed but, you will not be able to play 1.13d version or higher via D2SE.
kiki22vu
KOSOVAR
573 | 45
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
nice for sure, keep patching d2 and ban those hax and bots
SeaWeed
Thunder Beetle
56 | 4
Thanks for the information
Segolia
Djinn
541 | 38
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Patch released, updated the main post about it's notes and how it works with stuff.
Warren1001
Monkey King
259 | 10
Great Popularity Badge
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
Segolia wrote:Still need to go fullscreen to be able to run glidewrapper (unless you use d2se of course~)

Or use the target command -3dfx
Segolia
Djinn
541 | 38
Great Popularity Badge
Common Love Badge
Earned over 20 cookies
Common Guide Badge
Warren1001 wrote:
Segolia wrote:Still need to go fullscreen to be able to run glidewrapper (unless you use d2se of course~)

Or use the target command -3dfx

Yes, but with some issues. Disabling Desktop composition must be turned on, but the mouse will not capture while in the main menu until you enter the game.
I get a white screen on Diablo that doesen't even attempt to load when I do not have Desktop composition on.

Also there are various reports of some issues, such as save files being completely relocated and hidden, mercenaries become unuseable when another player joins your game, and more. An important note about the saves are in the main post.
Edited by Segolia 8 years.
Warren1001
Monkey King
259 | 10
Great Popularity Badge
Common Contribution Badge
Has collaborated to our forums, realms or mod
Yeah, save files are relocated to avoid the administrative errors. Mercenaries thing is true.